• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 4, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 04, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 04, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 04, 2021

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Please don't tie your cables with cabletie to your PSU fan shield

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 02:10 AM PDT

    I fucked up, you shouldn't. PSU fan has not been working for months.

    PSU popped when I was using the PC at 3 AM, people woke up and shit.

    I still don't know whether MOBO or god forbid, graphics card was damaged or not. Will buy a replacement PSU in the upcoming days.

    Edit: photo of it: https://hizliresim.com/Ufpt2i

    submitted by /u/Dapplication
    [link] [comments]

    I recently build a pc and wondered if there is a Software where I can sync the RGB with the content on the screen

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 01:54 AM PDT

    When you thought you checked ‘em all, check ‘em all again!

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    So I finished my first build in about 15 years early this morning (about 0130). It has been in progress through various stages for several weeks as parts came in, I'd do a little more. Up until this past week I was just waiting on the processor to arrive so I could install it and then transfer my RTX 2080 from my Razer Core X to the new PC (since buying an RTX 3090 is proving to be an impossible chore). Super excited.

    Turn it on, super silent (my first time with liquid cooling, a Kraken Z73), ahhhh! Nothing screaming at me, no weird errors, a complete success (or so I thought).

    Then after about 3 minutes the most horrendous noise ever. Open the panel, listen close, sounds like the AIO pump. To be thorough check all the fans and cable ties and make sure nothing is getting ticked against fan blades. Nothing. "Well shit," I think, "there's air in it." Rock the case back and forth, prop the front up, everything I'm finding on the internet to do to try and work air out of the pump. Nothing is working. Close the case door back up for awhile. The whole time I'm installing Windows I'm listening to this horrendous sound like someone blowing bubbles through a straw into a glass of water. Reading it could take a couple hours to work itself out.

    Windows install finishes, I feel as though as I'm about to lose my mind from this noise, it is almost 0100 this morning and I worked all day so I was exhausted anyhow. Decided to look one more time. Open the case again. Check all the fans and cables to make sure something isn't hitting a fan blade...

    INCLUDING THE ONE I FORGOT TO CHECK BEFORE!!!

    Yes, it was in the Opt Fan 2 Header which just so happens to sit right under the 2080 fans and the 3 way splitter cable was ticking the fan blade. Bend it down, Silence!!! Oh my sanity!!

    Power down and move it down to Opt Fan 3 to give more clearance. Problem solved!

    I guess when I added the graphics card, I didn't notice how close that fan header was and lost sight of the cable.

    TL:DR - If you're checking cables check them ALL, don't forget about the ones that hide away and can't be easily seen.

    submitted by /u/OriginalJayVee
    [link] [comments]

    What's the absolute lowest motherboard that can handle 11400(F)?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 01:47 PM PDT

    Hi. With the newly released i5 11400 being a great budget option for new pc builders, what is the absolute lowest motherboard that one can get away with. For examle, could a motherboard like AsRock H510M-HDV hold up with 11th gen i5's, being the low-end office motherboard that it is. As you can tell, I'm really looking to save money here.

    submitted by /u/p3nts
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy an old GPU or wait for a better price on a new one?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 10:51 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm very new to the whole building a PC thing. And it just so happens that when I want to build my first that GPUs are absolutely bonkers right now. A friend of mine suggested this subreddit so I thought I'd ask.

    Is it worth it to buy an old GPU if I can find a good deal instead of waiting for any RTX 20- or 30-whatevers? I'll show the deals I could find and what stuff I plan on running. I'm not even sure if they are good deals. Probably not?

    EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb - 270 usd
    MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4gb - 325 usd
    GeForce GT 1030 - 100 usd
    GeForce GTX 1050 ti - 235 usd

    Stuff I want to run:
    DOOM and DOOM Eternal
    Destiny 2
    Microsoft Visual Studio Community
    Unity
    DaVinci Resolve
    Reaper by Cockos
    Minecraft with shaders would be cool too lol

    I also want to make sure that I am able to swap this out for a better card in the future, like some RTX. My roommate's laptop has a GTX 1070 in it and it's an absolute beast to me, so I'm wondering if any of these cards are feasible. Thanks for your time, I know that was a lot!

    submitted by /u/synthchris
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my 6+2 GPU cable from my PSU have two ends on the same cable? And why does this cable have multiple along it?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 10:47 AM PDT

    Sorry if that title is weird, didn't quite know how to word it. I have a Corsair CX 650 PSU and it came with some really bizarre cables. This 6+2 cable has two end(?) points and I'm worried that I'm missing something about why there are two? Is it just in case you have multiple GPUs?

    And this cable which plug into my Peripheral and Sata port in the power supply has like 4 additional plugs along the cable as seen here. Is that also just in case you need to plug 4 things in?

    submitted by /u/RubberSoul28
    [link] [comments]

    I need help about my build i'm struggling

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 06:33 AM PDT

    Hey guys, i m new to pc building and i am getting a system with RTX 3060 and ryzen 5 5600x. My budget is not too great but i found an awesome 1440p monitor (32 inches/ 165hz) its on sale for a few more days and i really want to buy it as well (monitor will be a gift so its not in my budget)

    The problem is this setup seems to struggle a little bit with games on 1440p.

    My questions are as follows:

    Would i have way too much problems with this setup low fps/drops etc. ?

    Is it plausible to play 1080p on a 1440p monitor

    Should i try to get a 3070 system instead?

    And if i do manage to get a 3070 system will 8gb of vram be enough?

    I am a newbie in this area so any knowledge you can spare would be really helpful

    submitted by /u/Leviquinn-V
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Windows 10

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 02:23 PM PDT

    So my old PC obviously already had Windows 10. I'm building a brand new one and I'm afraid about the Windows 10 install since I don't have a key for it. My old PC had my Microsoft account on it and everything, so if I log in to my Microsoft account on the new one, will it activate Windows 10? Or will I be stuck on the free version of Windows 10 and will be forced to buy a new key?

    submitted by /u/Libertinob
    [link] [comments]

    Fan and pump curve for Aquacomputer

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    I just finished my build and trying to figure out what would be a good fan/pump curve.

    I have a 560 rad per loop. Currently I am just running the pumps at 20% and have the fans work in a curve based on the coolant temperature. 25c - 30c.

    https://imgur.com/a/OWoiAlg

    Any suggestions for either fan or pump settings?

    submitted by /u/nsoifer
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good used PC for a 9 year old?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    My son's turning 9 soon and he desperately wants a better PC for gaming. He currently only plays Minecraft and Roblox, but I'm sure he'll get into some different games in the near future. I'd like to get him a better pc that can handle current and future gaming, but don't want to spend anywhere near $1,000.

    What do you guys think of this used gamer pc from this Craigslist listing? Is it worth $400? Are these components good enough for a 9 year old now and last at least another 2-3 years? What should I look for when inspecting it? Are there ways of telling if a CPU or graphic card is damaged or overused?

    submitted by /u/DesertTiger26
    [link] [comments]

    So I have a terrible cable management. Any solutions

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 11:57 AM PDT

    I have a large desk with a lot of space behind the monitors meaning I can't solve the issue. Any tips or ideas? https://imgur.com/a/3bTaB7a

    submitted by /u/King-Of-Anonymous
    [link] [comments]

    Will an arctic liquid freeze 2 360 fit inside an Corsair 4000d airflow with a MSI B450 tomahawk pro max and two sticks of ram in dual channel?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    Looking to upgrade my cpu cooler so that when I upgrade later on, I don't have to worry about temps. Looking to buy the arctic liquid freeze 2 360 now but am worried about if it will fit inside. I've tried doing the math but it's not the same as having the parts in front of you. For my case I have a Corsair 4000d airflow and I have a MSI b450 tomahawk pro max with two sticks of ram. Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/Drinking-Ducks
    [link] [comments]

    CPU fan hitting 3k rpm

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    Hey guys, my cpu fan hit 3k rpm during gaming of apex legends, for the first time ever. It was so loud.
    Here's my stuff : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Unholypc/saved/#view=B9yGLk

    Before playing today I updated my AMD GPU drivers ( the adrenaline software )

    The cpu is running at 4.1 GHz ( edit )

    My CPU temperatures on CPUID hardware monitor did not exceed 72 C during that peak in fan speed. I'm really curious as my CPU has been warmer before but my cooler fan never went berserk like that.

    3700x stock cooler, NZXT H510 case + 2 extra fans
    My gpu temps were at a max of 81 C on hotspot - Sapphire nitro plus 5700 xt 8gb
    Any ideas on why this happened? Is it normal ? Any way I can investigate more ? TIA

    submitted by /u/Unholy7ds
    [link] [comments]

    Should I go with the MSI B550-A Pro mobo or the MSI B550 Gaming Plus mobo for ryzen 5000?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:35 PM PDT

    Just curious.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    Now that I have swapped to a newer laptop, my Dell Vostro 14 5480 is essentially a spare laptop; but rather than just simply throwing it away, I might - emphasis on might, since I know literally nothing about PC building - do something to it. Is there anyway I can upgrade it, and what parts are compatible to it?

    submitted by /u/Ian1231100
    [link] [comments]

    Any chance this mistake may cause problems later on?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:24 PM PDT

    So i recently has a shop upgrade the psu in my rig, brought it home and ran it about a total of 4-6 hours tops. During this time I noticed one of the gpu fans were not reporting a speed according to HW Monitor. Didn't really think anything of it at first, I just thought it must have required higher temperatures before kicking on. However upon further inspection I saw the psu cables that were bundled together ran very close underneath the gpu. The placement of the plug for an additional gpu was positioned so that it blocked the fan from spinning. I don't know if this was the shop's doing or if it shifted in transit. Either way I moved it and tested the gpu. Luckily the fan now kicks in, matches the other's speed on Monitor, makes no excessive noise. I think i may have dodged a bullet? Will this come back to haunt me later?

    submitted by /u/HellTrain72
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of replacing my Ryzen 3600 for 4350g (no GPU)

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:24 PM PDT

    So I built my PC around the Ryzen 5 3600 but do not have a GPU. I found the Ryzen 4350g with integrated graphics but wondered if my 3600 cooler would fit as the 4350g doesn't have a cooler. I have B550-f gaming that says it supports the 4350g but might need a bios update. Last question if I get the 4350g can I add a GPU later?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/whitemamba24xx
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a big difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm on hdd?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 02:34 PM PDT

    I don't really need hdd for games or anything like that, i would use it for storing files, videos, etc. The difference between 4tb 7200 and 5400 rpm is 100$ and i don't really think it's worth it.

    submitted by /u/alangetar
    [link] [comments]

    Newegg Previous Gen GPU Restocking

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    Hello, r/buildapc I am looking to buy a gpu at the moment like many others but thanks to scalpers and crypto miners I obviously can't get my hands on one at a reasonable price. I saw that newegg sells cards at msrp but they're all out of stock. Does anybody know how frequently they restock previous generation cards but more specifically the gtx 1650 or 1650 super? Thank you for your time regardless.

    submitted by /u/tolandthefullyintact
    [link] [comments]

    Newly built pc keeps CTD, and sometimes restarts computer

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 02:30 PM PDT

    Hello, I just built a new computer, and my games keep randomly CTD, or worse case scenario restarts my PC. My build I have is Intel i9-10900k comet lake Cooler master 360 cooler Asus ROG Strix z490-E Ripjaws V 3200mhz 32g ram (2x16) Evga ftw3 3080 Evga 850 ga psu Two m.2 one 500g with windows on it One 1tb for games 3 case fans Lian li 011 dynamic case

    So first, I updated my BioS to the latest software to enable resizable BAR, which means I also updated the graphics card and everything else. I ran into problems first enabling this, I had no display after I enabled it, so i turned it back off, and had to boot windows in uefi mode, then turn the resizable bar back on to get it to work properly. Then I tried gaming, and the crashing started. Next I updated all my drivers, updated windows, and turned off the firewall and ran the games as administrator one at a time of course. Still crashes. Then I swapped my 3080 out for my 1080 out of my old pc, and it still crashes. I ran the windows memory diagnostics tool to check my ram, and there's no problems. I monitored my temps while playing games, and usually my gpu and cpu run around 60-75c depending on the load of the video game. I can't swap my old mobo or cpu, as I had AMD and these are intel. Any help or instructions would be greatly appreciated as I really want my expensive new pc to run properly.

    submitted by /u/codycorson19
    [link] [comments]

    Would a gtx 1650 super fit my needs for my first pc?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 09:30 AM PDT

    I initially was going to buy a 3080, but since the gpu market poopoo, of course the 3080 is hella overpriced. I saw a gtx 1650 super for $579.99 CAD, should I buy it, or wait for the 3080 to restock. I just want to run my games at least 120-144 fps at medium settings generally, as I'm also going to get a 144hz monitor.

    submitted by /u/kairudude
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a waste of money to get a 3080 graphics card when planning to play in 1080p

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 02:22 PM PDT

    This is my first time building a pc. I got a 144hz 1080p curved monitor for my xbox and a future pc about six months ago. I have a budget of $2000 and want to get a pretty powerful pc. I want to do pc vr and I know 3080's are good for that. I would also play non vr games and I would be using the monitor I have. Would it be a waste of money to get a high powered graphics card like a 3080 if I was to play in 1080p. I could afford to upgrade my monitor but since it is only six months old it seems kind of wasteful. Would it be recommended to get a 2070 or 2080 if I am playing in 1080p. I also would like to use the graphics card that I get for a while to come so would a 3080 stay relevant longer than a 2080?

    submitted by /u/Zestyclose-Wasabi588
    [link] [comments]

    Screen flicker/glitch when using chrome, edge, firefox while game running in background since last week.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    Only happens when theres a game running the background such as Apex, OW and Bluestacks.

    Didnt go on my PC from the 23rd to the 30th of March. Windows self updated on the 30th and now i have WebEdge View Runtime 2 in my control panel which always reinstalls itself.

    I've installed all pending windows updates, turned hardware acceleration off, background accents off, smooth scrolling off and driver reinstallations.

    I feel like WebEdge View Runtime 2, a new version of Chrome or Windows update might be causing because these are the only things that changed.

    Ive found few posts discussing all with solutions that dont work. Any other people having this? More tips would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/luffy2512
    [link] [comments]

    Prebuilt help

    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 10:35 AM PDT

    https://www.ebuyer.com/1142234-alphasync-rtx-3060-amd-ryzen-5-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-as-d5503 found this prebuilt, is it worth it and will it run well? Looks good to me but I'm not very knowledgeable

    submitted by /u/Distantbutton57
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment