• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 3, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 03, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 03, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 03, 2021

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    so... this is fucked, right?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 03:32 AM PDT

    update: it's fucked. thanks everyone, but i snapped a few pins... gave it my best! thanks for all the tips and suggestions. for anyone wondering, i had the best luck with a needle, pushing them up row by row.

    https://imgur.com/a/WLdRhyA

    i have no idea how this happened, anyway i can fix this myself?

    submitted by /u/AffectionateRole9438
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing PSU and a word of warning about buying pre-builts.

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 12:52 PM PDT

    Due to the recent GPU shortage, I opted to buy a pre-built PC instead of build my own for the first time. In January I bought the "no rush" Cyberpower deal with a 3070 and and a 5600x, exactly what I wanted. The deal I went with originally had a 3060ti, but there was a free upgrade to the 3070. What I was too green to know is that Cyberpower doesn't really look at what they are offering and make sure everything works together.

    I got the PC and everything worked well, but I would occasionally experience crashes that I didn't understand. Trying to use the Spotify webplayer would cause my computer to crash. Occasionally in the middle of playing games the computer would crash. Looking into it, and people on this sub suggested a number of things but many of them come back to the PSU. The PSU that came with my computer was the generic Cyberpower unit, and it was 600 W. The recommended power for a 3070 build is 650 W. There is my problem. I do additional research, buy good PSU at 750 W and I assume all is well. It was not that easy.

    The generic PSU is a non-modular unit. Long story short, I was going to get a taste of building a PC myself, because the cables from a non-modular unit can't be disconnected from the unit, but only unplugged from the MOBO, and excised all together. I was then able to put the new PSU in and get all of the new cables that came with it hooked up to the MOBO and the GPU and all is well again.

    Why am I telling this long story? Because I'm sure there are people in this sub like me who want to build a PC for the first time, will grow frustrated with GPU market and opt for a pre-built. My advice is make sure all of the pre-built parts work together, don't just assume the company building it is won't put parts together that won't work together, because they might.

    As an addendum, Cyberpower is kind of a trash company and I wouldn't buy from them again even though my computer is working fine. There are tons of stories of people's computers not working, and I was on hold to talk to customer service for an hour, and then they just disconnected me. Do yourself a favor and buy from someone else.

    submitted by /u/AuNanoMan
    [link] [comments]

    Best budget mic for streaming?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 11:56 AM PDT

    I am looking for a decent budget mic for streaming and recording videos. What are your recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Adept-Expression
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to switch the display from the gpu to the actual motherboard without seeing anything?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 10:29 AM PDT

    I've had my built pc for about 5 months now. and its been working great up until yesterday.

    The night of, I turned off my PC by clicking shut down in windows. And after noticing it was still on when i turned off the monitor, I turned it off through the case. Then last morning, I turn it on to see nothing displaying on the monitor and an unusual red light indicating the vga is not plugged in correctly. the red light would switch to cpu, ram, then to stay on gpu for the rest of the time. The computer seems to be functioning fine. the cpu is running with its fan. ram sticks are clicked in. The gpu is running and clicked in. Is there a way to switch the display from using the gpu to cpu without having to have no display?

    I worked on this all day yesterday and got no where. I'm trying to fix it, so i dont have to go to the tech store and pay for it.

    not sure if this is important, but my pc needed to install a new windows update. I specifically clicked shut down, and not update and shut down. But it may have showed me something I didn't see when i turned off my monitor. I was in a hurry to go somewhere. and thats the reason i turned it off through the case

    Things ive tried already: -reinstalling the gpu about 5 times already taking it out and putting it back in (into different pci slots as well). -taking out and putting back in the ram sticks

    any suggestions would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/SnooMaps7318
    [link] [comments]

    Building a new gaming PC within a month. Need help choosing RAM.

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 07:09 AM PDT

    Was thinking about Ryzen 5 5600X + RTX 3060Ti on a good B550 Platform. But I am having difficulties with picking the perfect RAM. Somebody please help. Some choices were :- G.Skill Trident Z, G.Skill Ripjaws, Adata XPG. Budget :- $100-200. 16Gigs required.

    submitted by /u/CrackinJacks26
    [link] [comments]

    PC noob

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 10:25 AM PDT

    Hey guys I found a PC for 1500, it's got a ryzen5 3600, rtx 2060 6gb, and 16g ram. I'm a console games that knows absolutely nothing about PC, but looking for a good starter PC to get my foot in the door. I'll mostly still be gaming AAA titles on console, but want a PC for steam game sand streaming

    Any advice you can offer would go a long way, thanks!

    submitted by /u/KaleidoscopeIll3157
    [link] [comments]

    Wow Rig?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 01:06 PM PDT

    Building a new rig to play WoW/League (old rig died). Trying to keep decent frames in raid.

    Already have an AMD Ryzen 3600, GTX 1070, looking for advice on a decently priced budget build?

    submitted by /u/bluewaveinaredsea
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 2080ti enough for my needs?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    Since ive been waiting for a 3080 since launch ive finally caved and started looking for used 2080Ti cards to supplement my gaming pc till i can get a 3080. Will the 2080ti + 32gb 3000mhz ram + 10900kf be able to push constant 120fps at max settings on coldwar(excluding raytracing) on a 3440×1440p monitor?

    submitted by /u/SexyRexy115
    [link] [comments]

    My GPU is dying, what the hell do I do

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 10:46 AM PDT

    The bottom half of my screen keeps blinking light blue, and my computer as a whole has started running hot to the touch. I have a 1660ti. What can I do

    submitted by /u/Pupseal115
    [link] [comments]

    Finally got a 3080, won't show up or detect on my PC. Please help.

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 02:30 PM PDT

    I've searched everything I could, but nothing.

    Upgraded from a 2070 super to an MSI 3080 gaming x trio

    I plug everything in. Two separate PSU cables, 3 cables slots. All plugged in. Lights turn on, no fans though. Neither DPI nor HDMI cause the monitor to turn on. If I plug the HDMI directly into my mobo, it turns on fine. But the 3080 isn't showing up in anything. I even went through and deleted all my old drivers. Can't even download geforce because it says it requires a gpu. Please help me if you can, I've been waiti G for this for so long.

    submitted by /u/AnbuDaddy6969
    [link] [comments]

    Is this UPS decent to protect my gaming PC ?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 10:40 AM PDT

    Where I live electricity goes out for 1 second but not as much in the summer like 10 seconds or more which is enough to shut down my PC, my main concern is just to protect my PC from power spikes and surges not to give it a long runtime like 10 min to save work during a blackout or such.

    I already almost spent all my budget on PC components/peripherals and I only have in hands this old 390W LOAD UPS which I used it for around a year or two back then in 2011 on my desktop before I switch to laptop and put it aside after, the battery is dead which I'm going to replace for sure if I had to use it again.

    The issue, is it a bad idea to use this old UPS (like can it damage my rig) and also can it handle my PC load in case of an electricity issue.

    TL;DR: Is it bad to use an old UPS, can a 390W max load handle this PC.

    PC parts:

    CPU: I5 10400F

    Graphic Card: RTX 2060 ASUS ROG STRIX OC

    PSU: 550W Gold PSU

    RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL 3600MHZ

    submitted by /u/NoOneSleepsTonight
    [link] [comments]

    Coffee in PC, dunked parts in 70% isopropyl. Everything good?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    Hiya,

    Call me stupid, but about 4 ounces of coffee went through the top of my pc today.

    Flipped the power asap, pulled everything out, gently scrubbed andor dunked everything in 70% rubbing alcohol.

    There is some slight residue left over from this. I'm 99% sure my parts are all purged of coffee, despite this.

    Am I good to reassmble and try a boot without (probably) frying my tower?

    submitted by /u/MonthFrosty2871
    [link] [comments]

    Popped PC

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 02:04 PM PDT

    Hi, so my built pc won't turn on after playing games two days ago. I heard a pop sound and it turned off on me. I looked online and assumed it was the power supply so I went and got a new one yesterday. Unfortunately I don't think it was the power supply. My guess is that it's the motherboard, but I am unsure. I've been trying to reach out to multiple computer repair shops but they're either busy or don't get back to me. Could the cpu or graphic card cause a popping noise? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ZoroDoroPak
    [link] [comments]

    Hard disk Problem

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 07:11 AM PDT

    My hdd can be seen from task manager but i cant access it in file explorer, Fixed gotta create anew pool for hdd

    submitted by /u/Ok_Foundation_1840
    [link] [comments]

    My Friend's PC Won't Boot - "B1InitializeLibrary failed 0x0000001"

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm posting this for my friend to help him out. The pandemic's been rough for him and he's not comfortable posting to Reddit himself.

    If you all could help diagnose this issue, such as what part we need to replace, or further diagnostic/troubleshooting steps, I would really appreciate it. We think the motherboard needs to be replaced but we'd like to confirm that before spending more money. No one we know has seen this issue before.

    Specs:

    • Motherboard: Z270 prime series. (Most likely culprit)
    • Cpu: Intel i7-7700k kaby lake
    • Gpu: Geforce rtx 2070 Ram: 16gb
    • Power supply: Corsair CX 750M

    Issue: Unable to boot up Windows installer usb or HDD with installed windows. Gets a black screen with "B1InitializeLibrary failed 0x0000001". Screenshot: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/614314748238102528/827740690615762964/20210402_200555.jpg

    Symptoms:

    • Motherboard bios is accessible, tried turning off secure boot but does not allow. Including the above 4g decoding and turning off RAID feature.
    • Motherboard confirms CPU is functional with brief flash and disappearing.
    • RAM is also functional as confirmed, same result even when switched or only using one stick.
    • Attempted to remove motherboard battery for a couple seconds and placing it back.
    • Power supply turns off and on; buying a new one to test out confirmed PSU isn't the issue.
    • Attempted to take off and on gpu (least likely culprit but can confirm working.
    • HDD and SSD tested and confirmed isn't the issue (Also tried to use windows installer on usb but still the same error.)
    • Also confirmed everything is wired properly.

    Thanks! Please let me know if you need further info, or if the post needs to be changed to meet any rules.

    submitted by /u/Ishmaille
    [link] [comments]

    Gpu running at max fan speed when booting up pc... only fix to it is leaving the pc unplugged for 2+ hours.

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 06:24 AM PDT

    So last month my used rx 570 was acting up. Whenever I booted up the pc, the fans would run at max speed and there would be no display. I thought it was a psu issue so I replaced the 500w aresgame psu with a Corsair cx650m. Still had the issues. My only way to fix this issue is to leave the pc unplugged for 2+ hours, and there's a CHANCE that the gpu will run like normal and post and let me access my pc. I'm confused because the gpu runs fine with no crashing, no artifacts, no performance errors, when it eventually works. I've tried reseating ram, default bios, reseated gpu, unplugged everything and rebuilt pc from square one, and this stupid gpu malfunction will always happen. I also replaced thermal pads and paste on the gpu and cleaned it out with 91% isopropyl alcohol and compressed air. I have no idea what's going on. Time to replace the gpu? It has a little rust and ALOT of corrosion on the heat sink . I guess it was used for mining. I userbenchmarked it and it was running average and i fur marked it for 30 minutes and it was stable ... also temps never hit hot

    TL;DR gpu will not display anything and run max fan speed, solution is to leave pc unplugged for 3+ hours to have a CHANCE for it to display and work properly

    submitted by /u/throway828
    [link] [comments]

    GPU troubleshooting

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 11:32 AM PDT

    I built a completely new AMD powered PC but the GPU (EVGA 1070) i bought for the build didn't fit the chassis, so I swapped it out for the GPU in my current INTEL build (MSI 1070) and it fit the new chassis. Both systems run a 650W power supply.

    When I install the EVGA into my INTEL build, it's unable to post. I see the lights and fans of the GPU turn on, but I just get a black screen. When I try the EVGA in the AMD build, it also was unable to post.

    Side note: I was able to get the evga to fit inside the AMD build by laying the tower sideways to trouble shoot so it stays seeded in the PCI-e slot.

    Things I've tried:

    • Turn off integrated GPU on INTEL build and connect HDMI to GPU -> black screen
    • Removed GPU and used integrated graphics -> posts and runs normally, sans physical GPU
    • Tried a different PCI-e slot
    • Rebooted
    • Set it to Wumbo

    TL;DR new gpu gets power, but won't post on two different computers.

    submitted by /u/YayArea95
    [link] [comments]

    Building my first pc, Build advice needed

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 01:44 PM PDT

    Max Budget: 1600$ (125000 Russian Rubles)

    Ideal Budget: 1100$ (85000 Russian Rubles)

    Country: Mother Russia

    Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: First of all not gaming. I do things web design, security, audio production, setting up client networks, usual office work. Sometimes i play games, though. Not really often. Generally in the summer holidays with friends. The only games i play are GTA V, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Minecraft. I am not looking for a PC build that is primarily for gaming, but it would be nice to have a few reserves for future games like GTA VI. I usually don't run much software at once. I close all unnecessary applications straight away when i don't need them. Maybe, the pc will be used as a little Plex server for just two clients. I will certainly use it as a RDP server since i travel a lot, so the power supply etc. should be certified for 24/7 operation.

    Other details: In terms of hardware and graphics, i will be probably using two Full HD monitors. I am not a graphics freak, so 90-100fps at high settings will be more than enough for me. I am a big fan of MSI, so i would like to use their hardware if that's stable enough.

    CPU

    I thought of a i7 7700 as a processor. 4C8T will work just fine for me.

    GPU

    As for the graphics card, anything NVIDIA-MSI based that could run all these games above should fit. Since i don't need the state of the art performance and all of these extra features like VR or screen rec, i will likely get a second hand MSI GPU. I thought of a Nvidia GTX/RTX X060 or X070. What would be the best option here?

    Motherboard

    For the motherboard, i think that it shouldn't support OC since my proc won't support it either. Additionally, i don't need features like USB Type c. The MB should be ATX.

    Memory

    16gb of RAM are just enough for me. I don't need more. It would be nice if it had a nice frequency, but it doesn't have to be overpriced. I don't care about extra features like a sleek design or rgb lighting since the ram will be in a server case anyway.

    Computer Case

    I'm not really a fan of these glass covered cases with rgb. I prefer a rackmount solution which i could fit inside my future rack. I will also install my AV reciever and my networking switch there. I looked up this RSV-L4000 Rosewill server chassis on amazon based on its good reviews. I know that it doesn't have any 3.0 ports, but that can be easily solved by installing a internal card reader or just hooking up a faceplate with some usb ports. My only concern is whether the newest Noctua CPU cooler will fit by height or not, since i won't be doing water cooling. I will replace all included case fans with similar models from Noctua.

    Storage

    i will install a 250gb Samsung Evo SSD when building this pc. I din't decide which one gen yet. I have two expensive SAS HDDs both 2tb layng around from my HP server, so it would be nice to integrate them later on, since i will have a few PCI slots left anyway. They will store important information so i will be using mirroring RAID for that purpose. I have heard that you need a HBA or SAS RAID controller for that but there are so many models out there...

    Current Hardware:

    Just for reference to compare what i am currently using and what i'm happy with.

    I was using the Lenovo Y510p laptop model until a few months ago. I sold it because i needed the money for this project. I had a nice time working on this model during the pandemic last year and long hours playing minecraft and Gta 5 last summer, without a single problem. I even hooked up an external monitor from 2002 or so. It is a gaming laptop back from 2013. I got it from my mother since she didn't like. It had the top configuration:

    Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2400 Mhz 4C8T

    16gb ram

    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M.) 2gb (SLI)

    1tb HDD which i replaced with a Samsung SSD later.

    Now im mainly working on my MBP 13" 2015. It is a custom config with a two-core 3,1ghz proc and a 1tb apple ssd. I am more than happy with it, since it runs everything i need. During my usual workday, i have 40 Chrome tabs open, an excel spreadsheet and spotify running in background. One time i tried running all my programs simultaneously, and it had still around 80% CPU resources available.

    ____________

    I am really open to your suggestions regarding this build. If you ever find yourself in Moscow, i will be happy to show you around the city. Otherwise, thanks for your time reading this thread.

    submitted by /u/InterestingStandard8
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good PC build?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I want to build a pc for around €700-€800. Is this a good build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/424n4d If not, what should I change?

    PS. I dont have experience picking parts

    submitted by /u/KyShR
    [link] [comments]

    Why is higher ram speeds recommended for i9-10900k and ryzen equivalent cpu's

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 03:51 AM PDT

    i'm looking to get an i9 10850k and i'm not sure what ram speed i should get, i only know one person who has experience in this subject and he highly recommended getting 4400mhz which i can afford, can someone explain the need for high ram speeds on these high-end cpu's

    submitted by /u/Bill88d
    [link] [comments]

    Power related question

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 01:31 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I am planning on building a new gaming pc. I will connect all the cables of the pc to a power strip. Then I will connect the power strip to the wall.

    Every time I am planning to shut down the pc (through windows), should I switch off the power strip as well or should I only shut down the pc and leave the power trip on?

    The power strip has sourge protection.

    Thanks for answering

    submitted by /u/erpiccoli
    [link] [comments]

    How much better is dual channel than single channel?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 08:23 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I recently built a PC and it had 1 16 gig piece of ram running at 3200, I realized that my my was underperforming because the ram was running is single channel and I was missing out in performance a lot. How much of a performance boost should I be expecting? I was have ordered 2x8 gigs stick if ddr4 ram running at 3200, what slots should I put them in, 1-3 or 2-4?

    submitted by /u/yellowteammilk
    [link] [comments]

    Return to Gaming!! Build feedback?!

    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 11:08 AM PDT

    I haven't played much of anything since WoW. (wotlk) Recently saw a buddy playing Red Dead 2 and it blew me away!

    I know it's a terrible time for building a new rig but I picked out some parts and I would really appreciate some up-to-date feedback.

    CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600XT 6 core 12 thread 3.8GHz

    CPU COOLER: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R

    Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Carbon WiFi

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB=16GB DDR4 3200

    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280

    GPU: MSI GEFORCE RTX 3060 GAMING X 12GB

    PSU: GIGABYTE P750GM 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular

    Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R


    I have a GTX 970 lying around... probably be a stand-in until I pick up the 3060.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/jetboy2020
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment