• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 31, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 31, 2021

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My Ram Speed was Stuck at 2133 mhz for over half a year. Don't be like me.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 04:38 AM PDT

    So I don't know if this helpful for anyone here but like many here I'm a PC Builder noob and maybe this can help someone.

    Just yesterday I was debating myself why I was not getting the performance in games that I was expecting to have.

    Then, someone mention the Ram Speed. I have 3200 mhz (16 GB) the problem was when I checked the performance on the Task Menu, the speed was at stuck at 2133 Mhz.

    What I learned was that by going to the BIOs and simply change the profile the problem was fixed ( I have an MSI motherboard so it can be different for you, but if you have this problem search for a solution online and is probably not that different).

    Just to give you an example my GTA V went from average 70 FPS to around 95, no joke. This was the reason why I began this search because I knew that with my Specs I should have better performance.

    Hopefully this was helpful for some of you. Like I said I'm a noob so I can't help you much, the idea of this post is more to raise awareness.

    submitted by /u/Dr4kk00
    [link] [comments]

    Check your HDMI cables

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 05:10 AM PDT

    I built a pc back in 2011(i5 2500k and eventually upgraded to a gtx 970). Thing was a beast, but I noticed a year ago some older titles were starting to stutter randomly ( halo mcc, borderlands 2 to name a few). I just thought my hardware was finally kicking it so obviously I built a new PC (ryzen 3600 and gtx 1660s).

    Built went fine, but I was still getting stuttering on these older games (in addition to the new games). I only play 60fps 1080p. I had reused my old PS so I thought that may be it. Replaced it - no go.

    After almost a month of research and tinkering w/ Nvidia settings it would still stutter randomly (super frustrating). For an unrelated reason (moved rooms) I changed my hdmi cable - stuttering gone. Apparently somewhere along the way I started using a 1.3b hdmi cable without knowing and it was enough to cause the stuttering at 60fps 1080p. It even looks like the colors are more vibrant now. Unreal.

    Don't make the same mistake. Seems simple, but check your HDMI cables.

    submitted by /u/endless_sight
    [link] [comments]

    Im finally building my first pc! A dream come true lol. Any tips for a first time? What to do? Not to do? I dont wanna fuck anything up so pls help me

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    Upgrading a PC for my grandson for his birthday, having trouble deciding what to give him.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 08:28 AM PDT

    My grandson's birthday is coming up next month. I used to do pc gaming but it's been a very long time, so I feel like I'm wading into some unfamiliar waters. I had his mother run a tool and this is the information that it gave me:

    UserBenchmarks: Game 79%, Desk 86%, Work 66%

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 80.5%

    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti - 97.4%

    SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 84.7%

    HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 72.5%

    USB: SanDisk Cruzer Spark 32GB - 15.8%

    RAM: Unknown 1600 CL9 Series 2x8GB - 58.5%

    MBD: Asrock Z97 Anniversary

    Not a lot of this is very familiar to me, I have about 500 dollars to spend one one big part for his birthday, so I'm hoping to make it as big of an upgrade as I can. I understand that he doesn't have a 4k computer screen, so i might do that, but i'm worried that if i do that he wont be able to run games as well.

    I don't mean to be overly verbose, but I'm a bit out of my element. Which one of those should I look into upgrading? Should I get him a monitor, maybe?

    submitted by /u/Ill-Tumbleweed9778
    [link] [comments]

    Crying out for help

    Posted: 30 Mar 2021 08:56 PM PDT

    I started to build my first PC at 9:00 P.M. and now it's about 1:00 A.M. and I'm kinda frustrated and running out of patience. I've got an Intel Core i5 10400, a Motherboard Gigabyte H410M H, 16 GB of RAM (Adata XPG Gammix D20 16 GB 2x8GB), a SSD Adata M.2 NVMe Falcon 512GB. PSU from Gigabyte, the P750GM 750W 80 Plus Gold. I got a case from Raidmax, the f03.

    So everything was cool and by 10:00 P.M. I was pretty much done so I started to set up the wires in a nice way and everything. I was pretty happy because everything fitted in easily and there were no unplugged cables whatsoever. However, when I plugged the monitor I couldn't even start the PC.

    Can anyone help me? I've checked everything. The 24 pin connector is plugged in, I've unplugged it 3 times already and I always hear the click, same goes for the end that goes into the PSU. CPU cable is plugged. Peripherals cable is plugged to a random LED cable that came with the case, I think it also powers the fan that came with the case. I removed the RAM and put it back in because I was kinda soft the first time (I didn't wanna break anything). The SSD is perfectly in its place and I'm pretty sure I put the CPU right. I double checked the Front Panel a thousand times.

    When I plug the PSU I hear a click, and then again when I press the Power button. Then nothing. I've plugged a monitor via HDMI and a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a wired keyboard just in case. I hit delete key every time but nothing shows up. What can I do? How do I know if the PSU or any other components was DOA?

    I touched the PSU while off and plugged to avoid frying anything with static BTW. Please, help.

    submitted by /u/RodLema
    [link] [comments]

    How to (possibly) get a GPU.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 01:39 PM PDT

    I just felt the need to put this out there. If you have some extra time in the morning go to your local microcenter (mine is 1hr away) and wait before they open.

    My friend went yesterday at 4am and got a 3080. I went at 8am today and was like 10th in line and they had every card but the 3080 available. So I picked up a 3070. It is 1 per person per 30 days.

    There was a kid I talked to on like and it was his 3rd time trying, him and his friend got a 3060 and a 3060ti. The cards and the opportunity to get them at msrp are there you just have to have some persistence and a bit of luck!

    Good luck to everyone and I hope this helps at least one person.

    submitted by /u/nickyg1028
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for upgrading my pc

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 11:37 AM PDT

    My current pc specs: I5 2400 3.1 ghz 8gb single channel ram ddr3 1333 mhz Asrock b75m MSI RX 470 4 gb 650w 80+ bronze 1 tb HDD 7200rpm Toshiba

    I want to add another 8gb of ram because it has become necessary with newer games. With older games it was not an issue.

    So guys what should i upgrade and with what ?

    Or I should just start with a new build?

    I only target 1080p.

    Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/Shado17Shado
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing a Fix to GPU Driver Crashes

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:56 AM PDT

    Recently, my GPU driver has been randomly crashing and restarting after a couple of seconds, resulting in a black screen and crashing games. This occurred not only during games but also while just browsing the web.

    I tried every single possible fix I could find online, and nothing seemed to work. At most, some just reduced the amount of crashes. This has been driving me up a wall for a week, I must have tried around 40 different fixes.

    Well I just fixed it! I'll list out what FINALLY fixed it for me:

    1. Download the latest Nvidia drivers and restart Windows 10 in Safe Mode
    2. Open Device Manager and uninstall GPU driver (make sure to check "delete" as well)
    3. While still in safe mode, go to Settings -> System -> About -> Advanced System Settings. Click Device Installation Settings and change it to No then save settings.
    4. Restart in normal mode and install the Nvidia drivers. Select custom install and delete previous settings. DO NOT install Geforce Experience.
    5. Restart again and it should be fixed.

    I just want to mention this, EVERY single forum and tech guru tells you to uninstall drivers using DDU. I tried uninstalling drivers with DDU in safe mode many different times, but uninstalling the "standard" way is what actually fixed it for me.

    I don't know which one was the fix, not using DDU or not installing Geforce Experience (or both), but I don't want to potentially ruin my perfectly running setup again to find out.

    submitted by /u/Neoncarbon
    [link] [comments]

    Inconsistency in RAM speed

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 10:59 AM PDT

    Is there an explanation to this?

    https://imgur.com/a/fv94CUc

    Some show 2,800, some show 2,132. I have no clue what is happening.

    submitted by /u/nsoifer
    [link] [comments]

    7 Year Old PC Crashed, Screen Said CPU Temp Too High. Now Only Turns On To Black Screen With Blinking Line.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 01:36 PM PDT

    Water cooled self built. 0 overclocking. How do I get back into Windows?

    submitted by /u/PunishedConstruct
    [link] [comments]

    Best CPU to upgrade from R5 2600 (Intel or Ryzen)?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    Hello to everyone. This is my PC which I want to upgrade since it overheats and there is no help to it. Also, it's relatively old so I realized I do need an upgrade. I was wondering, what is the best Intel or Ryzen CPU to upgrade from 2600? For GPU, probably will buy RTX 2060 Super or 3060, and I know everything except CPU. I love Intel more than Ryzen (I am not saying Ryzen is not better, it is, but I wanted to try Intel), so can You suggest to me one Intel and one Ryzen CPU which are good as an upgrade from 2600 (up to 200-250$).

    This down here is my current PC. Thank You guys.

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $190.99 @ Newegg
    Motherboard MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard -
    Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory $44.99 @ Best Buy
    Storage Transcend 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.53 @ MemoryC
    Storage Toshiba 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.38 @ MemoryC
    Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Red Devil Video Card $699.99 @ Amazon
    Case Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $50.44 @ Walmart
    Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600 W ATX Power Supply $52.37 @ Amazon
    Monitor ViewSonic VX2457-MHD 23.6" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor $139.99 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1266.68
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-31 16:23 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/PlasticGuarantee5856
    [link] [comments]

    My first build (Mine OS)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    I'm looking to build a Minecraft server. Looking for advice on if this would work well, and what to change to get more value

    ps: I don't care about sound

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Coolnesplayz/saved/#view=Y6hGP6

    submitted by /u/CoolnesPlayz
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best gpu for most FPS with i3 9100f

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 01:07 PM PDT

    Been saving for over a year and finally have enough to build a pc for video editing/gaming. I've seen the scarcity of GPU availability, what are some options?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 01:06 PM PDT

    Hello! Ive saved up a little over $2,000 in the hopes of building my dream pc to edit 4k videos and game. Of course as soon as I have the money saved up though all I see is how GPUS are pretty much impossible to find and have skyrocketed in price. what would a good option for me to still have a powerful build? I need something that can easily handle big 4k-6k video files and editing for work

    submitted by /u/analjuicesoup
    [link] [comments]

    10 series GPU 2021?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    Looking to upgrade to a 10 series for video editing and light retro gaming, but is it just me, or are they nowhere to be found for a reasonable price? I'm seeing used stuff wayyy above msrp. 350$ for a used 1050 seems wrong

    I've heard about the shortage on 30 series because of mining, scalping, etc, but... 10 series too? Surely that can't be profitable.

    Looking for a 1050ti or similar in particular; am I SOL/should just wait out the shortage? Any tips on getting one (even at msrp)? not really in that big of a rush, would be nice to render files faster though

    submitted by /u/Rickety_Wreckd
    [link] [comments]

    PSU for graphics card

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:57 PM PDT

    What is the minimum PSU requirements for a RTX 3060 Ti and a Core I7-2600K?

    Like, is it a 550W Gold? Im kinda new so lmk.

    submitted by /u/DaviBl0x_YT
    [link] [comments]

    Any decent graphics cards that aren’t super expensive right now?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:55 PM PDT

    Or when do you think prices will go back down?

    submitted by /u/PartyContribution725
    [link] [comments]

    My GPU(EVGA 2080s) went from 68c under load to 87c

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 07:20 AM PDT

    Earlier today I was testing my temps and during a stress test, I maxed at 77c. When under load (COD) I average 68. I want to lower temps so I tried undervolting, it wasn't working so I returned to default values, I put my fan curve back but now my card goes to 87c while playing cod, does anyone know what I should do???

    submitted by /u/Wide-Abroad221
    [link] [comments]

    Faulty Motherboard?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:47 PM PDT

    I had just completed installing a new motherboard into a case with my power, ram, and cpu and went to boot it on when the power came on for a second, then turned itself off. I began to do process of elimination on the parts when I found that removing the cpu allowed the pc to run, but the board itself still had a light on indicating that there is a problem with the cpu. I had already used the cpu the same day before installing it. The only new things are the motherboard and the case. Anyone know what is going on?

    P300 eclipse case MSI H310M Pro-VDH Plus Gtx 1050 graphics (intel) 16 gb ram 500w evga power

    submitted by /u/Velosotato
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with mobo

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:46 PM PDT

    Can someone plz tell me if the Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard has built in wifi thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Majestic_Error6109
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap Graphics Card

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:43 PM PDT

    My Graphics card broke a few months ago. My system has just been sitting there collecting dust. I was trying to get a 3080 for awhile but am thinking a cheap card to hold me over until school ends would be better (especially since my laptop is having problems now). Was considering getting just a GT 710 Verto for now. Any recommendations? I'm currently running a 10850k for my gpu if that matters.

    submitted by /u/LoanMePatience
    [link] [comments]

    Media PC for dads birthday.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:40 PM PDT

    Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some input. I want to build my dad a computer that will be used for movie watching and streaming. I'm a little overwhelmed by integrated graphic CPU options. What do you guys think would be the most cost-effective? He will only be using it to watch and stream movies mostly in 1080p with a little light internet usage, so I don't need anything too crazy. If anyone has any suggestions for a small itx horizontal case that would be appreciated too.

    submitted by /u/Rat-in-Timbs
    [link] [comments]

    Is 4gb vram enough?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 02:39 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment