• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 17, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 17, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 17, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 17, 2021

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    RX 6700XT Review Megathread

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 07:43 AM PDT

    PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

    6700XT 6800 6800XT
    Shader Units 2560 3840 4608
    ROPs 64 96 128
    Game Clock 2424MHz 1815MHz 2015MHz
    Boost Clock 2581MHz 2105MHz 2250MHz
    Mem Clock 16Gbps 16Gbps 16Gbps
    Mem Bus Width 192 bit 256 bit 256 bit
    Mem Bandwidth 384 GB/s 512 GB/s 512 GB/s
    VRAM 12GB GDDR6 16GB GDDR6 16GB GDDR6
    GPU Navi 22 Navi21 Navi21
    TBP 230W 250W 300W
    Launch date 2021-03-18 2020-11-18 2020-11-18
    Launch MSRP (LOL) $479 USD $579 $650

    REVIEWS

    Outlet Text Video
    3DCenter Review Aggregate
    ComputerBase.de Reference + XFX Merc 319 Black
    Eurogamer/Digital Foundry Reference Reference
    GamersNexus Reference
    Guru3D Reference-review,1.html), Powercolor Hellhound, Asus Strix OC, MSI Gaming X, XFX Merc 319 Black
    IgorsLab Reference
    KitGuru Reference Reference
    Linus Tech Tips Reference
    Optimum Tech Reference
    PCMag Reference
    TechPowerUp Reference, Powercolor Red Devil, XFX Merc 319 Black, Sapphire Nitro+, MSI Gaming X, Asus Strix OC
    TechSpot/Hardware Unboxed Reference Reference
    TomsHardware Reference

    submitted by /u/m13b
    [link] [comments]

    I’m 17 and been on console for about 7 years and i want to switch to pc. I have about £1000-£1250 budget I already have mouse, monitor and huge mouse pad already

    Posted: 16 Mar 2021 06:22 PM PDT

    I want to have a gaming pc within the next 2/3 months I am aware that some pc parts such as gpu are inflated due to corona thought I'd just note that. I have a basic knowledge of pc parts and Ik what most of them do as I roughly paid attention in my computer science class...(7 GCSEs at the same time was hard)the thing I'm struggling with is how I know everything is compatible(I know that i need a atx case if I have a atx motherboard)was. Was looking for any advice. Was also wondering if anyone has experience with switching from ram to M.2 and if you think it was worth the upgrade

    Thank you for all the messages never a post blow up like this. I've only been able to read half the messages but I've noticed a lot of people recommending a prebuilt and other just says wait still not 100% on what way to go but thank you everyone for replying I definitely learn somethings.

    What pre built gaming pc would you recommend? I could probably spend a max of £2200. Id be playing at 1080p in rainbow six siege so I'd as much FPS as possible

    submitted by /u/Drogbaa97
    [link] [comments]

    Soo i MAY have made a big purchaseing mistake here.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 06:10 AM PDT

    I just got a GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC WATERFORCE WB 8G not knowing exactly what i was getting into. So now i need to know what exactly i need to make this work.

    I am building a brand new PC entirely, and my budget is 2400 i already got the card for 900 so i am looking at 1500 remaining

    I dont want to 100% water cool but if i have to i guess i can

    submitted by /u/DiscordSyn
    [link] [comments]

    Building new PC. Built last one in 2011. 3500 budget. Will mostly use it for single player gaming when wife and sun are sleeping. Ideally decently future proof. Where you suggest I start or what to look into?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:36 AM PDT

    What monitor would you choose?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 12:17 PM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade to a 240hz monitor but wanted to ask opinions about pricing. My cpu is ryzen 7 2700, gpu is rtx 2060

    Is there any difference between these two monitors other than the price? I'm trying to figure out why someone would spend an extra $400 for the same refresh rate and specs. I have an opportunity to buy the Omen used for about $250.

    Acer: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF250Q-Cbmiiprx-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B07G3GRFSZ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=acer+240hz&qid=1615990361&sr=8-1 Omen: https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Lighting-Adjustable-Management-4NK94AA/dp/B07V6R79H7

    All input is appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/spooksaf
    [link] [comments]

    Does this seem too good to be true?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 02:22 PM PDT

    So I recently stumbled across this Craigslist posting of a EVGA 3070 for $380. Seller says he recently got gifted a 3090 and the 3070 had been slightly used for 3 weeks. Any tips or things to look out for when buying on Craigslist? Pics

    submitted by /u/lattebaar
    [link] [comments]

    For those familiar with the NZXT X53 AIO, does air move IN from the side with the white light ring and OUT of the side with the purple NZXT sticker, or vice versa?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 11:37 AM PDT

    No clear answers online and nothing in the manual. Trying to fix my new AMD CPU that is idling at 45C and ramps up to 85C while benchmarking.

    submitted by /u/DekkuRen
    [link] [comments]

    1 ssd pc

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:29 AM PDT

    Is it okay to run my pc with only 1tb of pcie m2 ssd? Meaning, both windows and my stuffs are located on 1 pcie m2 ssd.

    submitted by /u/dn_snts
    [link] [comments]

    PC randomly soft reboots while gaming only, any and all suggestions welcome before I have to replace brand new PSU as my last hope I can think of.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:32 AM PDT

    Only change from when It was working last was I replaced a R7 5800x placeholder with my R9 5900x I got back from RMA and I moved across town. As the title says I can never finish a whole FIFA 21 match, F1 2020 race or COD CW match before the monitor goes black and all my RGB goes back to Default rainbow pattern like it does before icue kicks in. Only way to get it to reboot and get he monitor back on is it to turn the PSU off manually or unplug from the wall. Fear is it is the PSU even though it is less than a month old and undoing my watercooling in my SFF PC is going to be a pain so i was looking for anymore suggestions before going that route

    Temps are great, It is a custom loop with dual rads

    Parts and things I've tired.

    • Replaced the RAM
    • Turned off xmp and underclocked from xmp to slower speeds
    • used stock PSU cables/Replacement Cables
    • updated BIOS/Rolled Back BIOS
    • Updated Ryzen Chipset drivers
    • Turned off PBO
    • Undervolted GPU to account for 3000 series power spikes
    • Installed all Windows updates
    • Used DDU for fresh drivers

    Parts:

    • Ryzen 9 5900x with Corsair Waterblock
    • RTX 3080 FE with Corsair Waterblock
    • G-SKill Trident z Neo 3600 CL16
    • Corsair SF750 Platinum PSU
    submitted by /u/joshyyrey
    [link] [comments]

    New to gaming can i find a pc for $600?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    I've never built a gaming pc, or had one. im not lookin for somethin fancy or anything i jus want something as a starter pc i can upgrade down da path, idk wtf im doin lol but my buddy said he'd help me build it, i jus dont trust him to get me a decent pc lol
    I jus wanna run gta 5

    submitted by /u/JicamaOk9214
    [link] [comments]

    PC Won't Boot After Setting RAM XMP profile

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:37 AM PDT

    Just built my first PC and everything is working fine except this.

    I have a Tomahawk B550 and 32GB of Klevv Bolt 3600Mhz Ram. It's running at 2667Mhz by default and when I go on the BIOS to set the XMP profile to 3600Mhz, my Pc then won't boot.

    Any idea on how to get my ram up to proper speed?

    submitted by /u/JakRap
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help with getting RGB from controller to motherboard

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 01:10 PM PDT

    Hello,

    Thanks in advance for your time on reading my problem and possibly helping with a solution.

    Currently i've been running a msi x570 pro carbon gaming wifi motherboard in a case called LC-Power 991B Lighthouse ATX Mid Tower.

    The fans of this case are said to be mystic light compatible.

    Every fan has 2 cables coming out. 1 cable with a 4 pin header with pwm. 1 cable with a 3 pin header without pwn, lengthened then a bit of cable and a molex after that.

    Currently i'm using the 4 pins connector for power. And the molex for rgb. The molex only provides rgb when the molex from the controller (build in the case) is attached as well.

    Is there any way i can let my motherboard control the rgb rather than use the button on the case?

    Here are pictures to hopefully help clarify things. pictures

    Thanks for any help in advance!

    submitted by /u/xkoeckiiej
    [link] [comments]

    Best kinda cheap CPU-cooler for a i5 10400f

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 11:47 AM PDT

    Thinking for getting a new CPU-cooler instead of the Intel one. It's for a i5 10400f and I'm looking for something pretty cheap that would fit into a Phanteks P360A.

    I'm looking at something like a NH-D12 or a Dark Rock 4.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cucOmbermint
    [link] [comments]

    PC won't fully turn off, LED fan light is going dim, and peripherals are randomly disconnecting.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 02:10 PM PDT

    (doing this on mobile)

    My build is about 3 years old, about to clean it up to see if that will somehow help. But for some reason small things are starting to go down. My keyboards and earbuds(got surgery on eat) are new, same with my headphones.

    Is the PSU(thermaltake 750w 80+gold) starting to call it quits on me? Do I have too many thing connected to the MoBo(would it explain the fan lights going out)? My PC just randomly booted itself, while I was typing this, when I shut it off. Took a couple tries to shut down.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/BEG_2NO1
    [link] [comments]

    Storage

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    I bought a 240gb ssd thinking it would do the job but it's nowhere near enough. Everything I have on my pc is on there. Any suggestions for more storage?

    submitted by /u/Mintysm64
    [link] [comments]

    Finally got a 3070 but my pc won't turn on

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 12:29 PM PDT

    Guys I'm so unlucky. My build:

    • Ryzen 9 3950x
    • MSI Tomahawk B550
    • 16 Gb DDR4

    This morning I went to finally take a new MSI 3070 trio and I unplugged everything before going off.

    When I came back home I swapped my old 980ti and got the 3070 in and then I discovered that my pc won't turn on at all, I decided then to swap the PSU with another 750w I got and nothing...

    I checked the POWER SW cables etc and the CPU & Mobo cables everything looks fine, don't know what to do I want to die right now

    submitted by /u/Alexio247
    [link] [comments]

    Do i have to leave MSI Afterburner in the background?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 01:29 PM PDT

    Call me stupid but i have been leaving MSI Afterburner to run in the background for 2 years now cause i have overclocked my GPU... just now a friend saw it and told me i don't have to let it run in the background... is that true?

    If i close the app completely and don't let it startup on system start, does it still apply the overclock?

    submitted by /u/RavenRains
    [link] [comments]

    Have pile of mediocre parts, would like to accumulate more and build a decent PC for some gaming

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 01:10 PM PDT

    Hi errbody. I have a pile of old (working) computer parts from discarded computers at work. I currently do some casual gaming with an old Optiplex 3010 with 8GB RAM, i3-3220, and an awful graphics card - I have a GTX 580 (3GB) coming in the mail that I scored for $60 that will be replacing it in a few days. I'd like to gather the right parts as I come across them and build something halfway decent while spending as little as possible. Money is tight - I've got a kid on the way so spending less takes priority over raw performance. I've never built a computer from scratch but I've done enough upgrading, assembly, and disassembly that I'm comfortable with building. Here's what I have so far that's worth mention:

    550W power supply (can't remember the brand off the top of my head but it works, I'll try to update when I get home)

    pile of 4GB RAM sticks, mostly DDR3 but some DDR4

    i3-4130 CPUs, 3 and growing

    i5-7400 CPU

    heat sinks and fans

    Several of my own SSDs and old hard drives (500GB and 1TB) and a lot of cables

    I know I'll need to buy a motherboard and case, but the rest I probably already have or will be able to get. Right now I'm thinking the i5, 16GB of RAM, the GTX 580, an SSD boot drive and data stored on a 1TB hard drive. Can anyone give me recommendations for a good affordable motherboard with 4 RAM slots that will fit the i5-7400 without breaking the bank? Also, are there any oddities about the i5-7400 that I need to know about? I won't be trying to play any AAA games, just some casual gaming on games that are often several years old (Skyrim, GTA 5, my wife plays Sims 4), as well as some music recording in Reaper. Sorry for the novel, I'm horrible at being brief.

    submitted by /u/hebrewhomeboy
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with old computer after a total new build?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    Just did a new build and I'm not sure what to do with the parts in my old computer. Most valuable are probably the CPU and GPU: 3960X and 970. Those I'd sell if possible but that still leaves a bunch of scrap metal etc. Anyone had experience to maximize profit and minimize e-waste?

    For those interested I bought a prebuilt G900 from micro center. Came with a 3070 and 5900x. Put it in a new case (dark base 900 pro rev 2), swapped power supply with Corsair RM850x, swapped out the fans for Corsair QL 140s and put in a new H150i cooler.

    submitted by /u/Wapook
    [link] [comments]

    Extremely frustrated trying to figure out which cpu to go with for Orchestral DAW Composition / gaming secondary.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:49 AM PDT

    I've been using the same pc for 3ish years, (ryzen 7 1700, geforce 1060) and I'm going to be giving it to my wife after building a new pc so I can get better performance out of my DAW that uses gigantic realistic instrument samples, as well as gaming. I play valorant, valheim, gtaV, etc...

    I've been researching for days, but everyone seems to have a different opinion. In my research, for what is available right now on newegg, it seems like the i9-19850k is a decent deal. Then I see all of the posts about it's issues with heat. I'm used to the ryzen series, but whenever I compare them online, the ones that are in stock don't compare. I'm going crazy!

    submitted by /u/KorbelandCoke
    [link] [comments]

    First time getting an AMD cpu. Budget is $400 for cpu + mobo. Help a brother out?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 02:42 PM PDT

    Not sure what the best bang for my buck would be.

    submitted by /u/dontbetoxic
    [link] [comments]

    Help buying GPU

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:43 AM PDT

    I've finally gotten enough savings for my computer but it's so hard to find any reasonably priced gpu out there, I've bought all parts except for gpu. I have some guy that lives near me that is selling a GIGABYTE rtx 3060 12gb OC for $850, I'm tired of waiting for those to go on stock again so I might give into buying that one, unless anybody knows an alternative, would be nice to hear what you all would do in this situation

    submitted by /u/Kleeptomaniac-
    [link] [comments]

    So I tried PCPartPicker and I need help understanding GPUs and whether to wait or buy

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    As far as I can understand Nvidia has 10 20 and 30 serires GPUs. At the minimum, I should find a 20 and up right? Also what about the other GPUs that aren't Nvidia. I'm new to this and my degree did not tell me diddly squat about how these naming conventions work.

    PC goal: Be comfortable with blender and 3d modeling. Rendering is not as much of an issue

    submitted by /u/cthebigb
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help choosing components for a PC build

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    Hi friends, i need some help with building a "~1000€" PC for 1080p 60fps Gaming and some VR with Linked Oculus Quest 2.

    my plan is to buy a component after component and i started by the case (MetallicGear Neo Air white) which i will receive tomorrow.

    Now i need help to choose the rest. I made a list but i have no idea if those are any good so please correct my thing or offer yours.

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (202€)
    Motherboard: B550 Aorus Pro (135€) or B550 Aorus Pro-P (145€) *P is an upgraded version i think*
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 3200mHz (85€) or same but 3000mHz (75€)
    SSD: Crucial P2 500Gb (60€) or Crucial MX500 500Gb (58€) + 1Tb Western Digital HDD (40€)
    PSU: EVGA BR 500 80+Bronze 500W (50€)
    GPU: GTX1660S or RX5600XT would be perfect but u know... But There is a RTX3060 in my local store for 600€ so i might sell my currect Asus ROG Laptop and get that one when i get all the rest.
    Case: the one and only MetallicGear Neo Air white which i absolutely adore :)

    Any suggestion / Recommendation ?

    or should i get a cheap b450 with a Ryzen 3 3200g instead and buy a good Mobo,CPU and GPU after when the bitcoin thing is over (~2022 maybe) ?

    Arigato gozaimashita in advance ;)

    submitted by /u/A3D1
    [link] [comments]

    How much psu wattage do you recommend for this setup?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 08:37 AM PDT

    I will probably go with semi modular, bronze rated psu because of a limited budget.

    The estimated wattage on pc part picker says 400w. Is for example 600w enough?

    https://imgur.com/a/CZvN8Gs

    submitted by /u/YeetosPirate
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment