• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 9, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 09, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - March 09, 2021


    Simple Questions - March 09, 2021

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    3060 ti severely underperforming

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:05 AM PST

    I recently upgraded to a 3060 ti from a 1060 6GB but the 3060 ti is severely underperforming for a reason I can't seem to figure out. I'm unsure if it's one or more of my components holding it back, faulty card or I just need to do some tweaking to the boost clock and such (not very confident with that stuff yet).

    It came to light how badly it is underperforming when my friend and I were playing COD:CW, We run it at just about the same settings (low - medium range for frames). He has a 2060 and his frames are ranging around 140-150 meanwhile I'm barely reaching 100. I've looked at benchmarks for CW and I should be easily reaching 160.

    My best guess is that my mobo, cpu or both are bottle necking it. here are my specs: Asus DUAL OC 3060 ti, Intel i7 7700k, MSI B250 gaming M3, 3 sticks of 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Corsair RM750x 80+ gold modular and a MSI Optix G241 144Hz 1080p monitor.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Macfatherfigure
    [link] [comments]

    FINALLY SOLVED! Game stutters when video or stream plays on secondary monitor.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 04:54 PM PST

    So i've had this issue for probably close to 3 years now and could not figure it out for the life of me. Essentially the problem was that when i had a video or really any kind of motion on my secondary or third monitor be it a 144hz or 60hz (Main display is 144hz) display, the game on my primary display would feel super choppy and sluggish. I have tried everything from changing cables, hardware, software, settings , you name it i've probably done it. So eventually i gave up and just lived with having to pause things when i was in a game or just listen to videos minimized or have them play between rounds etc etc...

    After coming back to this subject from time to time for years, i found some legendary human being in a comments section of some random tech article who replied to someone who had the same issue as me with a solution! Fair this might not work for everyone but its worth a shot! The solution was simply a hidden nvidia driver setting removed from the control panel a long time ago.

    Now finally the solution for those who dont care about my silly rant lol.

    !!! SOLUTION !!! - For me anyways :)

    -----------------------------------------------------

    - First install nvidiaProfileInspector, either a quick google will find you the link or click here: https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

    - Click on whatever the newest version is then download the .zip file by simply clicking on it.

    - After the .zip file is download, simply unzip it / drag the .exe file out of the .zip file onto your desktop or elsewhere.

    - Run nvidiaProfileInspector as administrator.

    - Go down to "5 - Common", the setting your looking for is Multi-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration

    - Now for me it was set to "single display performance mode", i changed it to "Multi display performance mode"

    - Click apply changes on the top right

    - Reboot pc, make sure changes stuck, and BAM!

    - Enjoy peace, serenity, zen, joy, the finer things in life now, you are finally free from that terrible problem.

    -----------------------------------------------------

    !!! Side Notes !!!

    -----------------------------------------------------

    - Important you use NvidiaProfileInspector and not NvidiaInspector!!

    - Reference picture for the setting : http://prntscr.com/10gjq2y

    - On said article where i found this, someone else mentioned that they had to do the opposite to me and change it from multi to single, so its worth trying all the settings.

    - The settings will likely be greyed out, don't worry simply click on it and the drop down will appear and you can change the setting.

    - For me the effects took place instantly after clicking apply changes and i had no reboot required, your mileage may vary.

    -----------------------------------------------------

    Finally, I hope this helps someone out there and makes your pc experience that much better!

    !!! UPDATE !!!

    -----------------------------------------------------

    So a few more things that have been mentioned a bunch in the comments that i felt the need to add to the post:

    - People have mentioned changing monitor refresh rates to ones that coincide with one another, for example change the 144hz to 120hz to fit with a 60hz secondary display. For me this did nothing, and i currently have two 144hz display and one 60hz display. Before my solution regardless of what monitor the content would play on i would have the same issue. So i don't believe it's all that related to the refresh rate of the monitors.

    - Hardware acceleration. I have it all turned off, at first it did nothing for me, however it could be a matter of having this off along with the control panel setting. If you need to know where to find it a quick google shall save you.

    - After doing the changes and applying you can press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to instantly refresh your driver, i did not know this, credit to u/MinodRP and u/fdoom. Probably worth doing after changing the setting.

    - Been some mention of discord and discord streaming. This has not had any negative effects towards viewing or streaming with discord only positives, as in it stops it from stuttering.

    - Running games in fullscreen is certainly a work around, but as i have stated to many people i wanted a solution not a work around. :)

    - I have done all this with an i7-8700 rtx 2070 two predator 144hz monitors one with gsync one without and one acer 60hz display. All my drivers are up to date along side windows. My current Nvidia driver as of writing is 461.72. After the fix everything is working flawlessly.

    - Gsync and any form of vsync did not have any effect for me, currently i have it set to gsync for windowed and fullscreen and everything is working fine with my fix. But prior it was of no help.

    - As for this fix staying with geforce driver updates, i believe it should as with most other control panel settings, because that's essentially what this is, however only time will tell as i am currently on the latest drivers and have no way of testing.

    - Unfortunately team Red, i got nothing for you, I'm rather unfamiliar with AMD cards and hardware and have no further information for you. Should i happen to find something usefull in the comments i will add it to the post!

    -----------------------------------------------------

    Finally i am glad this has been of much use to so many people, i am going to make it a point from now on for my self that anytime i find a solution to some stupid bizarre problem i will make a post stating said solution provided there isn't one at the time.

    Considering this i believe my first post to reddit i am blown away by all the awards and medals and everything, especially u/Altan1337 thank you so much for the platinum, it means allot to me.

    For everyone this has worked for i hope you can now enjoy stutter free gaming along side me. :)

    submitted by /u/Im_a_Flightless_Bird
    [link] [comments]

    I am a 12 year old well child I guess I have been doing about 5-6 months of deep research or how to build a system what I want in my system etc. Do you think I could build a pc without any major struggle.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:13 AM PST

    Is a 1650 worth 250 dollars

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:48 AM PST

    Asus 1650 Brand new

    submitted by /u/Quiet-Championship59
    [link] [comments]

    Will PC parts slow down? Or just your perception of them

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 07:27 AM PST

    Not sure if this is a daft question. I built my own PC about 4 years ago and it's been great - it cost me about £1800 at the time so it was pretty high end back then. Now I primarily use it for game development rather than gaming, so I don't think I've really had the problem of needing to upgrade to play newer games. But I can't help but feel like it chugs sometimes.

    Do the parts themselves actually slow down and that's why people upgrade? Or do people upgrade just to keep up with new games and software that comes out?

    submitted by /u/theuglybookling
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Asus Prime B450M-A a good motherboard for the r5 2600x?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 09:16 AM PST

    gonna be buying a r5 2600x cpu but i'm not sure whether the b450m-a would be a good choice

    submitted by /u/bwor
    [link] [comments]

    Dont do the same mistake i did... ALWAYS READ THE MANUAL FIRST

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:09 PM PST

    Howdy So, basically i put holes with a screwdriver in my PC case cause i did not read the cooler's manual and ended up wasting days on youtube/Reddit trying to understand why i had this issue.

    It is not a major issue but just a reminder to my fellow PC builders

    submitted by /u/etjustice
    [link] [comments]

    Planning to own a pc but is 600$ pc better or 500$ console

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 07:33 AM PST

    Help i want to own a pc but I'm confused wether to buy a pc or console

    submitted by /u/AnujP74
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing a Headset!

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:40 AM PST

    So, i need help choosing a headset for gaming.

    Im looking for comfortable headset with a mic, if its wireless thats a plus, but i like to have the option to go wired for VR mainly. Thought of Blackshark V2 Pro, but its really expensive, 150 Euros is as far as i can go.

    Thanks for the help in advance!

    submitted by /u/GSanders0n
    [link] [comments]

    i7-9700k vs i9-9900k vs i7-10700k

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 10:18 AM PST

    Hi, I'm currently using i3-9100 on MSI Z390 Tomahawk with 16GB RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro overclocked to 3733MHz 16-21-21. I'd like to upgrade it - i am using PC for personal use and gaming only - no streaming, rendering etc. I am wondering what I should do: upgrade my i3-9100 to i7-9700k or i9-9900k (both will be overclocked) or change my mobo and take i7-10700k. Currently i am using GTX 970 as my GPU but i am planning to change it to RTX 2070/Super/2080/Super. Monitor? 1080p 60Hz, but looking to replace it with 1080p 144Hz. Gonna use this PC for at least 3 years, so I won't be changing to 11th gen Intel Core CPUs.

    submitted by /u/BigBlueBicycle
    [link] [comments]

    Prebuilt PC for Warzone

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 07:59 AM PST

    Hi, I want to buy my first gaming PC, is the following PC advisable for playing Warzone with very high FPS?

    https://www.megaport.it/pc-da-gaming-intel-i9-raptor.html

    If not, does anyone know on which european website I could find something better (under 3k euros)? No UK websites please beacuse shipping to the EU is a mess right now.

    submitted by /u/HugeMathematician4
    [link] [comments]

    Building a music production PC and I'm not sure if I'm on the right path.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 05:13 AM PST

    I'm taking the leap and building a machine, but I'm really out of the loop on what's best for me. PC Part Picker is really helpful but with 8,000 different mobos to pick from and half a gazillion types of well, everything, I'm a little overwhelmed. I was hoping the geniuses here might make sure I'm on the right path.

    I use my machine for multitracking live instruments in FL Studio 20. (Upwards of 16 track simultaneously.) I run a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and an Focusrite Octopre MKII via USB and everything else is done in the box.

    https://imgur.com/hD64Uoi

    I see that there are some compatibility issues (per PC Part Picker) but it looks to just be the mobo not lining up with USB ports on the front of the case. So, is it safe to assume that I'll have access to the mobo ports through the back of the case or do I need to pick a different mobo/case?

    After years of using machines that weren't up to the task I want to build a damn rocketship that is relatively futureproofed and won't glitch out on me.

    Thanks for the help!

    Sorry if I've posted this incorrectly. There are days where I just feel old.

    Edit - Just saw that PC Parts Picker allows for copy/pasting into Reddit! Waahoo!

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FvKtBc)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qryV3C/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-39-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000025box) | $399.00 @ Adorama

    **Motherboard** | [MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mcjNnQ/msi-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-max-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-max-wifi) | $149.99 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fBLwrH/gskill-trident-z-rgb-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c18d-32gtzr) | $199.99 @ Newegg

    **Storage** | [Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4ZFf7/samsung-970-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e500bw) | $74.99 @ B&H

    **Storage** | [Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sD848d/seagate-ironwolf-8-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st8000vn004) | $199.99 @ Newegg

    **Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GT 710 1 GB Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rtnG3C/msi-video-card-gt7101gd3hlp) | $41.80 @ Amazon

    **Case** | [NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b7hmP6/nzxt-h510-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h510b-b1) | $69.98 @ Amazon

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y66Mp/corsair-rm-2019-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020195-na) | $124.99 @ Best Buy

    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfH48d/microsoft-os-fqc08930) | $139.88 @ Other World Computing

    **Monitor** | [Deco Gear VIEW101 35.0" 2560x1080 144 Hz Monitor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2DMTwP/deco-gear-view101-350-2560x1080-144-hz-monitor-view101) | $329.99 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$1730.60**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-03-09 08:22 EST-0500 |

    submitted by /u/Stalesmusic
    [link] [comments]

    HP Pavilion Question

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 09:04 AM PST

    They had a nice sale and with GPU prices I thought why not. However, I've heard some horror stories about HP and wondering if I made a mistake 😆 kicking myself for not just getting 8gb ram and upgrading myself after seeing how easy it is lol I also worry about the motherboard since I heard that HP locks the BIOS and you can't change the amount of RAM allocated to the integrated card. Tldr did i make a mistake lol

    NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 Super 8GB (GDDR6 dedicated)

    •512 SSD storage

    •No Secondary storage

    •HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit

    •BU RCTO PAV GAM UMA B550A TG01-1 US

    •McAfee Livesafe (30 day)

    •16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

    •Realtek Canary ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 M.2 2230 PCI-e+USB WW with 2 Antennas

    •Office Trial

    •Shadow black front bezel, Acid Green Chrome logo with 400W Power supply

    •Windows 10 Home Plus

    •OSLOC US

    •AMD Ryzen™ 5 4600G (3.7 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)

    submitted by /u/Mongillo19
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard for Ryzen 7 5800X

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:39 PM PST

    Dear Reddit-Community,

    this is my first post on this platform and I really need your help. I want to know, if anyone has an idea, which B550 Motherboard is best to use for the Ryzen 7 5800X. I want to use a B550, because the X570 series are pretty expensive, but I want to use the PCIe 4.0 for my nvme and graphics card.

    I would appreciate any ideas. My favorite was the Asus B550-F Gaming, but maybe I can safe some money, if I take a board with similar specs.

    Thanks.

    Greetings Trivial

    submitted by /u/IstDochTrivial
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to mount an AIO cooler like this?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 03:48 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/eNwpbrY

    I heard this is the improper way, but because of the tubing being too short from the bottom if i were to flip it, I can only mount my AIO like this. I can not mount it on the top either due to case/cabling reasons. This is the only way I can mount it. Also, are the tubings okay being crossed like that?

    submitted by /u/aklurking47
    [link] [comments]

    Need advise whether to upgrade motherboard

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:40 AM PST

    Hey, so I currently have a B450M Tomahawk Max flashed to the latest bios to run my 5800x. So far it's all good and I think everything is running well.

    So i'm debating whether to get an x570 Aorus Master or ROG Crosshair 8 but is still not sure if it's worth it. So far here's my pros and cons:

    Pros: - More future proof - Better VRM (i guess?) - More M.2 slot (to avoid more wires) - ARGB header

    Cons: - Need to shell out $$$ - Old mobo will just be lying around

    Also regarding CPU OC, will changing mobo improve my CPU OC or it's a very miniscule improvement, if there are any.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tyy0007
    [link] [comments]

    Is the RTX 3060 worth it if I am not planning on playing many ray-tracing supported games?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 11:13 AM PST

    I recently started looking into building a budget gaming PC. I know now is the worst time to try to build a pc, but looking ahead, should I buy a cheap RTX card if I am not planning on playing many Ray-Tracing games (Just Minecraft RTX). Should I get a cheaper card instead, like the GTX 1660?

    submitted by /u/PcPotato7
    [link] [comments]

    PSU

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:25 PM PST

    I'm building a pc soon I want to know what power supply I should get for a ryzen 7 3700x and a 3070

    submitted by /u/Popular_Tumbleweed_6
    [link] [comments]

    Dim B1 and B2 not working. 5800x CPU is culprit, but can't figure out what's wrong.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:27 AM PST

    Hello,

    I have a Ryzen 5800x that i think worked fine before. But one day i took it out to change motherboards, and i think i didnt pull the lever until it clicked. That meant i had to wedge it out, which caused som scratches on the green print board. But nothing that should defect the CPU afaik.

    Anyway ram slot B1 and B2, and therefore dual channel, are not working now. I know it is not the motherboard since i tried to switch with a friend who had a Ryzen 3600, and ram slots worked on my motherboard with his, while his ramslots didn't work with mine either.

    I have check for thoroughly for more than an hour for bend pins which would be the obvious cause, and they are all perfectly straight. I have also cleaned off the thermal paste i could from the pins, but it still isn't working. I could not get it covered from the shop i bought it from because of the scratches, but they did send me some pictures i took which can be seen here https://imgur.com/a/C24yf0f.

    Does anyone have any idea what i can do to fix my cpu? Im at a loss by now.

    Thanks for your time

    submitted by /u/Baekiscool
    [link] [comments]

    EV3A 500W power supply keeps making odd noise and over heats easily.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:16 PM PST

    For context, I've had this PC for about three years or so. I'm not very well versed in PC building, so my dad built it for me for my birthday.

    I clean the inside of my PC fairly regularly and otherwise take good care of it. I recently did a deep clean of files and programs on my computer and that seemed to help for a day or so before it went back to doing the same thing again...I don't want to have to replace it because currently I'm super broke. Is there anything that can be fixed? I have video of it and can take pictures of the inside of my PC if needed.

    submitted by /u/stardust-memories
    [link] [comments]

    Debug Light (X570 Tomahawk)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 07:36 AM PST

    Hi, I'm having issue with my PC hoping someone can help me out.

    My PC was running fine with 5600X

    RTX 3060Ti

    Mobo: X570 Tomahawk WiFi

    Latest BIOS

    I changed GPU this morning and it stopped booting

    To get it booted after that I had to short the power pins. Now it boots fine with power switch

    Since then It boots but I keep getting CPU debug light.

    As soon as I press the power button, CPU debug light is on.

    I've reflashed BIOS

    Cleared CMOS

    But same issue

    Update 1: I've taken everything out of the mobo to flash the new BIOS and while it's flashing the new BIOS, CPU debug light is still on.

    Update 2:

    So done bios flash again without CPU,

    Plugged in CPU only and debug led changed to DRAM

    When I plugged in dram, it changes back to CPU again

    I tried another ram stick from different PC and CPU light comes on.

    submitted by /u/DesixDesi
    [link] [comments]

    Shock causes my PC to reboot.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 01:20 PM PST

    Title. I am doing a Watercooled build a temporary setup in the NR200 right now while I await the final bits for my water cooling setup

    I was sitting in my chair with a BIG fuzzy blanket on my lap watching YouTube. I went to type on my and I felt a static shock upon touching the metal part of my keeb. Immimidiently the PC restarted. No smell of burning caps, no nothing. Just a instant reboot and back to windows.

    So naturally I'm freaking out, this is my first water cooled PC and im paranoid. All case side panels are off, but front and top panel are on. A few cables from the PSU are sticking out a bit, right near the keyboard (lazy, ik, but this was temporary). So maybe they touched the keyboard and the shock travelled to them? No idea.

    What are the odds the shock damaged my components, if it managed to make the PC restart?

    submitted by /u/SodaSuccubus
    [link] [comments]

    First time building desktop, worried about bottlenecks / compatibility

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 05:17 AM PST

    I build this PC on the german website of IBUYPOWER.

    I plan on accepting the standard CPU Cooler at no additional cost and buy an aftermarket heatsink for the CPU, as I am not the biggest fan of water cooling. How hard is replacing a cpu fan for someone who has never done it before? Is the thermal liquid included with aftermarket heatsinks or will I also have to buy some of it, and is there anything important to know about that stuff?

    The PCIE SSD will basically store windows, the SSD Harddrive will store my games, and the HDD will be for all other files and apps.

    My chosen parts:

    Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor
    Processorn cooling Included CPU Cooler
    Ram 16GB DDR4/3200MHz Memory(Cosair,G.Skill,T-Force)
    Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    M.2 /PCI-E SSD 256 GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe NVME -- Read: 3000MB/s; Write: 1000MB/s
    Harddrive 500 GB Crucial MX500 Series SSD -- Read: 560MB/s, Write: 510MB/s
    2. Harddrive 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM HDD (Seagate)
    Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro (Edit: Prefered ASRock B550 STEEL LEGEND)
    Power adapter 700W be quiet! System Power 9 700W 80+ Bronze
    Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 DX Tempered Glass Black
    Case Fans Included Fans

    (This build, as is, will cost 1547.06 EUR before Tax and 1841 EUR after, which seems like a good deal to me)

    submitted by /u/InofficialPlaytester
    [link] [comments]

    SSD and HDD temperature

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 11:40 AM PST

    What is the temperature of ssd after 3-4 usage hours? How specifically do you use them? What kind of ssd do you have (Name, capacity, type)

    submitted by /u/endrede545
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment