• Breaking News

    Friday, February 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 12, 2021


    Simple Questions - February 12, 2021

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How to choose a wifi card?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 04:39 AM PST

    Currently looking at a Asus PCE AC51, it says in the specs that it supports up to 733mbps.

    My service provider says that i have 1000 Mbit download and 100 Mbit upload.

    I'm having a hard time differentiating between the two. Will the wifi card be good enough for gaming and such?

    Edit:thanks for the help guys, I ended up spending a bit more and getting a TP-link Archer TX3000E, all reviews I've read were great. Also looking at a router upgrade. Thanks again

    submitted by /u/Fessorman
    [link] [comments]

    I gave up...

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 12:34 AM PST

    So I had all my parts for my first ever pc build except for the cpu and gpu. I had my heart set on a 3060 ti and processor didn't matter as much to me. I got the ryzen 3600 and I just didn't have the time to wait around for a 3060 and I just got a used 1070. I'm coming off an old ass dell pc it can't even run roblox at over 30 frames, and the game I'm going to be playing that's the hardest to run will probably just be GTA5

    submitted by /u/kishenchhina0
    [link] [comments]

    PC wont display when GPU is installed

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 07:18 AM PST

    Hi guys, so I've just built a PC for my friend. I have installed Windows 10 on the system and it works fine without the GPU. But as soon as I install the GPU, the PC wont display anything on the monitor (I have tried on 3 working monitors). The fans turns on and everything but there's no display.

    The GPU is RX580 Sapphire Nitro, but I can confirm the GPU works because I have another system to test it out and it worked fine. The odd thing is, I had the same problem before with my friends PC when I built it 3 months ago. During that time, I tried using DisplayPort and HDMI cables but it did not work. I tried DVI however and it worked. Then after that using DisplayPort worked.

    But today I helped him change his motherboard, and the problem arises again. I do not have a DVI cable for me at the moment and I wonder if anyone could help with with this. Thanks a bunch!

    What I've tried:

    • Disable the Integrated graphics on the BIOS
    • Tightened all connections including ram etc...

    Friend's PC Specs:

    CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G

    GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB

    PSU: FSP Hexa+ 450W

    RAM: Adata XPG Spectrix D41 8GB 3200Mhz x2

    MOBO: MSI a320m -A PRO

    submitted by /u/PinkIsNotKind
    [link] [comments]

    Kids away for the evening can only mean one thing...

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 10:23 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/IuGe8yu

    Specs:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x

    Cooler: NH-U12A (2nd hand)

    Mobo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz CL16

    GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 FE

    Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2

    PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750W 80+ Gold

    Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM

    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

    submitted by /u/kfd2804
    [link] [comments]

    Does 5600x benefit from B die ram? I know older amd cpus did but is this still a thing now?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 07:06 AM PST

    There is ram I'm looking at that has a regular version then a B die version for $5 more, it's the exact same ram otherwise, the product number even has only one letter in between them different, I plan on getting a 5600x, which should I get? Does it not matter? In the description of one of the rams it says it's b die. Here are the two rams

    B die in description: https://www.microcenter.com/product/600722/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-3200-pc4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-cmk16gx4m2z3200---black

    Non b die: https://www.microcenter.com/product/501730/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-3200-pc4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-cmk16gx4m2d3200---black

    submitted by /u/GilWinterwood
    [link] [comments]

    LF advice for a AM4 Motherboard

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:11 AM PST

    I plan on buying a Ryzen 5800x as an upgrade for my 7700k.
    But when it comes to motherboards i am kinda overhwhelmed because there are so many of them that are nearly identical if you look at the specs.

    The PC is mostly for gaming but i also use it for a bit of rendering and sculpting with Blender and Zbrush. I also want to be able to overclock the CPU as i also delided my 7700k and keep it running at 4.8 Ghz.
    WiFi is something i 100% don't need.

    Price should be around 200€-250€

    My system atm:
    7700k
    RTX 3080
    32 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz CL16
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO & 850 EVO
    EVGA 750W Gold power supply

    submitted by /u/Headless_Human
    [link] [comments]

    Won’t post after tweaking memory settings

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:20 AM PST

    I have a Asus Prime B360M-A, I guess I didn't know that memory couldn't go past 2666mhz on this motherboard but I changed my "DRAM Speed" to 3200MHz in BIOS and now it won't boot.

    I tried shorting the CMOS jumper pins with a screwdriver and I'm still getting no signal. What do I do? :(

    edit: Solved. Was quite a bit tricky. I'm pretty sure resetting the CMOS jumper DID work. My 144Hz monitor wouldn't turn on despite using DP, HDMI and switching between GPU/MOBO video ports. What did work was getting my old monitor and turns out it was already in BIOS. Booted into Windows and now everything works again. Strange that my 144Hz monitor can't enter BIOS anymore (or see the splash screen), but it'll respond after Windows loads. If anyone has any ideas that'd be splendid but for now solved! Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Any_Offer_32
    [link] [comments]

    Just wanted to say thank you.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 01:10 PM PST

    Just wanted to thank EVERYONE here for all their help. As I get older and the family gets bigger I have less and less time for my usual research and I'm not always up to date on the newer hardware even though I always try to stay constant.

    I really appreciate all the feedback and information whenever I post a question, no matter how off the wall it may seem. I appreciate you all, keep building and keep helping others you guys are ALL THE BEST!! THANK YOU!

    submitted by /u/Bigchuck615
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap aftermarket heatsink better than wraith stealth

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 04:48 AM PST

    rx 590

    r5 2600

    I have 2 arctic p12 fans that'll be going in my case, but I'm wondering whether there are CPU *heatsink only* things I can buy on amazon, and use one of the p12s for.

    I also have a gigabyte rx590 that can be insanely loud, which I have no idea how to fix. Idk if it has anything to do with utilisation spikes that show up in Radeon software, (big 20-100% kinda spikes while playing games)

    submitted by /u/1nsignif
    [link] [comments]

    Ram upgrade for my 5960x

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 04:33 AM PST

    So i have a 5960x with 16GB and i really need an upgrade but the problem is all the rams that are on my motherboard support list are out of life. A few years ago i bought 32gb 4x8 but sadly they didn't work

    Soc champion x99 motherboard

    submitted by /u/--Happy--
    [link] [comments]

    Reusing a M.2 SSD

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:09 AM PST

    Hello, I just built a new pc and switched the M.2 SSD from my old pc to the new one. Went from MSI B450 Tomahawk to a Strix x570-B Gaming.

    Since my old M.2 has windows installed on it already, should it boot from it automatically? Its booting into the bios and when I exit the bios, it boots right back into it. Not really sure if I should try to boot from a usb and reinstall windows or what.

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/Racer732
    [link] [comments]

    Which one is better 16GB 3200MHZ vs 16GB 2666MHZ

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 07:35 AM PST

    16GB SODIMM DDR4 2666MHZ CRUCIAL MODULE (CT16G4SFRA266) CL 19

    or

    16GB DDR4 3200MHZ CRUCIAL SO-DIMM CT16G4SFRA32A MEMORY CL22

    (even if the pc doesn't support 3200MHZ)

    is CL22 worst?

    submitted by /u/gevide
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get monitor display + BIOS incompatibility

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 07:13 AM PST

    So basically, I got the last of my roommates parts yesterday and I go to put everything together, but now I can't get a display to the monitor, and then I learn the cpu isn't compatible with the motherboard I need to know how can I perform a bios update, and could this be the reason behind the display error?

    For anyone wondering, the parts include a ryzen 3600 Asus b450m A/CSM 16gb 3600mhz crucial p. Ballistix Gigabyte gtx1650 4gb

    submitted by /u/renadeer52
    [link] [comments]

    16GB vs 32GB RAM?... i7-9700 vs Ryzen 5 3600 vs something more powerful?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:28 AM PST

    These are my two main questions.

    This will be for a work PC. This is all new to me, so some pointers would be helpful. I am a data scientist and modeller working with reasonably large datasets (not BIG big, but multivariate statistics and modelling of datasets with over 1,000,000 datapoints). I might also use some GIS programs for spatial statistics.

    No intensive or demanding gaming (just some online Civilization), no live streaming, no AI or deep learning.

    My big questions are will 16GB be enough, or should I go for 32GB?

    & what is the better option, Ryzen 5 3600 with low-end dedicated GPU, i7-9700 with integrated GPU, or something more powerful with 8 cores? (budget is kind of an issue, not too constricting, but obviously I don't want to pay for something I won't need). Thanks

    submitted by /u/tiford88
    [link] [comments]

    Mixing laptop ram?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 12:32 AM PST

    So I was wondering, I have a laptop and i'm upgrading the ram. I have a 4gb currently and I ordered an 8gb. I was wondering if I could use both of those sticks to create 12gb of ram?

    submitted by /u/Aiden_12114
    [link] [comments]

    [ UK ] Cheapest 1080p GPU, that can also handle streaming?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:10 AM PST

    Budget - <£250

    I building a PC for a friend's son, who's looking to utilise steam, as well as utilising the PC as a streaming PC, when he streams PS4 content.

    What would fit into the price bracket, that's available, for <£250?

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/stphngrnr
    [link] [comments]

    Phanteks case fans - how to plug rgb connector

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 12:29 PM PST

    So, I got my P400A and other stuff. It comes with 3 fans in the front and i bought 1x 120mm and 2x 140mm for the back. There are 3pin connectors which are "phanteks drgb connectors". But how do I plug them in my motherboard so i can control them via MSI Mystic Light? Its a 3pin connector, but not like 3pin argb, that has one left out (xx_x) its like this: (xxx). Some people on other forums wrote that you somehow link them up to the included fan controller in the front-top of the case, but that one is connected via 1 3pin argb connector to my mobo. So wouldnt more fans fry out the connector on the mobo? 1 fan has 12 leds each (36 leds from the front and i would then link up 36 in the back as well resulting in 72 leds in a single connector. Does that work due to Phanteks using other power delivery method for their fan controller?

    submitted by /u/P3tM3tt
    [link] [comments]

    First timer build: Did I miss anything?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:40 AM PST

    Since this is my first build, I was wondering if some more experienced users could check if I made any mistakes or if there are clear possibilities to improve.
    The main use for this PC would be mid-range online and offline gaming. I plan to use a 2K monitor and a 1080p monitor at the same time. I have no plans for video-rendering or 3D-design. Preferably this PC should be able to manage upcoming games for the next 4-5 years.
    Due to the scarcity and inflated prices of GPU's, I raised my budget to around EUR 1800.
    I chose to spend a little extra include an ASUS motherboard because of previous experience and because I read that their software is easier to manage for an inexperienced user.
    Since I would need the PC to be fully operational within a couple of weeks, I can't wait for the prices of GPU's to drop, for 11th-gen Intel CPU's or for PCI 4.0 support.

    This is what I came up with:
    - Geforce RTX 3070
    - Intel Core i5-10600k
    - ASUS TUF GAMING Z490 Plus WiFi
    - For CPU cooler I would prefer the cooling potential of a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 but I'm afraid the size might cause problems. So maybe a CM Hyper 212? Looks are no major concern, but I personally don't like the coloring scheme of Noctua.
    - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    - PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    - Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
    - Case is still to be determined

    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thank you in advance for your time responding to this!

    PS: Not a native speaker, my apologies for any linguistic errors on my part.

    submitted by /u/CptSaruso
    [link] [comments]

    When repasting a cpu, do I need to remove the processor from the motherboard or is it safe to clean it right there in the socket? Just worried it would move around. 6700k if that matters.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 12:21 PM PST

    Title

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ravenomega
    [link] [comments]

    PC randomly crashes while on light-load (internet browsing), not while running beefy games

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:32 AM PST

    Motherboard: MSI B350m (3 years old) GPU: Radeon 5700XT (4 months old) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (3 years old) PSU: ARESGAME AGV 650w (1 month old)

    About a week ago, my computer was randomly crashing when loading games. The displays would shut off, and the peripheral devices (such as the keyboard and mouse) would shut off and lose connection as well. However the fans and motherboard would still be powered and running in the PC, and the only way to fix it is holding down the restart button and waiting for it to turn on.

    I did my own troubleshooting on this issue and guessed it was my GPU overheating. I downloaded a hardware monitor and noticed when starting to play Rocket League, my GPU would get above 95°C and guessed this was the source of my crash. This was very weird because I have too many fans and a very cooling-oriented case. I shut down my PC, opened it up, and found that one of my cables somehow bent upwards and was blocking 1 of the 2 GPU fans from spinning. I quickly fixed this and it solved my overheating issue and got no crashes.

    The next day, I was watching a YouTube video on Brave and my PC crashed in the identical way. I thought maybe the GPU fan was blocked again, so I started watching it, and it was working perfectly fine. I played some beefy games such as RDR2 or Rocket League again for about 5 hours straight with no crashes, so I thought it was an anomaly. Unfortunately it crashed later while browsing the internet, and crashed again this morning during a work zoom call.

    This time as it crashed, I looked more in-depth on the motherboard and noticed the ez-debug light on my motherboard was lit up on the "CPU" light. This the first time I've had any issues with the CPU. Every cable seems fine, my PSU had no issues before this, etc.

    What could be the cause of this? Since the issue didn't start until after the overheating issue, I would guess it fried part of my motherboard. However I never noticed any smell, smoke, or any symptoms. Just the occasional crash from light loads.

    EDIT: just crashed once more while running a game for 10 minutes. No CPU light, no fans running, only my RGB ram sticks are on

    EDIT2: same thing happened again, can't even press the restart button. Had to turn off/on the PSU switch to turn back on my PC. I then shut it off normally.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/DoggoCheezIt
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade video card or build a new PC

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 02:10 PM PST

    I have an older PC right now:

    • AMD Radeon HD 6800 series GPU
    • i5-3550
    • 8 GB DDR

    Is it worth it to just upgrade the GPU for games like Apex? I only have a 1080p monitor, so I'm not looking for 1440 or anything.

    submitted by /u/uberkalden
    [link] [comments]

    PC Performance Running Lower Than Expected

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 02:07 PM PST

    Hello, everyone!

    I just recently built a PC with a lot of (what I believe to be) high-end specs. However, it seems to me like I'm getting a lower performance out of it than I probably should be. Notably, on my PCMark test I ran, I got a lower performance than both "high-end gaming PC" and just regular "gaming PC". My 3DMark test came out to be a lot better at but appears to still be below average of people with the same CPU and GPU.

    Don't know if I'm simply overthinking things or if there's actually something wrong here so I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get here!

    Here are the PCMark scores: https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10/58228242?

    And the 3DMark scores: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58229428?

    Also, here are all my computer parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YcwzsX

    Again, any help would be much appreciated! Trying to use this to get the best render times I can for content creation and gaming so I want to be sure it's running the best it can be.

    submitted by /u/CynicalJustin
    [link] [comments]

    OK reddit, 3 120mm or 2 140mm

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 05:56 AM PST

    Quick question on bottlenecking

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 02:06 PM PST

    Does integrated graphics like in a intel cpu bottleneck a gpu? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question I'm just started learning about how a computer works and hardware and software wise.

    submitted by /u/No_Chart_7576
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment