• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 31, 2021


    Simple Questions - January 31, 2021

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gamers Nexus: Owners of the NXZT H1 case should discontinue use of the PCIe riser immediately (fire hazard)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:05 AM PST

    See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUscSRLwks

    Gamers Nexus investigated the PCIe riser fire issue and has concluded that the design of the riser has serious issues and poses a major fire hazard. The nylon screw fix issued by NZXT does not address the inherent design problem with the riser, and so the riser is not safe to have installed in your system.

    submitted by /u/Saprod
    [link] [comments]

    Work desk hunt!

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 12:16 PM PST

    Hey Guys! I am in the process of building my workstation. I was able to build my new pc. (Luckily I bought a graphics last Oct. before the bitcoin madness).

    I am not a good craftsman so I am trying to find a good work desk that is adjustable. What I mean is I can increase/decrease the height. I saw some customized desk but I don't have tools or the knowledge to make one.

    submitted by /u/uscg02ws6
    [link] [comments]

    Whatever happened with the ASUS PC giveaway?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 03:20 PM PST

    This giveaway ended on January 10th, but it doesn't seem to have been updated and I haven't seen any update posts from that user either.

    Did they ever reach out to the winners? It seems like a long time, but I've never had to filter through the submissions of a giveaway like this, so it's not like I have any idea how much work it takes.

    submitted by /u/pm_me_WAIT_NO_DONT
    [link] [comments]

    Is it asking too much just to purchase a video card for MSRP?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 04:19 PM PST

    How is anyone else not angry at this?

    For more than half my life so far, I've been into PC gaming. I have always been relatively poor and forced to go with extreme budget builds for the first half of the 2010's. I always had to deal with hardware malfunctions. I wanted to be the one who could destroy the latest games at high settings but I never had an opportunity to do such. I always was into performance and speed as long as I can remember, and always fawned over the expensive but fast hardware, hoping that someday I'd be able to obtain it, never being able to afford it.

    I'm finally now in a situation where I don't have to worry about money nearly as much as before. I can finally afford the dream PC I want now. I want to upgrade to from my GTX 1060 to RTX 3080. But guess what? Fuck me. The latest GPUs are already 5 months old at this point. Literally the only ways to get one now is to hang around stock update livestreams for hours or potentially days, or spam refresh on retailers and hope for a *chance*, a sliver of possibilty that you can get one for the price it is supposed to be.

    Or, you can bend the knee to the very people who are perpetuating the problem, give in and purchase one with upwards of 100% markup.

    I literally haven't upgraded my GPU since early 2018. I'm still stuck on a 5 year old 1060. I hope one of these days the scalpers get their karma and hardware can go into the hands of actual genuine consumers. Its a shame that this is not how it is right now and that I have to even hope for it in the first place.

    submitted by /u/spnzer
    [link] [comments]

    PC building/cleaning tools

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:12 PM PST

    Hey guys, recently I bought the parts needed for my first pc and got a few of them today. After opening what I got I realized I don't have a screwdriver. So I was wondering what kind of screwdriver I need and also how you guys clean your pc(monitor,keyboard and inside the case).

    don't know if it matters but the case I have is a mb311L

    submitted by /u/nootcracker69
    [link] [comments]

    Hyper useful guides and videos for building a pc

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:47 AM PST

    Hyper in depth guide to B550 motherboards https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/i8jz6a/a_hyper_in_depth_guide_to_b550_boards_that_out/

    PSU tier list https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

    Power supply paperclip test

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPMx9dw0LU

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2RizQ8U2k

    How to test your new PC parts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9206E_rOduU

    Front panel connector guide

    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/496345294989164544/792599936578879498/extendedfrontpanel.png

    https://youtu.be/DPELIdVNZUI

    Guide: What to do AFTER building your computer... - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYoCXh2gtw

    How to build a pc

    live streams by u/OolonCaluphid

    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/886762563

    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/828349267

    by Robeytech

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgpY6GkklE

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtALhv22Ltk

    Bitwit - How to Build a PC! Step-by-step

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=63&v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

    Paul's Hardware

    How To Build a Gaming PC in 2019! Playlist

    Part 1: https://youtu.be/gHY6ygHj80c

    Part 2: https://youtu.be/i5jFXl0GZJo

    Part 3: https://youtu.be/WXwMbmhCQuY

    Linus Tech Tips

    First Person View PC BUILD Guide! (POV)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MYOpFONCU

    How to setup a new PC! Windows 10 Install, Memory Overclock and Benchmarking

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1vtj5ffZY8

    https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

    1. Insert an 8GB or higher USB stick into your PC. Format the USB to FAT32 or exFAT before installation. Formatting will ERASE ALL DATA on the USB. (Right click the USB > Format > File System: FAT32 > Quick Format > Start.)

    2. Download the Windows MCT (Media Creation Tool) from the link above.

    3. Run the MCT. Select "Create installation media for another PC." Follow the prompts to select your USB flash drive as your media and create the installer.

    4. Once complete, your USB is now ready to install Windows on another PC. Power down that PC. Insert the USB installer. Boot the PC.

    WARNING: When installing Windows on a new PC, ensure only one drive (the drive you want the OS on) is plugged in. Unplug all other drives prior to installing Windows.

    submitted by /u/PolarCircl3
    [link] [comments]

    Why some RAM have X-X-X-X latency while others only X-X-X ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:02 PM PST

    I'm between 2 ram sticks of similar prices:

    CRUCIAL BALLISTIX (BL2K16G32C16U4R) 16-18-18-36

    VS

    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX(AX4U3200316G16-SR41) 16-18-18

    The problem is that the XPG ram doesn't provide the full specs. Only 3 numbers of latency. Since their price are equal, i'd like to buy the one with lower timings.

    submitted by /u/felipebsr
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help building a PC with a 2080ti

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:29 AM PST

    My friend is giving me his 2080ti and I was wondering what I would need to use it effectively. If you have any suggestions and links that would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/micahnine99
    [link] [comments]

    1 or 2 terabyte hard drive?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:14 AM PST

    I am currently in the process of buying myself a new PC after my old one decided to break down. My new PC will have a 500GB SSD and now I am asking myself whether a 1 or a 2 TB hard drive should be added. What is your opinion?

    submitted by /u/PuntoPorPastor
    [link] [comments]

    It's ok to air cool

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:39 AM PST

    Most of the posts I see on r/buildapc and other PC building subreddits seem to indicate that water cooled systems are preferable to air cooled ones. To provide a data point in the opposite direction, I wanted to share some anecdotal temperature data from my recent PC upgrade.

    I recently upgraded from a 6700k + 1070 CPU/GPU combo to a 10700k + 3090 while keeping the same case (Corsair 200r) and CPU cooler (Noctua U12s). As a note, I am using my motherboard's AI overclock on the 10700k and no overclock on the 3090. I added two Noctua NF-F12 case fans alongside the CPU/motherboard/GPU upgrade but all other components remained constant. All in all, the temperature of my CPU/GPU went from low 60C (COD Warzone) with the 6700k/1070 to upper 60C and low 70C under load for the 10700k/3090 (Cyberpunk 2077).

    I write all this to say that air cooling is likely more than sufficient for most users if implemented properly. The 10700k and RTX 3090 are notoriously warm components and Cyberpunk is considered by many to be unreasonably resource demanding.

    If you want to water cool because you like the way it looks, more power to you. But if you think you need a water cooled system to run high end games and components, you probably do not.

    submitted by /u/Jungle_dweller
    [link] [comments]

    Issue with fans randomly ignoring fan curve.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:12 AM PST

    So I've been having an issue with the ASUS's AI Suite 3 and having it use the fan curves that I give it. Despite what the curves say, the rpm of my cpu fans (and ONLY my CPU fans) will skyrocket in rpm. IE, from 600 to 1700. It's also worth noting that AI Suite seems to ignore the ramp up and ramp down times that I have set.

    At first I thought that maybe the q-fan settings in bios needed to be at their default so I reloaded optimized defaults and went back to AI Suite and still had the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing this?

    And BEFORE anyone says "why don't you just set your fan curve in bios, and get rid of AI Suite. It's garbage software anyway..." I can't lower my AIO pump speed in bios, even after using the fan benchmarking tool, so I'm stuck using AI Suite.

    Image of AI Suite III

    submitted by /u/GimmickMusik1
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the best bang for my buck graphics card with a Ryzen 5 3600

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:58 PM PST

    Looking to upgrade cpu from i7-3770k to Intel Core i9-10850K advice on Motherboard?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:46 PM PST

    Would this combo a good choice from Canada computers? I'm keeping my case and everything else.

    Intel Core i9-10850K with GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE AC? Also would anyone recommend what ram would be good? thank you

    https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_65_1971&item_id=180316

    https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1842_1960&item_id=167971

    submitted by /u/Redbaron1981
    [link] [comments]

    is this cpu bent?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:44 AM PST

    https://ibb.co/znxL3Zb I know its not really showing well but anyways I build a new pc today and everything went perfectly when I turned it on everything is lighting and fans are spinning except I can't see display and on my mobo it has debug feature and there is a light on cpu thing anyways idk what to do help

    submitted by /u/Dorea1
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get the ryzen 3700x or wait for the ryzen 5600x to come out ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 05:45 AM PST

    I need to build a pc, but the 5600x is impossible to find, I've looked everywhere. But the 3700x is available basically everywhere, but the reason I'm asking this is the 5600x from what I have seen preforms a tiny bit better and is $469 while the 3700x is $499. Is it worth the $30 to buy the 3700x ? Or should I wait ? (There is no eta for when I can expect there to be stock for the 5600x)

    submitted by /u/mpcrt6
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard lights up but PC won’t turn on

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:25 AM PST

    My sisters PC randomly shut off after about a month of use and wouldn't turn back on. When the power switch is on, the small red lights on the motherboard (ASUS B150M Pro Gaming) light up but the power button does nothing. We have tried:

    Checking every cable is securely plugged in

    Jump starting the PC with a screwdriver

    Replacing the screws on the mobo to make sure it isn't shorting by touching the case

    Reseating the CPU

    Replacing the PSU

    Removing and replacing RAM

    Is there anything we've missed? I don't have another motherboard to test out and would rather not spend $ on one if the issue lies elsewhere.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/soupzYT
    [link] [comments]

    DRAM and CPU Light On and Fans Spinning but No Post

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:11 AM PST

    I attempted to build my first PC yesterday, and although it took around 6 hours, I ended up finishing. My system booted up to Windows 10 off a usb flash drive and I let the drivers updates run themselves. When finished with the basic Windows drivers, I realized that i didn't set my ram to its advertised speed. I restarted into the UEFI bios, and I saw that the system only detected 8 gb of the 16 gb I had total. I turned the system off, unplugged everything, and reseated the ram. When i attempted to boot again, the system and fans would turn on, but there was no display on my monitor, and the DRAM and CPU lights were on my motherboard, lit up bright red. ( I have an ASROCK b550m Pro Motherboard.) I am now in the phase of troubleshooting this issue and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice to me. I am 14 years old, so excuse me if I am lacking in this field of knowledge.

    submitted by /u/Rileydurk
    [link] [comments]

    PC power supply turns on but the pc won't

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:10 AM PST

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Gashphul/saved/#view=nnyDqs

    I'm building my first pc and I have everything put together, but it won't turn on. I've tested my power supply with a paper clip and it works, but when it's plugged in to the mother board it won't turn on. The CPU looks fine(https://imgur.com/fQK7Uy1), so I think I might have broken a path on the mother board or there's static damage, but I just want to make sure it's not anything else. Other things that are worth noting include the M.2 drive is bent(https://imgur.com/yqu4epz) and a section of the GPU looks a bit weird to me(https://imgur.com/sbJnzMi).

    If more pictures are needed I can provide them.

    submitted by /u/KidCalledFox
    [link] [comments]

    Bored

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 11:26 PM PST

    Anyone else feel really bored after you build your pc, download drivers, updates, etc.? and then just browse reddit or go on YouTube? I just built my first pc yesterday after months of anticipation and the excitement of building it but now im just bored

    submitted by /u/Jigglez54
    [link] [comments]

    What CPU should i get ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:18 PM PST

    Hello,

    I recently upgraded my GPU to be able to play Assetto Corsa Competitzione on my 2560x1440 monitor. But now found out that my CPU is still way too weak for it..

    I feel kinda bad asking for help on here, but I dont know what CPU and new mainboard I have to buy.

    Help is really appreciated and thanks in advance!

    Im from Germany.

    My current build:

    Windows 10 64x

    CPU: Intel i5-7600k CPU @ 3.80 GHz, 3792 MHz, 4 core

    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

    Mainboard: ASUS Strix Z270F Gaming

    RAM: 16 GB (4x4GB)

    Power Supply: Thermaltake ToughPower Grand Series 650 W

    SSD: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB, 1x Corsair MP500 120GB

    submitted by /u/lReturn
    [link] [comments]

    Optiplex with already owned PSU + GPU

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:13 PM PST

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do) Yep!

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better. Light music production (live instrument) + Apex + Valorant

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings) 1080p low quality 90fps gaming

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)? ~$300 (Already have decent GPU and PSU, looking to put them in a recycled dell)

    In what country are you purchasing your parts? USA

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    I'm looking to put the GPU and PSU I already own in an Optiplex 9010 MT.

    The specs for the Optiplex MT are here

    I feel like if I put the EVGA Bronze 600 PSU I already own and the Radeon R7 370 inside of the Optiplex, I should be set right?

    Basically looking for a thumbs up from people smarter than me that parts are compatible. I have my own new SSD to put in it as well.

    The Optiplex power supply puts out 75W by default, but the TDP of my card is like 110W. My main question is if my PSU will be okay with the Optiplex MT motherboard? If you can't approve entire compatibility thats cool, but I'm curious how to gain info to answer that question.

    I'm sure the PSU and GPU work well now, it's just that they're with a motherboard thats FM2+, which puts my Athlon X4 845 at 100% while my GPU is at 40%.

    Trying to escape the CPU bottleneck by moving to an intel board, and the optiplex seemed like a good option cause it's CPU is twice as high on passmark.

    Thanks again, first time posting / upgrading my PC, so if I'm not understanding a posting rule appropriately, apologies in advance. Appreciate any help you can give.

    submitted by /u/115bwm
    [link] [comments]

    First m.2 slot no longer working on motherboard?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:03 PM PST

    Hi there, I recently built my first PC a few months back and everything was going fine until the other day where my PC kept booting straight to the BIOS with no SSD detected in my first m.2 slot. So I took it out and swapped it in to the second m.2 slot and it seems to boot and work fine out of that slot. Does this sound like an issue on the motherboards behalf and should I be worried?

    Mobo - MSI MAG x570 tommahawk

    SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

    CPU - Ryzen 5900x

    GPU - MSI Radeon 5500XT

    submitted by /u/finlaygills
    [link] [comments]

    Heatsink fan just died, what replacement fan should I get?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:59 PM PST

    Heatsink in question is a Cooler Master GeminII M4 CPU Cooler.

    So far I've found a cooler master which looks good but need opinions/thoughts before I commit or any better recommendations would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030DL37I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_0ZMWJABT4PW2N54SXE47

    submitted by /u/SunnyDehlight
    [link] [comments]

    I need a AM4 Motherboard recommendation :)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:59 PM PST

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zmCQBc

    This is my build and it's nearly complete...however I still need to buy my motherboard which I had set in stone as The MSI X570 Unify and my entire build was based around that motherboard as it's M.2 slots don't slow down the Graphics Card slot (and I have two M.2 drives) However, I just learnt that my DRGB can't be altered without Dragon Centre and I swore an oath that I will not install that software on my system when I build it, my fans/AIO are also EK so a controller hub is also out (EK hub is apparently defective and doesn't work with its own software)

    So my only choice is to go with a different motherboard. However I specifically chose this motherboard for this build and I'm not sure what would be an easy switch. My budget isn't an issue so whatever motherboard you can recommend money won't get in the way.

    Thanks for any help :)

    submitted by /u/AG28DaveGunner
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment