• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 28, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 28, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 28, 2021


    Simple Questions - January 28, 2021

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Core 2 Duo useful anymore?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:38 AM PST

    A while ago, I took apart my computer, as my family no longer needed it, and it had already started showing its age many years before it stopped being used.

    The CPU is a Core 2 Duo E6300, and I was considering re-purposing it in a build put together with old parts I can find on ebay. But, after looking at a bottleneck calculator, it says that the cpu wouldn't even be good with a GTX 1050! So, would my processor even be useful now if I wanted to build a cheap, low end system out of used parts (except the psu of course) that can at least run games at 60fps low/med?

    Edit - I know that games are less CPU dependent at higher resolutions, so if I could find a used... lets say, 1070, and run it at 1440p or even 4k, could I get away with my old CPU? Or should I just take the risk of slight bottlenecks and go for a 1050, or heck even a 900 series?

    submitted by /u/Arvin_1008
    [link] [comments]

    Desk and chair set up

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 06:48 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    I was able to save up on my first job to build my own pc. I got myself a Ryzen 5 build for gaming and also for my job.

    I currently work from home and was looking into a good investment for a chair and desk that would last long and also for comfort. With all the reviews, I am not sure what to get.

    My job requires a lot of time to sit in front of a computer so If there would be a chance for an adjustable table that I can stand or have the sit go up would be great!

    submitted by /u/uscg02ws6
    [link] [comments]

    Tried installing a new HDD of 1TB by Seagate, but gives me "non existing" disk error when I try managing my disks

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 05:06 AM PST

    Troubleshooting Help:

    I have attempted installing a 1tb HDD on my computer. I already have a 500GB HDD and a 480GB SSD. However, whenever I get to manage the disks, the new one is listed as "Disk 0" and says its an "unknown driver" who is "not initialized". When I try to initialize it, I get a message saying "A non existing disk was specified". I have connected both the SATA cable and the other one that links to the motherboard.

    I switched the cables around with the other drives, and the other two work fine. This one I can't get to work though. It either gets unrecognizable or it gives me the "non existing" error. I also tried running diskpart, but it gave me an error too.

    I'm thinking maybe I connected something wrong? But I simply made the same thing that was going on for the other HDD, with the two cables connected.

    submitted by /u/CEOofBrazil
    [link] [comments]

    Wife gifted me my first custom built PC early December and we built it together, just upgraded the cooler two days ago

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 12:53 PM PST

    Ever since we moved to Canada I have only been able to game on my laptop which was way out of date (Samsung ATIV II 2012). She saved up some money and surprised late November by telling me to order my components and so we did just that. The hardware arrived in less than two weeks and we got to building. Three days ago she told me someone on Facebook was selling a CM EVO 212 RGB edition and so we bought. She installed as I told her to so she could learn more and now the PC is upgraded.

    List of components:

    • CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
    • GPU: MSI 1660 Gaming X
    • MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
    • RAM: 32 GB 3200Mhz G Skill (16x2)
    • PSU: Gigabyte P550B
    • Storage: 500 GB NVMe Black Edition, 1 TB HDD and a tiny 120 SSD
    • Case: Antec Dark League DF600 FLUX

    We hope to build another rig this summer (if prices are reasonable and there is stock) for me again so she can keep this one, we will probably only sell the CPU and GPU and buy her a 3060ti for this rig.

    I love this so much and I love her so much!

    Picture of the build with the new cooler!

    submitted by /u/TonyStarkTEx
    [link] [comments]

    What do you people think about this build?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:56 PM PST

    This build will be used for some moderate Minecraft gameplay and Youtube.

    The budget is £600. Any recommendations are welcome.

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KmzhTJ

    Edit: changed my PCPP link.

    submitted by /u/powerMastR24
    [link] [comments]

    A friend is looking to build a PC, his max budget is $2300

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:39 AM PST

    He doesn't trust Reddit so I'm trusting Reddit for him.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z4JtsX

    submitted by /u/Beggel12
    [link] [comments]

    Headphones VS Speakers?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:21 AM PST

    For gaming and media "consumption" I've always preferred nice quality speakers before headphones, since I started my computer "hobby" with producing music, it felt more natural to me. Is there any reason to go to headphones for things like gaming/ YouTube/ shoddy 3D modeling in blender?

    (Amps DACs and things like that out of the question just pure experience and preferences)

    submitted by /u/shamnite
    [link] [comments]

    Does the x470 MSI gaming plus support ryzen 5000 series with a bios update?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 12:34 PM PST

    Ive been looking around the internet and cant find a concrete answer.

    submitted by /u/Igotyournose1
    [link] [comments]

    Hey everyone, first time build! "PLEASE HELP!"

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 11:01 AM PST

    Hello! I'm 18, currently in a diploma for game design and I'm upgrading my set from my 1060 Ti. I put together a pretty pricey build that I'm planning on being one of the longest term investments in a pc I'll ever get. I was wondering if anyone could go through my parts and let me know what I should change or what can't go with what. I tried to do research but thought I'd ask here. I looked across videos and other peoples builds.

    I'm pretty sure it's overkill but it's meant to last me an incredibly long time.
    I'm also worried about a warning I'm getting off PCPartPicker giving me a:
    "Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

    My build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8ZDk7X

    submitted by /u/VitalityWolf5
    [link] [comments]

    How to download windows on a second ssd that I'm going to put in a old, storage-less laptop.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:04 PM PST

    I have an old school laptop from high school that they gave us, I took out the SSD and put it in my PC and wiped it clean. I thought it would be pretty simple to download an OS onto the SSD so that I can take it out of my PC. Should I just go the normal route and now that it's wiped clean I can just put it in the laptop and then plug in a flashdrive ready to boot windows? Is there a simpler way that doesn't involve a USB and I can download it directly onto the SSD without it messing with my PC?

    Sorry if this is confusing and thanks in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/Quelz_CSGO
    [link] [comments]

    I5 10600k rtx 2060s good combo?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 08:31 AM PST

    Would upgrading an old Dell OptiPlex with a GTX 1660 6GB be able to run games at ~100 FPS?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:25 PM PST

    I brought home a Dell OptiPlex 7020 to work from home, but now my company is upgrading systems, and I was allowed to keep it. Would it be worth it to upgrade the PSU and add a GTX 1660 into the system, or would the CPU bottleneck it too much?

    Specs of the OptiPlex:

    Dell OptiPlex 7020 (2015)

    Intel i7 4790

    2x 8GB RAM

    500GB SSD and 1TB HDD

    Intel Integrated Graphics

    290w PSU

    The new PSU

    The GTX 1660

    submitted by /u/Mickiipedia
    [link] [comments]

    Help Choosing new CPU (and possibly motherboard) to pair with a RX5700

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:23 PM PST

    So I recently got a RX 5700 xt and for the most part it has been working great, however I have still had issues with FPS drops in some games(mainly Assassins' Creed Odysseys and Horizon Zero Dawn) and have been considering upgrading my CPU. I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 1600(OC'd to 3.7Ghz) and a ASROCK B450 Pro4.

    Would you all recommend a new CPU or a new CPU and motherboard(and if so which), or is there something else that I didn't think about?

    Soft budget of around 300 dollars.

    submitted by /u/KyleDCrocodile
    [link] [comments]

    How are the GPU breadlines going?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:36 AM PST

    My RX580 is becoming a bit stale, and could use a freshly baked 6800xt. But rations look meagre, and the winter cold bites. Is it worth queueing now, or perhaps wiser to hunker down on my low fps crumbs for a bit longer, and hope that Spring and Summer brings a bountiful harvest?

    submitted by /u/StandDownStandBy
    [link] [comments]

    I need some expert advice

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:20 PM PST

    I plan on using a Ryzen 5 3600 on a ASRock B550M pro4 mobo with the ripjaws 16 GB and my question is which GPU would y'all recommend that I use for that set up for gaming/work. What do the experts have to say?

    submitted by /u/MannnU93
    [link] [comments]

    What recommendations do you have for gpu’s in Europe under €250?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:34 AM PST

    Looking to get into pc gaming

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 12:33 PM PST

    Hi guys I'm looking to get into pc gaming I've been doing research trying to learn the parts and what's good but still struggling I have managed to save a budget of nearly a £1000 for a pc any recommendations or useful information to keep in mind for parts brands etc any help is welcome thankyou :)

    submitted by /u/Professional-Safe-11
    [link] [comments]

    RAM (g skill trident z 16gb 3200 cl14) limited by Mobo Asus rog strix B460 f gaming

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:06 PM PST

    Hey there, its my first pc setup and I having issues with my RAM. Its running at 2666MHz. Is there something I can do to get up to the 3200? Thanks for any help!

    Full specs: Asus rog strix B460 f gaming i5 10600 kf Asus dual geforce rtx 3070 oc G skill trident z 16gb 3200 cl14

    submitted by /u/Def_Q_on1
    [link] [comments]

    i need help updating this wallmart set up!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:03 PM PST

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/CLX-SET-Gaming-PC-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X-3-8GHz-6-Core-16GB-DDR4-2666-Radeon-RX-5600-XT-8GB-480GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-WiFi-Black-Mini-Tower-RGB-Windows-10-Home/665875064

    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz (6 Cores)
    • Chipset:AMD A320 Chipset
    • Memory: 16GB DDR4 - 2 x 8GB DDR4 (32GB Max)
    • Hard Drives: 480GB SSD & 2TB HDD
    • Video Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 8GB
    • Power Supply: 550 Watt 80Plus Bronze Power Supply
    • Network Connectivity: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Port, 802.11ac WiFi
    • Chassis Fans: (3) 120mm Fans with RGB lights
    • Keyboard and Mouse: Gaming Keyboard and Mouse
    • Ports: (4) USB 3.2, (1) USB 3.0, (4) USB 2.0
    • Video Connectivity:(3) DisplayPort, (1) HDMI

    i need this set up to start ,since i already it bought.

    submitted by /u/bacon4000
    [link] [comments]

    Come laugh at me

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 03:43 AM PST

    So i was getting really bad temps for my 5800x so i bought a new cooler the h115i. Ive never installed one so i had a shop do it for me. Its mounted fine and looks good but the temps are the same do i need to change the profile in ICUE or not?? When i asked what he tested temps in he said he streamed some videos?????????????? then i look in my search history and he was watching Coldplay music videos on repeat???????? am i being trolled.

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    If anyone knows anything about icue and fan speeds please help me my days been bad enough

    https://imgur.com/a/y3HiiGK

    submitted by /u/Tyrone_Malone
    [link] [comments]

    Display port cables

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:58 PM PST

    Sorry if this isn't allowed on the sub:

    I was about to buy something from Amazon but was just short to qualify for free shipping. So I decided to get a longer display port cable as the one that came with my monitor is too short and is always pulling up on the port.

    When I looked at them I saw that they all had different rated refresh rates/speeds. Is this another one of those marketing ploys or does it actually matter what quality cable you get? I've just been using the one that came with my monitor.

    submitted by /u/sirkyleII
    [link] [comments]

    Gtx 1660 super upgrade

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:57 PM PST

    I currently have a older msi z170i pro ac mb Core I-7 6700 16gb ram Gtx 970.

    I have an opportunity to buy an Asus gtx 1660 super 6gb.

    My current psu has a split 6pin connectors. So (2) Atx 6 pin connectors......the 1660 has an 8 pin connector, can I use this gpu with my dual 6 pin or do I need a PSU upgrade first?

    submitted by /u/fallout76legendary
    [link] [comments]

    Building a pc for my son: i have selected some components for my son’s new pc build and i would like some suggestions to make it better in any way. All suggestions are very welcome, as this is my first pc build. Budget is roughly 1700 dollars

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:52 AM PST

    the components i have selected: GPU: Msi suprim 3070 CPU: intel i9 10850k CPU cooler: cooler master hyper 212 black edition Motherboard: ASUS tuf gaming b460 pro wifi RAM: Corsair 16gb ddr4 3600 cl18 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow PSU: Corsair TX750M SSD: Crucial p1 1tb nvme

    Monitor he has: 144hz 1440p

    submitted by /u/Jorisvideler
    [link] [comments]

    Switching motherboard and cpu, what to do?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:52 AM PST

    So i'm switching from a i5-9600k to a i7-9700k, and from a MSI z390 a pro, to a Asus TUF z390-plus gaming (wifi). And i was wondering if i have to change something in the software or anything alike?

    submitted by /u/FBIsecretservice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment