• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 30, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 30, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 30, 2020


    Simple Questions - December 30, 2020

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 04:07 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Your PC may be crashing and it's may not be your hardware. It may be "Gameinput Redistributable". Here is how to check!

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:13 AM PST

    So recently I've been encountering some blue screens and I was going crazy. It happens at the most random times, and ONLY happens when gaming. I was playing Warzone and noticed my PC BSOD'd, so I was kinda worried something had gone wrong. Recently added a SSD to my system and changed my fans out. Honestly, didn't think it was either of those but maybe something was loose? I ran Furmark and CPU-Z over and over. Never went above 60c on the cpu or 70c on the gpu.

    Here is the meat and potatoes.

    I swore it was my PC. I set my ram to default 2133mhz and I reseated my CPU, even checked out my 3080. Nothing was wrong.

    I went to the "Reliability Monitor" on Windows and saw this.

    https://i.imgur.com/hD0gFgW.png

    In the report, an application was reconfigured, and if you look, Gameinput Redistributable was reconfigured at the same time. Time to try to recreate the scenario. It crashes again and takes me here.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/windows/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors-5c62726c-6489-52da-a372-3f73142c14ad?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

    Gives me little to no info other than 7 errors that can be anything. But the fact that the Gameinput Redistributable was reconfigured the same time my PC crashed is a little sus. I looked into it.

    "GameInput Redistributable is a Shareware software in the category Desktop developed by Microsoft Corporation."

    Weird, I uninstalled it https://i.imgur.com/QSRuOTX.png

    Ran Warzone and played for about 2-3 hours and no crashes. Amazing! Guess what? My GF and neighbor both were having this problem, and this fix worked great.

    However, today I hopped on, and guess what? I crashed again. I was like oh man it really is my PC. Nope. Checked again, it was the Gameinput Redistrubable. It for some reason was reinstalled onto my PC. What? What is MS doing?

    I can't find any more info on what this actually does and why it's in my PC to begin with. I at first assumed it was some sort of emulation for controllers, or for Xbox related games. However, with the application uninstalled, my Xbox Series X controller still works, as well as my keyboard and the 3 Xbox games I tried, State of Decay 2, MS Flight Simulator, and Halo. Literally nothing happened.

    I was also not updated completely, but regardless the error still occurs. I literally cannot restart my PC without Gameinput Redistributable being reinstalled on my PC. So, for now everytime I log on I have to uninstall it to play games on my PC, it's honestly a hassle and I'm still confused on how it installs to begin with. Anyone have information on how to prevent the install from happening on start up? I can't find any specific file in my system for this to happen so I assume it is preloaded in the OS itself…

    MS really needs to fix this. At least allow me to prevent the installation.

    Tl;dr check your Reliability Monitor app to see why you're crashing. It may not even be your PC. I'm just trying to play games :/

    Edit: ALSO again this is a post to check out reliability monitor, it can help you. Also check your logs.

    submitted by /u/Launchers
    [link] [comments]

    Need Pc for school, no ideas where to start.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:48 AM PST

    I'm starting online class on Tuesday. I had an old iMac I've been using but it took a shit today. I have 600 dollars to spend. I already have a keyboard and mouse. Can't really wait on shipping is there anywhere where I can go buy parts? First time ever guiding a Pc

    submitted by /u/soultraingulation
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad if my cat likes laying on top of my pc with a top mounted cpu aio

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Title.

    I'm in the habbit of pushing him off. But I know he will never listen and just likes the heat. And he is fairly cute up there. And I know worse case hair gets trapped in there and the pc would just shut off if it overheats.

    submitted by /u/critter1227
    [link] [comments]

    I messed up flashing the bios... argh!

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:36 AM PST

    SOMEWHAT URGENT!

    Hello, I have an MSI MEG UNIFY X570 and a Ryzen 5600x

    I need to flash the BIOS get the CPU to be compatible. I started the BIOS flash procedure, the light was blinking, everything was fine. But I had forgot to remove the little sticker over the motherboard fan, and about a minute in, I realised I hadnt, and I removed it, but the light had stopped blinking. The fan is now whirring very quickly.

    Have I bricked my mobo? I have not turned anything off yet, please does anyone know what I can do?

    I have left everything turned on still.

    EDIT: GOOD NEWS!!! I got it to post. Here's what worked for me. I used the 2nd most recent version of the BIOS available on MSI's website, NOT the most recent (at the time of writing, this is version 7C35vA5. I followed these instructions: https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/k21wg6/new_builders_take_your_time_to_really_decide_on/gdsgdlv/ which mention mbr and partitioning and things which MSI don't tell you to do. I also had to try three seperate usb sticks before it worked.

    Thank you everyone for your help, time to put the pc in the case now!

    submitted by /u/BigWaltie
    [link] [comments]

    New gaming CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 or i5-10600K? Keeping Gtx 1080 or not?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 11:27 AM PST

    I want to upgrade my CPU (i5-7600k) as it is on 100% usage in some newer games. Along with that the games sometimes stutter, or the whole system seems to kinda die when I game and have discord, spotify and some other stuff open parallely. My GPU is a Gtx 1080 oc that I hope to keep for a while longer. After some research I found that the Ryzen 5 3600 seems to be THE choice for a decent CPU with great value, but I also read that the i5-10600k has some advantages at a similar price point. So my question is wich of them you guys would suggest, or which other one you think could be better? Also do you think keeping the 1080 is a possibility or would it bottleneck a new CPU too hard? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/user1324354657
    [link] [comments]

    Will not power off, requires cmos clear to boot again.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 12:01 PM PST

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes.

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Gaming, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Warzone, League of Legends

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    I have a 1080p 165hz monitor.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    N/A

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    N/A

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    N/A

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    Hey folks, coming back to this sub after about 5 years. I have an ASUS M32CD Link to drivers

    i5 6400, ASUS h110 proprietary motherboard. 650W Antec power supply.

    I upgraded it for my brother with a Samsung 860 evo 500GB SATA SSD. Weird thing is that the USB ports stopped working after the Windows install. The 2 USB 3.1 ports work but nothing else does. The mother hoard does not power off after windows shut down. And the pc does not boot up after I hold the power button. It only boots after a CMOS clear.

    It was a clean installation of windows.

    My main issue: I could live with a dongle maybe, but why doesn't my motherboard power off and why does it require cmos clear to boot again?

    I have tried:

    1. booting back with the HDD (untouched since SSD install):

    2. clearing CMOS via the clearing pins with the included jumper

    3. turning off PSU, pulling out power cable, removing CMOS battery, putting the jumper on the clearing pins, and letting it sit for 5 minutes (tried this 3 times now)

    - when I do this, it does not boot right away, It boot loops once, then the motherboard turns on but it does not boot. If I hold the power button down to turn it off, it will then turn on, showing bios setup request. 
    1. Flashing latest bios as well as older bios

    2. I'll do a another clean install of windows if you really think I should, but the fact that it doesn't work with HDD makes me highly doubt that.

    3. how could this be a PSU issue? I could try to PSU that came with it.

    It will not power off after shutting down windows, motherboard stays on. When changing bios settings, and I exit with saved changes, it freezes and does not do the reset necessary to boot to windows. Same with when flashing bios, it freezes after finishing the flash and does not progress, requires me to hold the power button to turn off (but if I go back into bios, it shows that the bios was changed)

    Please help. I happen to have a Prime h270 plus sitting around, really don't want to have to get a new case and build in there.

    Thanks in advance!

    also, i did repeat all of the above trouble shooting with the GPU (Gigabyte 1070ti) removed

    submitted by /u/singh44
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my first PC build. It's nothing crazy, but I'm proud of it.

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 05:41 PM PST

    The last of the parts for my new computer came yesterday and now everything's finally here and running. I've been upgrading and tinkering with an Optiplex 790 for the past few years and it's served me well, but I wanted to make the jump to 144fps and needed a new computer that could keep up. Additionally, I've been wanting to build a fully custom PC for a while now. After lurking on this subreddit for the past couple months or so and getting some troubleshooting help when I needed it (thank you guys again for that,) I'm proud of what I've made so I wanted to share it.

    Pics: https://imgur.com/a/lprsIY6

    Parts list:

    • CPU: Ryzen 3 3300X
    • Motherboard: MSI B550M Mortar
    • RAM: 2x8 GB T-Force Dark Z 3600 MHz
    • CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-224-XT
    • GPU: MSI Ventus GTX 1660 Super
    • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB (main drive), Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD (Storage), Crucial MX500 250 GB (backup)
    • Case: Cooler Master NR400
    • PSU: EVGA GS 650W
    • Fans: 2x Noctua P14s Redux-900 140mm, 1x preinstalled Cooler Master 120mm exhaust fan
    • Misc: Noctua NA-SAV2 Silicone fan mounts, 4-port USB 3 PCIE card, 2x RGB LED strips

    Any questions / comments / advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/_Froyo
    [link] [comments]

    Are gaming PC parts more expensive in 2020-2021 because of COVID-19?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:27 PM PST

    So I've recently started to gain interest in building my own gaming computer. First off, it's super expensive and it feels like I need to give up an arm or a leg to get some decent performance. However, as I'm doing more research I keep on reading about how parts are very expensive right now. I can speculate this might've been because of the holidays and the amount of demand rn, but could COVID-19 be a factor too? If you think about it, more people are at home and wanting to game and sellers might be upping their prices as a response. Where I'm going with this, is that: should I wait till COVID-19 is done to start seriously buying pc parts? As there might be less demand. Or can I consider buying parts around March of 2021?

    submitted by /u/Iceboy618
    [link] [comments]

    Gpu not working

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:17 PM PST

    I just got the 3070 for my first ever build and I put everything and connected everything besides the case and the motherboard turned on and I noticed my graphics card not turning on so I tried countless times with different wires and I install the gpu and it doesn't turn on. So when I plug in the monitor nothing happens. Any ideas please help.

    submitted by /u/the_loganreed
    [link] [comments]

    Finished PC but cannot get it to power on for whatever reason.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 09:04 AM PST

    Hey, I recently finished a build (to the extent of my knowledge) I plugged in the power supply, turned it on, hit the power button on the case, and nothing happened. I tried to fix the issue to the best of my knowledge and nothing I have done so far has worked. I have a few theories on why this is happening and i'm wondering if any of them are true.

    There is nothing on the installed ssd, I installed the memory wrong, My power supply doesn't work, I don't have everything plugged in correctly.

    Also attached are the part list and picture of the build. (Yes i know the cable management is bad, I will work on it once I know this thing can turn on.)

    Images

    submitted by /u/Tooooooooooon
    [link] [comments]

    CPU then VGA led mobo error

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:13 AM PST

    When I power on my new build, first the CPU led error light comes on, followed then by the VGA one. None of my fans spin but my RGB ram lights up.

    I have tried taking out the GPU(which I know works since its from my old build), taking out the m.2, and unplugging all PCI e cables from the power supply.

    I have tried removing the fan from the CPU incase it was too tight, still getting the same error.

    Really not sure what else to troubleshoot here so any help would be appreciated.

    Build is: B550M WiFi 2060 super 3600xt Thermaltake Toughpower 850w

    submitted by /u/mark_h69
    [link] [comments]

    HELP NEEDED: New PC - All games are crashing

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:03 AM PST

    I recently was able to build my second pc with the following specs:

    CPU: I7-10700k Motherboard: Asus Strix z490-a GPU: EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Memory: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 4x16gb at 3200 MHz - white Cooler: Lian Li 360 Galahad - white Fans: 9x Lian Li Uni Fans - white PSU: Asus Strix 850w - white Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL - white Using two strimmer plus cables for both the mobo (24pin) and GPU (triple 8-pin)

    Upon building, the UEFI BIOS, I had to manually disable the CPU fan and increase my VRAM to 3200mhz from 2133mhz.

    Summary: 1. Installed Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit. 2. Updated drivers and Windows. 3. Ran benchmark, result said missing GPU. I decided to skip this as I thought everything was working as I saw display and all. 4. Downloaded Call Of Duty and after playing for 10-15 minutes my game crashed with Dev Error 6068 twice. 5. Updated the bios to the latest version, manually disabled the CPU fan and increase the VRAM speed again. It was reset by the update. 6. Ran Call of Duty and it crashed again with same error. 7. Downloaded Destiny 2 and after playing for about 10-15 minutes my game crashed with error: Broccoli - GPU runtime error. 8. Ran another userbenchmark and still get missing GPU.

    Troubleshoot: 1. Ran my GPU with my previous build, worked fine and did not crash. 2. Updated BIOS 3. Reinstalled COD 4. Lower VRAM speeds to 2133 MHz. 5. Turned XMP on 6. Reinstalled drivers for GPU 7. Tried my 1080ti without strimmer plus cable in the new build, still getting same error 8. Swapped out my memory for ones in my older pc

    EVGA Precision X1 - haven't overclocked or underclocked Memory - 0 (405 MHz) GPU: Clock 0 - when not playing, ranges from 210-400 MHz Voltage 0 - when not playing 738 mv GPU temperature - 31 C

    Any help would be gladly appreciated as the disappointment felt after a new build is always the worst.

    Thank you for the upvote!

    submitted by /u/jyancor01
    [link] [comments]

    3700x or 5600x for mainly gaming with very mild streaming?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 12:39 PM PST

    I have a 5600x in my list right now, since the performance is so much better for gaming, but I wasn't sure how it would fare for doing things like, for example, playing cities skylines while watching a YouTube video on a second monitor. Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/implodinggravaton456
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 instal, does the heatsink come with thermal paste already applied?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 11:01 AM PST

    hello, i'm doing a much needed upgrade on my PC, im installing a new motherboard and processor, but i wanted to make sure that i do this right so i don't melt my PC. i've got my new motherboard in and im ready to put in the processor, but im not sure if there is thermal paste already applied to the heat sink, it looks like it since there is a gray square with uneven lies already on the heat sink over where the processor will be. Does anyone know if this is indeed thermal paste applied by the manufacturer? i just want to be certain before i move forward. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/RickMcDic
    [link] [comments]

    hey guys is it posible for someone to look over this parts list for compatibility issues.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:47 AM PST

    is a 500w power supply enough for a ryzen 5 3600 and an rx 5600 xt?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:38 AM PST

    I already ordered the power supply and now I'm questioning whether it's enough...

    submitted by /u/steve-0-tron
    [link] [comments]

    when are GPU prices expected to settle down?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:35 AM PST

    specifically the rx 5600 xt, that's the one I'm hoping to get my hands on. I don't think it will take as long as the RTX 30 series but it sure isn't showing signs of calming down.

    submitted by /u/steve-0-tron
    [link] [comments]

    I'm storing all my expensive PC parts in their original packaging, in a suitcase, waiting in a basement here in Canada. Am I doing it wrong?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 07:33 AM PST

    I foolishly cancelled my Lian Li Mini preorder in the US while I was there, thinking it was easier to get it when it releases in Canada, which isn't happening before February. Now all my ready PC parts are sitting together in their original suitcase left in the basement. I live in Canada, it's quite cold down there in the basement. Am I doing it right? Can my parts damage? Should I bring the suitcase up into the ~20c studio I live in?

    submitted by /u/TareXmd
    [link] [comments]

    MSI X570 Tomahawk vs Asus TUF X570-Pro

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:12 AM PST

    Both are the same price and have similar features.

    Which one would you recommend and why?

    submitted by /u/r3lic86
    [link] [comments]

    Daisy-chaining fan splitters on ASUS x570-i MoBo?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 11:53 AM PST

    I have six fans I would like to use in my case, but this tiny motherboard only has two fan headers. I can't find the spec of the headers, so I have no way of knowing if they can handle the power draw.

    I plan on putting two stock Corsair 12v case fans and four 140mm 12v Corsair LL140 RGB fans.

    Does anyone know if the headers can handle the power draw if I have to use two splitters on each?

    submitted by /u/mannpalmer
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody have any experience with the Aerocool Mirage 5?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:09 AM PST

    I just saw it today and fell in love, ordered it right away. It's like a Kraken without the annoying AIO part attached :) I'm 100% for air cooling.

    I've got a SL600M case with plenty of air circulation so I have high hopes that this cooler will perform just as well as my current air cooler (a Gelid Phantom Black with Bionix fans) on a Ryzen 5 3600. I know it's a longshot, but does anybody actually own this cooler? I'm more interested in noise than cooling capability, because no youtube video or review talks about the loudness of this thing. dbA readings from the manufacturer are useless, as always.

    Thank you for any useful input.

    submitted by /u/alterexego
    [link] [comments]

    SSD vs HDD issue

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:51 PM PST

    I'm not sure this is the right subreddit to ask in, but here goes. Can there be some hardware related issue that causes one of my games to run more stuttery on my SSD compared to my HDD? Cause I'd like the reduced load times but in some areas the stuttering is horrible, whereas for some reason it runs buttery smooth on the HDD.

    I just thought that was very weird but I wasn't sure where to ask what the problem might be...

    submitted by /u/Foxtrot94
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on this build for 1440 gaming?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:47 PM PST

    First PC Build: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow build. ANY guidance?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:43 PM PST

    Starting my first pc build. Parts soo far:

    1. Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (obvi)
    2. Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
    3. CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    4. CPU Rad: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler
    5. GPU: Nvidia GEFORCE 2060 RTX
    6. RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200MHz

    I haven't opened any of the new parts, as my current PC is still viable. Just wanted to see if this build is even possible so I can replace/return parts if they don't work instead of just tearing into them and piecing together.

    My main question is has anybody attempted the same/similar build and run into issues with room? I have heard because of the increased size of the heat sink on the motherboard and RGB RAM being generally bigger, there has been talk of the CPU cooler not being able to be mounted on the top of the case.

    Alternatively, the CPU cooler has had to be mounted on the front of the front of the case, where 3 stock fans are already in place. Is it possible to remove/replace fans from the front to the top and install CPU cooler in the front?

    Any info, help, critiques, criticisms and well wishes are welcome. Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/BeaverPolite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment