• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 29, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 29, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 29, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 29, 2020

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Funniest Shit I read today

    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    I'm hunting for good deals on GPUs to build my new system and everything is so fucking expensive that I am super frustrated and reading something like this makes me LOL.

    link

    ps. the GPU is - Zotac 2060 twin - https://www.amazon.in/GeForce-192-bit-Graphics-IceStorm-ZT-T20600F-10M/dp/B07MBKKQPW

    submitted by /u/whos_ur_baby
    [link] [comments]

    Another dumb GPU question

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    So where i live, a 3070 is around $710, and i can get a new 2070 super for $520. I currently don't have a functioning system, and it is quite frustrating (i use it for school and work aswell). The only demanding game i'm looking at for the next few months is Cyberpunk, but i don't need to max out rtx etc. I do have a 144hz 1440p monitor, and i realize that the 3070 is much better, but waiting potentially two months is an issue for me. I tried ordering the 3080, and it's set for delivery in november (if that is actually true).

    If i can run Cyberpunk at high settings 1440p without rtx i'd be fine. I'd like to wait for the others, but i can't really figure out if the wait is really worth it. Especially considering the annoyances of doing all productivity on my laptop, which is non-optimal.

    Someone just make a decision for me please.

    submitted by /u/emptycarecup12
    [link] [comments]

    First build / Covid project complete! Meet Voorhees (3080 frame slasher)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    Firstly, thank you so much to this awesome & supportive community! This is my very first build. I've been wanting a gaming PC for years and finally decided Covid was the right time to go for it. Got a little creative with some spray paint, vertical GPU orientation, and a 5" stat screen.

    For the record, I did not use a bot or buy from a scalper for the 3080. Just got really lucky on Wed. the 23rd.

    And of course, lots of RGB for extra frames!

    Pics:

    https://imgur.com/a/2taNAmY

    Components:

    • Case: Thermaltake Core V21
    • GPU: Nvidia 3080 FE
    • CPU: i5 10600k @ 5ghz all-core ~1.28v
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 3200 CL16
    • Storage: Western Digital SN750 1tb NVME
    • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
    • Mobo: MSI z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
    • Cooler: Noctua NH-u12s (with extra fan for push/pull)
    • Fans: (I might have an addiction)
      • Intake: ThermalTake Trio RGB 200mm / 2x Noctua A8 / 1x ThermalTake Riing Plus 120mm / 1x Noctua NF-A12
      • Exhaust: 1x Noctua A14 / 2x ThermalTake Riing Plus 120mm
    • Other: Elecrow 5" raspberry pi monitor / CableMod kit / 3x Phanteks Neon strips / 3x Phanteks Halos / 2x Coolermaster 90º angle 24pin adapters

    Thermals:

    • CPU
      • Idle: 30ºc
      • Gaming: 50ºc
      • Full load: 70ºc
    • GPU
      • Idle: 30ºc
      • Full load: 65ºc

    Performance:

    submitted by /u/icd2k3
    [link] [comments]

    A screw broke off into my motherboard, preventing me from securing my m.2 ssd drive. Is there any other way to secure the ssd?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    I recently embarrassingly got a screw snapped off into my motherboard while trying to install an m.2 ssd drive. Now that the screw is stuck in the motherboard I can't screw down the ssd onto the motherboard. Is there anyway I would be able to secure the ssd cause I really don't want my only other alternative to be "replace the motherboard". Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/kjdiaz
    [link] [comments]

    APC vs. CyberPower UPS review war on Amazon?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I need a UPS for my new build, and looking at Amazon's options it seems like there's pretty much these two brands to choose from. Nearly all the units they have are rated between 4-4.5 stars. However, the top reviews for the top sellers seem to mostly be 1 star reviews with horror stories about "burning smoke" and "failed during first power outage". https://imgur.com/a/6zC0NRQ

    Looking elsewhere, searches haven't revealed any other similar complaints from review sites and relevant forums. Comparisons like this one would surely mention potential issues with "smoke" and out-of-the-box unit failures if they were that common, wouldn't they? https://vsearch.com/apc-vs-cyberpower/

    I'm definitely getting the feeling this is an Amazon review war going on between the two companies, where they buy each other's units to insure the "verified purchase" tag, then proceed to make stuff up about the units failing in every way possible.

    Obviously this kind of thing isn't uncommon on Amazon, but I don't remember seeing anything as extreme as this, with a category dominated by two apparently warring companies upping the ante on the severity of their claims. I just don't see how these two companies could stay in business if their units were that prone to complete failure, let alone dominate the market.

    Can anyone confirm that any of these horror stories have turned out to be real concerns? Or conversely that this is a known/strongly suspected review battle between APC and CyberPower?

    submitted by /u/GeneSequence
    [link] [comments]

    Almost finished, only waiting for my RTX 3080

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    Nearly finished my build, I'm just awaiting my RTX 3080 shipment.
    Once the new Zen 3 will be released I'm gonna grab one and replace it,
    but for now my sweet 2700x will do it's job.

    Components:

    • Motherboard: X570 Tomahawk Wifi
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x // Currently running with PBO on at -0.75mv.
    • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 3600Mhz CL16-19-19-39 (Samsung D-Die)
      // Had to adjust the Timings and Clock speed manually, the Ryzen 7 2700x can't reliably handle 3600Mhz kits. Officially supported speeds are 2933, most of the time 3200Mhz run stable. I'm currently running them at 3333Mhz 1:1 ratio CL15-16-16-16-32 with massively tweaked subtimings 100% stable.
    • GPU: Currently still running my good ol' GTX 980 TI with an Accelero Extreme IV custom cooler.
    • Cooling: NZXT Kraken x63 with 3 Arctic F12 120mm coolers within the case.
    • Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic black
    • RGB: Coolermaster Universal RGB Strip
    • Soundcard: Soundblaster Z Creative
    • Storage: EX950 1TB NVMe SSD, 256GB Samsung 2,5" SSD, 1TB old HDD drive from back in the days
    • Power supply: 750W BeQuiet! Straight Power 11
    • Thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

    Link to build (sorry for reflections on glass and not the highest of quality):
    https://imgur.com/a/a1iIW7Q

    Temperatures:

    • CPU: Idle between 34°C - 44°C
      100% Blender/Prime95 load: 71°C after 20~ minutes.
    • GPU: Idle around 32°C
      100% Furmark usage: 64°C after 15~ minutes.

    Pretty excited for the last and really most important parts to fulfill my dream PC for now.
    I do enjoy this and other subreddits alot.
    Feedback always is nice, the world seems a better place here on reddit.
    Wish you the best <3

    submitted by /u/thehybris95
    [link] [comments]

    Are pc prices up?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    Can someone explain me what is going on. I wanted to build a pc but pc prices seems to be up. I'm referring to the European market I saw component like an rx580 go to € 182 I know this isn't the American market but this seems high. What is the best course of action for someone who wants to build a pc. What components are the most affected by the situation we have ourselves in?

    submitted by /u/Communist-brat97
    [link] [comments]

    What's going on with the lian li lancool 2 price?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    The lancool 2 is pretty famous having been reviewed as the best performance/price case since they released their mesh version. However, in the past few days, I've noticed the newegg and amazon price for this case has skyrocketed to 170-200 dollars compared to the price at my local microcenter which is 100. Is this specific case really being price-fixed?

    submitted by /u/Saving4Merlin
    [link] [comments]

    Will this work

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:28 AM PDT

    Will this work parts list Ive heard that this minister won't work with my pc if that's true do you mind recommending any around the same price? And also tell me what other things I should change?

    submitted by /u/Llama_dude56
    [link] [comments]

    Moving from console to pcs does this list make sense?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vyJtx6)

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor $379.88 @ Newegg
    CPU Cooler Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $119.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $199.99 @ Best Buy
    Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory $219.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $89.00 @ Amazon
    Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Newegg
    Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card $519.99 @ Walmart
    Case Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 @ Amazon
    Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $144.98 @ Newegg
    Monitor LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor -
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1868.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-29 06:27 EDT-0400

    I'm planning on playing 1440p at 60fps is this rig strong enough (i don't know much about computers or anything computer related)

    Please read this before commenting

    My final rig :Ryzen 7 3700x since it's cores are good for my animating and video editing also heard that 32gb ram is the minimum for Animating and video editing also i will stick with a 2070 super since for some reasons all the 2070's are more expensive than the 2070 super Also removed the hdd for an ssd i changed it up based on comments

    submitted by /u/XD_Ghost420
    [link] [comments]

    Intel Optane and NVME

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    I'm getting an MSI Z490 Tomahawk Motherboard to pair with a 10700k and it has two M.2 slots. I'm for sure adding a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus for my OS and certain games. However I've been looking at getting an Intel Optane 16GB for the second M.2 slot to aid with MySQL query speed and overall system performance.

    Are there any restrictions when it comes to putting two different kinds of memory in my M.2 slots like you would run into if you say put different kinds of RAM in your RAM slots?

    submitted by /u/JollyJustice
    [link] [comments]

    Dual Monitor Different Resolutions

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I recently bought the Acer XG270HU seeing as its g-sync compatible now. Only problem, I've got two 1080p monitors right now.

    The new monitor I got is 1440p, 144Hz. My old ones are both 1080p, 60Hz.

    Can I still run dual monitors? I'd use my BenQ Zowie as my second monitor, but it's pretty old now. Not sure if it's possible, safe, etc.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/matty_m012
    [link] [comments]

    Getting only 2 out of 4TB on HHD?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    As the title suggests, I built a PC back in May and bought a 4TB HHD but just realized I've only got 2TB available. I did some digging and saw one of the only ways for me to reformat would be to convert to GPT, but in order to do that I would need to wipe my hard drive? I've got almost a TB of data on there and don't really want to delete it to access the rest of my hard drive.. Would it be better to just get like an extra TB or two and transfer it over and then wipe it, or is there another way around it without having to spend the extra money or delete everything?

    Hopefully someone can help me out, and sorry if this is the wrong place for it I just figured it would be a good place to start.

    submitted by /u/ScottamusPR1M3
    [link] [comments]

    2x16 (32)GB RAM request for Ryzen 4000 and current build?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    request 2x16 GB totalling 32 GB ram that will swap to a new build

    I currently have the H170N-WIFI motherboard and plan to in the near future upgrade to the newest upcoming Ryzen 4000 cpus. The ram I can use now, though, and would like to get this asap. What should I look for? Does the clock speed, latency really effect performance much? This is for multitasking office work and specific programs, not gaming.

    submitted by /u/flipfolio
    [link] [comments]

    How do you use an AIO cooler with the Phantek Eclipse P400A (RGB Digital) case?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:01 AM PDT

    So, I have a question. This case has 3 RGB intake fans on the front, and it doesn't support top mounting a radiator. So, how are you supposed to place the radiator for an AIO? Can I place it while keeping the front fans? Do I move the front fans to the top? (but that would destroy the look of the case with the front RGB fans...)

    How would you do this? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Reonu_
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 7 2700x or Ryzen 5 3600...

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    It s the same price.. i can t decide because i want it for gaming.....

    submitted by /u/GeoTheBest3313
    [link] [comments]

    First Build Complete!

    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    Just finished my first ever PC build. I was a life long Mac user until recently when work required a switch to PC for security and power reasons. Since I was switching anyway and already had a MacBook I could run as a Windows laptop I decided to build desktop PC for a combo of productivity, light gaming (Civ VI, Anno, and Rocket League), and VR on a Reverb G2. I definitely could not have done this without the knowledge and guidance of this community. I cant thank you all enough. Enough chit-chat, here are the specs and pics of my pc and desk setup.

    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x with stock cooler for now.

    MOBO: ASRock X570M Pro4 mATX

    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB at 3200

    Storage: 250GB ADATA Swordfish M.2 Boot Drive

    500GB ADATA Swordfish M.2 Steam Drive

    2x 2TB WD Blue SSD in Raid 0 for work

    GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 3

    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

    PSU: beQuite! Straight Power 750w 80+ Gold

    Fans: Bitspower Noaqua RGB

    Other: Phantec neon rgb strip

    Custom GPU bracket with "Went Fast Didn't Die" moto patch

    Black Power Ranger to keep me company

    Peripherals: Westinghouse 1440 144hz 32" monitor

    Viewsonic 27" monitor (free from work)

    Logitech G915TKL keyboard

    Logitech MX Vertical mouse

    LegalBoards macro pad

    AKG K240 studio monitor headphones with ModMic

    Xbox controller

    https://i.imgur.com/1tnHLWw.jpg

    https://imgur.com/NLZOsZs

    https://imgur.com/ASIisRO

    https://imgur.com/phlKhB6

    https://imgur.com/QgT15QC

    https://imgur.com/v4G1I94

    https://imgur.com/cvQ43cL

    submitted by /u/husqofaman
    [link] [comments]

    Which brand version should I buy of the RTX 3080?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    I really want to buy an RTX 3080, I just can't decide from which brand, like Gigabyte, Evga, MSI, Asus, etc. I heard today that some of them has stuttering/lagging problems because of the badly designed structure or something like that, while some have better fans than others. Can someone help me out please? :) Also sorry for my bad english

    submitted by /u/BlaydeWing
    [link] [comments]

    Should I upgrade anything else when buying a new GPU for 5 year old PC?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    So, I bought an Alienware PC a few years ago with a GTX980 in it, back when that was still hot shit. I'm now looking at the new RTX3000 cards and they look incredible.

    Here's my question. If I want to upgrade to an RTX 3080, do I have to upgrade any other parts in case they are outdated?

    submitted by /u/DirtySimon
    [link] [comments]

    370 dollar gaming pc build send help

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    Hello fellow redditors this is my first post on reddit and i want some advice what gaming computer should I buy or build with a budget of 370 dollars I am located in the middle of nowhere.

    Should I just save up and how thanks in advance in someone helps me

    submitted by /u/Rikkawholesome
    [link] [comments]

    What do i need to set up windows 10 on my pc and whats the cheapest way to get windows 10?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    I'm planning on building a PC and was wondering what I'll need to install Windows 10 (such as a usb drive) and where can I get windows 10 at an affordable price?

    submitted by /u/Lobstersdamnit_2
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 3 3300x with gtx 1660 super or ryzen 5 3600 with gtx 1650 super? Or what cpu would you choose between the 2 not minding the gpu

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    Are these jaggies (texture shimmering) and FPS drops normal?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    I don't know if I should return my parts.

    Video: https://youtu.be/_vLK-P6X4KY

    Specs: Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1660 Super, 16 gb 2666 MHz ram, 480 gb ssd

    submitted by /u/TheAbcool
    [link] [comments]

    Computer won't boot unless fan hub and AIO cooler are disconnected

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    So, I am putting together a Ryzen 3800x + 1080Ti build right now. I put it all together in my Meshify c Case, and it won't boot. I'm using a $10 generic Amazon fan hub that needs power via power supply by molex, and the Kraken X62 water cooler. When I unplug the power from both of those, it starts up. When one of them is plugged in, I get a flash but then nothing. When they're both plugged in, I don't get anything. It's very strange! I also don't even have my GPU yet since it's coming later this week and I planned on just plugging it in and connecting, then good to go. I'm using a Corsair CX750M power supply, and I just got a 10' 18 gauge PC cord just to see if it'll help, it doesn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/jamesornames312
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment