• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 6, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 06, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 06, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 06, 2020

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Build A PC redditors appreciation thread

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    Few days ago I have found a thread which show the appreciation towards pcpartpicker and there is no issue with that, however sometimes we have forgot who really did help us during the time we are having trouble with our PC, no matter what the issue is, recommendation or other pc related question. I just wanted to wholeheartedly thank you everyone in this subreddit that we are really grateful for everything you did for us fellow strangers. Even without gaining any profits ,you are using your time to provide us necessary information.

    submitted by /u/darastyle
    [link] [comments]

    Your CPU is probably not going Bottleneck an RTX 3000 card

    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    If you have a 6+ core cpu in your desktop that came out in the last 3 years. Don't upgrade just for Ampere.

    I keep seeing people ask if their 10700k or 3600 is going to be enough for a 3070/3080 and it's pretty silly.

    You only need to be concerned about whether your CPU will bottleneck a new Card IF (and only IF) you currently tax the hell out of it during gaming as is.

    Got an old 4700k or FX processor that reaches 70-80% utilized during games? A 3070 might not improve your performance by as much as you'd hope.

    But if you built a new PC in the last 3 to maybe even 4 years depending on your cpu, you're fine.

    submitted by /u/Yoda0VGs
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to get a new GPU on release day?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Hi folks, I'm building my first PC due to getting a job where I'll be working from home. Friends told me to wait on the GPU until after the Nvidia event, so now I'm planning on a 3080 for what I was going to spend on a 2080 Super.

    My question is how hard is it to get a GPU on launch day? Can I just like, go to Best Buy like an hour or so before they open? I know demand is high and no one knows what supply will be like due to COVID, but I'm just wondering what my plan of attack should be. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Yburn1978
    [link] [comments]

    Weird HDMI port on old Nvidia GT 630

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    I was trying to connect an HDMI cable on an old GT 630 and noticed it wouldn't fit.

    Upon further inspection I noticed two small "tabs" on each side as seen here, any idea?

    submitted by /u/alesimula97
    [link] [comments]

    Hope it won't get lost in the subreddit, but i got my first gaming pc!!

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 07:19 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/aKNmyr4

    Ryzen 7 3700x

    Cooler Master hyper 212 spectrum rgb

    Gigabyte b550 gaming x

    Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600 (2X8)

    Antec nx 600

    Antec high current gamer gold 650W

    Addlink 512 s70 m.2

    Gigabyte RX 5700 XT

    submitted by /u/shahar015
    [link] [comments]

    How well would Rainbow Six Siege on this Pc?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Specs here

    couldn't do it on pcpartpicker because my SSD wasn't on there.

    submitted by /u/ThiccWith0c
    [link] [comments]

    I saw a post a few weeks ago about when you finish a build to change some setting in bios? Does anyone know?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 07:29 AM PDT

    There was a post asking something like "what are mistakes that people do when they finish their builds? I remember someone commenting making sure the ram is in 1 & 3 and something about changing a settings in bios to on or off? I think it started with a t? I didn't know there were settings to change and I still have not done it.

    submitted by /u/bbosserman51
    [link] [comments]

    PC build for programming/video editing/gaming

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 05:38 AM PDT

    I was gonna build a pc during spring but virus happened and it delayed my plans, however I'm nearly ready with a budget of £500-£600.

    I would like to build a pc for my programming course at uni and I want to start video editing for YouTube for fun and game as well

    I'll take any advice given, thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/mustafe1216
    [link] [comments]

    first pc, need help with gpu

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    does anybody know an alright graphics card below 200$?

    submitted by /u/The-Chad-M14
    [link] [comments]

    First pc build : 1080p vs 1440p gpu lifespan

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 03:53 AM PDT

    Hey everyone !

    I am not a native English speaker and I am new to pc gaming and Reddit so please feel free to correct any error or clumsiness toward my question or grammar.

    I was wondering if a gpu on a 1080p monitor will last longer compared to the same gpu on a 1440p monitor.

    To put it differently, if a gpu gives me the possibilty to play at high settings with 144hz on AAA games on a 1440p monitor for about 3 years before I need to change it, will using a 1080p monitor give me the possibility to play AAA games at high settings with 144hz for a longer period of time ?

    submitted by /u/Fly_Beeny
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing a 27" 2560x1440 IPS

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    So ive been shopping for a new monitor to add to my setup. Im currently looking at these monitors, they all seem pretty similar except for the prices. They're all 27" 2560 x 1440 , IPS, Gsync compatible, 144hz+. My question is other then the price, are there any advantages on has over the other? Is there any reason no to just got with the cheapest one??? Any other similar monitors you would recommend over these?

    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012015?Item=N82E16824012015&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social--sr--24-012-015-_-09052020

    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ultragear-27-ips-led-qhd-freesync-and-g-sync-compatable-monitor-with-hdr-black/6401809.p?skuId=6401809&ref=212&loc=1

    https://www.newegg.com/black-gigabyte-aorus-fi27q-p-27/p/N82E16824012011?Item=N82E16824012011&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social--sr--24-012-011-_-09052020

    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824737006?Item=N82E16824737006&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social--sr--24-737-006-_-09052020

    submitted by /u/babybluecrab35
    [link] [comments]

    Mobo suggestion for 3700x/3070 build

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    Hey all, I was looking for a mobo suggestion for a 3700x + rtx 3070 build. I'm not looking to overclock at all. I can't decide between b550 or an x570. Anyone have suggestions for someone who isn't an OCer?

    submitted by /u/GetScraped
    [link] [comments]

    Scratched my mobo + cleaning = PC won't start

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 05:14 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I opened my PC to clean with a can of compressed air. It did spit some fluid onto my mobo but dissolved soon after.

    I also had problems deattaching my GPU due to CPU cooler being so big. So i used a screwdriver to open the little latch on the PCIE slot and accidently scratched the mobo. I am worried that i scratched over important "traces" or what you might call them.

    Now the PC wont start, not even to BIOS, it just "reboots" over and over with black screen. I had a similar case before, but that was resolved by properly attaching my RAM, which is not the case this time.

    https://imgur.com/a/QfzFqif - Picture of Scratch - Did i just destroy my mobo?

    Very appreciative for any help!

    submitted by /u/PMPG
    [link] [comments]

    Helping with build requests

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    Hey, so I have a good amount of free time on my hands, and I am really active on the buildapcforme sub, and I thought I could help some people on here with their builds. No matter the question I'll try my best to answer, if I dont respond to your comment try DM'ing me instead, as I may not get to all the comments. This might be a little weird, but if you do need help I'm here to help you. Have a good day

    submitted by /u/Alluxin_
    [link] [comments]

    Help me pick some part upgrades please?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    coming from a AIO, I'm changing to air in favour of quietness

    Heres the coolers I was looking at, They all seem mostly the same performance wise so I'm not sure what to get. if you have any other coolers to suggest please do so, but I'd like them to either be noctua or be quiet brand so they match my case fans

    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/84MTwP/noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack-8252-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-d15-chromaxblack

    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/dMVG3C/noctua-nh-u12s-chromaxblack-55-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-u12s-chromaxblack

    submitted by /u/PokoIoco
    [link] [comments]

    Was going PS5 but now wondering if I'll be ok to upgrade to a 3070 on current rig

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 01:57 AM PDT

    Hello, all.

    Thanks in advance for reading this.

    Rig:

    GTX 1070

    i7-6700k

    16gb DDR4 RAM

    MSI Z170A motherboard

    EVGA 850 G2 PSU

    As the title says, I had saved up enough money to get a PS5 on release but with the price release of the new 30 series I was wondering I was to buy a 3070 would it be a simple plug and play job on my current build?

    Would be looking to game 1440p.

    submitted by /u/Bill_Murray_Movies
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy PC parts now or wait until black friday/cyber monday?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    I originally wanted to buy parts like 2 months ago until I had the realization that if I waited a couple of months I could buy the parts cheaper. However the opposite is happening, for example, in 2 months the ryzen 5 3600 has increased by £20. Does black Friday/cyber Monday even have good deals on pc parts in the first place, I don't know because this is my first time building a PC.

    submitted by /u/Catalyzt_YT
    [link] [comments]

    Is RX 5700 XT a good investment?

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    I hear about a lot of problems with drivers for the RX 5700 XT. I want to buy one because it's cheaper than Nvidia equivalent cards and I don't really care about things like ray-tracing, but I don't really want to deal with too many problems consistently. What are some of your experiences with this card and is it a good idea to get one? Or should I wait for AMD to reveal a more powerful, similarly priced card?

    submitted by /u/DefinatelyNotZognoid
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first PC, because I burnt my gaming laptop this pandemic!

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 06:04 AM PDT

    Since teenage I have been into heavy gaming as a hobby. I bought my HP laptop in 2014 after convincing my parents I need this high-end laptop for college programming and "studying". Since the lockdowns, I am working from home had a lot of free time saved due to no travel to office, which I was using for playing games after a gap of almost an year. Then, I burnt the laptop!! The mosfet burnt, damaging the motherboard, due to very high temperature.

    After 2.5 months of research and collecting funds I built this beauty 2 weeks ago. The bliss of this PC booting up cannot be described.

    PC Specs

    Build Showcase

    And no, I do not regret my decision buying the 2000 series graphics card just 2/3 weeks before the 3000's launch. That's because the new 3000 series would be a bit long before it ships, and I picked the best suitable for me from what was(is) available then!

    submitted by /u/imdsrs
    [link] [comments]

    New graphics card

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 06:01 AM PDT

    I want to buy a new graphicscard. I want to spend 150-200 euros. Can someone advise me a good one? Dont worry about power suply or motherboard thats okay!

    submitted by /u/Fire-Hunter1965
    [link] [comments]

    Completely lost on buying a monitor as a gift for a gamer

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    Tldr: Tech illiterate husband wants to buy a good gaming monitor for wife but has no idea what to look for.

    Howdy, my wife is a gamer and a photographer, and I am a retro gamer that doesn't know beans about modern tech. This summer I got a significant promotion and to celebrate we decided to spend a few thousand dollars on getting her PC up to snuff. She's been super excited about the whole process, and I've loved seeing how happy it's made her. I noticed today she was still using her 5 year old budget monitor. I asked and she said it was out of her budget.

    I'd like to surprise her with a good monitor, but without knowing what half of what monitor specs even mean I'm kind of lost. I know she has an RTX 2080 Super, but I don't know her computers other specs. We live near a Microcenter (which is apparently important). Can anyone offer any suggestions? I's $400-500 a decent budget? I could wait a few months and make it a Xmas gift if it isn't.

    submitted by /u/TheRedBee
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless Headset

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    Which are good wireless headsets I can get? With a decent mic

    submitted by /u/LGroos
    [link] [comments]

    PC Part Picker now says I need another M.2 Slot when it didn't before I purchased the parts.

    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 10:39 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2C8vgJ

    I'm helping build a rig with a Gigabyte Z490 VISION D ATX LGA1200 Motherboard and 3 M.2, and figured that with the motherboard specs it would be good and there was no compatibility warnings according to PC part picker. We went to the site again to get information on wattage usage to see if the PSU would be good enough if we added on, and noticed the following warning.

    Warning! 1 additional M.2 2280 B+M-key compatible slot is needed.

    Did we overlook something or is this likely an error on PC Part Picker's site? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/buzzbros2002
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment