• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 17, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 17, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 17, 2020


    Simple Questions - June 17, 2020

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Its really happening, Wow!

    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    I have been wanting a PC to play casual games on for about 9 years but was never able to convince my parents to buy me even an extremely budget one. but now im 16 and I've finally saved up enough to build a gaming PC. I have ordered all the parts and almost everything is here except power supply, the CPU i got came with a broken pin out of the box so i have to replace that and thats going to delay the build even further which is a shame. but regardless of all these inconveniences dont think I've ever been happier. its pretty much been my dream to have a PC, I never cared how cheap it was, I was wiling to spend even as low as $100 just to have something to play on. its something I've only ever dreamt of and now its finally slowly becoming a reality. :D

    The PC i am building is around $350 give or take

    Here are the specs (pls don't judge ya bois broke)

    CPU - Ryzen 5 1600

    🟩GPU - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Someone from this subreddit with a heart of gold gifted me a brand new GTX 1050 Ti 🟩

    Motherboard - Gigabyte B450M DS3H

    RAM - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2x4gb 2400mhz

    SSD - Silicon Power 258gb

    PSU - EVGA 550 N1 Power Supply

    Case - DarkFlash DLM 21 White mATX Case

    If you have any suggestions, tips, or anything please feel free to tell me. If you have any future upgrade suggestions or things I could change now while still staying within my budget please let me know. all feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

    EDIT: one of the most kindhearted people I've ever met on here was kind and selfless enough to gift me a GeForce GTX 1050 ti. i dont think they want their username shown but I truly am extremely greatful for this gift ❤

    P.S you guys are extremely helpful and I never expected so much love and help, you guys are doing gods work❤

    EDIT #2 You guys have made me the happiest that I've been in a while and I'm truly grateful for each and every one of you❤

    submitted by /u/Ohfuckitsrane
    [link] [comments]

    Given that the mid-tier B550s aren't all that much cheaper than a budget X570, at what price point does it make sense to choose X570 instead?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    I watched some reviews yesterday on a couple Asus boards and the new MSI Tomahawk. These are around $170 boards. Meanwhile, the Tuf X570 is $190, the Aorus Elite X570 is $200, etc.

    If the difference is only going to be $30, does it make sense to just go for the X570? Especially since the X570 is a more powerful chipset?

    What is the cutoff where it doesn't make sense to keep spending money on a B550 if there are X570s available with the same features?

    Using GPUs as an example, it seems generally advisable that if you're gonna spend $400, maybe $430, a high end 5700xt is where it's at. But if you are willing to spend $450, just go $50 more for a lower end 2070 super instead. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar idea for these motherboards, yet.

    submitted by /u/bellamira
    [link] [comments]

    Where's the line between upgrading an old PC and replacing an old one with a new?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    I was browsing through this subreddit and someone asked whether they should upgrade or build a PC from scratch. They needed to replace a lot of parts.

    It got me thinking: "What counts as replacing a PC and what counts as upgrading it?" Seems obvious, but there has to be some sort of line. For example, if someone gradually upgraded every part of their PC over time, would it still count as the same PC? And if not, when does it become a new PC? Would the same thing still apply if you upgraded a bunch of parts all at once?

    I assume that the definition varies from person to person and it really doesn't effect the end product of the PC, but it's interesting to think about. Also, is it possible to have an identity crisis about your PC?

    submitted by /u/Cuality_Content
    [link] [comments]

    $800 first build, went a little over the budget. anything i could change?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    this is my first build around the Ryzen 3 3300X platform, and in fact my very first pc build, with a budget of $800 i set for myself. a small amount of part picking later, the grand total comes to $834 excluding the cooling fans. is there anything i could change without risking the whole thing setting on fire when it starts up, without relying on some super sketchy chinese brand, or making the pc like waaaaay worse? thank you for any advice or criticism!

    $143 AMD Ryzen 3 3300X [processor]

    $172 Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS Wi-Fi [motherboard]

    $64 Corsair Carbide Series 88R [case]

    $215 ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1650 [graphics card]

    $86 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB (1x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 [RAM]

    $67 EVGA GD 450W (80+ Gold) [power supply]

    $43 Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD [HDD]

    edit: i went on pcpartpicker and somehow put a list together, with the PSU and CPU marked as "prices unavailable", the 8gb ram stick apparently "incompatible" and the case being "incompatible" too, even though it's mATX and the motherboard is mATX as well (what)

    edit 2: updated the list with russian prices

    submitted by /u/random_autist
    [link] [comments]

    Building A PC

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    submitted by /u/tanzerrr
    [link] [comments]

    No DisplayPort signal, tried HDMI, feels hopeless

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    So on my initial boot up, my system displayed the bios screen on my monitor via display port, all good. I noticed that one of my ram sticks wasn't being recognized, so I powered down, switched slots and tried again. Still nothing. After multiple swaps, my monitor is suddenly getting no display signal. I tried unplugging the computer, the monitor, I tried the computer on a different monitor and I was still getting no display. I tried booting up from the HDMI port on the MB both with and without the GPU installed and also nothing.

    This is the build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BvVDHB

    submitted by /u/eljudio42
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking into building my first gaming pc to be able to play games at 1440p and 144hz and also do CAD work

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    My current build is listed below any feedback would be appreciated. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

    submitted by /u/Huntercvp
    [link] [comments]

    My first build can't wait..

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    Ok this is what I've got Lind up is a £600 build, tell me what you think..

    Motherboard: Asus B450M-a micro ATX Ram: Corsair 16Gb 3200hz Storage: 500Gb ssd- m.2 by Weston digital Processor: Ryzen 5 2600 with cooler Graphics card: Asus Rog Rx 570 Case: Corsair 110r Power supply: Corsair 600w bronze

    This is something I've been working on for about 5months and I'm very excited to move away from console but definitely not thrilled about 4years worth of in-game progress going down the drain👌 But a fun journey nonetheless.

    submitted by /u/PlzSniff
    [link] [comments]

    Are these parts good for what i need?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I am going to be building a PC for Gaming Streaming & a bit of school work. Here is a list of parts and i am wondering if this is good for what i want to use it for or if i should get anything different.

    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler

    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

    Memory: HyperX FURY DDR4 3000MHz 16GB (2x8GB)

    Storage: Toshiba 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case

    Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

    submitted by /u/K7DN
    [link] [comments]

    Just writing a Thank-you to this community!

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Just writing to say thank-you now that my computer is up and running! Everyone was fantastic and helped me put together a great computer for the price! The only limiting factor now is my monitor 1080p @ 60 Hz which is the first thing on my list for a future upgrade. Everything runs more smoothly than I could have hoped and I have been recommending this community to anyone who asks how to build a computer (and a few people who didn't ask).

    Thanks again!

    P.S. Couple comments on the below list, I didnt use the graphics card listed . I used the triple dissipation RX5700 that is not yet listed on PCPartpicker. And I didn't pay that price on the A-Pro, I got it for $100 so it was all within my budget.

    https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-rx-57xl83ld8/p/N82E16814150841

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vwgd7T)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) | $166.99 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max) | $251.99 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZzK8/gskill-ripjaws-v-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc) | $79.99 @ Newegg

    **Storage** | [Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LdgzK8/silicon-power-a55-512gb-25-solid-state-drive-sp512gbss3a55s25) | $52.99 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tt7p99/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-dd-ultra-video-card-rx-57xl8lbd6) | $549.99 @ Amazon

    **Case** | [NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Cyqqs/nzxt-h510-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h510b-w1) | $69.99 @ Best Buy

    **Power Supply** | [Thermaltake Smart 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6RTrxr/thermaltake-smart-600w-80-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0600npcwus-w) | $125.94 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$1297.88**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-06-17 18:23 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/IPostWhenIWant
    [link] [comments]

    $400-ish budget build for Shadowlands

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:38 AM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes.

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Play the new World of Warcraft expansion, Shadowlands, on high settings (requirements here).

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    I'd like to meed the recommended specifications for World of Warcraft: Shadowlands (see above) and play on the highest settings on can on my budget.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    $400-ish

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    United States.

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $166.89 @ Walmart
    Motherboard MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
    Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $63.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $34.99 @ Amazon
    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $196.95 @ Newegg
    Case NZXT Source 210 ATX Mid Tower Case -
    Power Supply Cooler Master i500 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $572.81
    Mail-in rebates -$10.00
    Total $562.81
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-17 10:27 EDT-0400

    My questions

    1. Does this build pass the sniff test? I.e. does anything strike you as way wrong? Is it likely to perform decently playing Shadowlands?
    2. Is there anything here I can reasonably swap out for a cheaper component without sacrificing too, too much on performance? I'm think I can be somewhat willing to adjust my budget if the answer to this question is a hard no but, ideally, it would be nice to get the total cost down closer to $400.
    3. I already have the case, power supply, and harddrive that's listed above, also an SSD that's not listed. Can I re-use these in this build?
    submitted by /u/jamthefourth
    [link] [comments]

    Building new PC on Ryzen + RTX

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    Yo, so I'm going to build a gaming PC after few years...I checked the market, set budget and now i took some parts that I'm planning to buy in 2 months (partially). Budget for components is around 1600-1700 cause I have to get a Win10 also. Tell me what and why will You change in this build: - Case: Fractal Design Modify C - MOBO: B450 Tomahawk Max - CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT (Available 7/7/20) - Graphic: RTX 2080 Super Windforce - RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB/3200/CL16 - Power supply: bequiet! Straight Power 750W 80+ Gold - SSD: M.2 970 Evo+ 1TB - Wifi adapter: TP Link ac1300 Archer

    Right now, if I'll buy these parts today (with ryzen 5 3600x) the cost is 1636€ + few € on shipping. Living in The Netherlands

    submitted by /u/Tausik
    [link] [comments]

    I built my first ever PC over the weekend, & couldn’t be more thankful & happy for this community.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:48 AM PDT

    Without r/buildapc, it would've taken me a lot of more digging around on the Internet on how to get the answers to my question.

    I'd post a question, and every time someone answered me within minutes and my headache was solved.

    I'm super happy & grateful to everyone on the subreddit, you guys are very helpful and couldn't be nicer. It's super intimidating building a first PC, but every time I said I was asking a dumb question, I was always reassured that there is no such thing when building a pc.

    I started buying parts around the end of March and finally put it together this weekend. The hardest part for me wasn't cable management, but installing the cpu cooler was difficult because lining up the screws while putting even pressure was very difficult.

    Anyways, here's the PcPartPicker list and some pictures from start to end. Thanks again guys I couldn't have done it without your help & advice ❤️

    Pictures!

    PcPartPicker list

    submitted by /u/zac_g19
    [link] [comments]

    Absolute beginner to this whole PC building stuff, so I would really appreciate some help with my parts list.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:45 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nutterbutter420/saved/#view=8Bnxcf

    Are these parts compatible, and will they work well together?

    submitted by /u/nutterbutter_420
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor “1ms” vs “4ms”

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    What exactly is the difference? And regarding that difference, what does it mean for me, the player?

    Where is it necessary? And is it even necessary?

    submitted by /u/DeadLector
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my first build��

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    Finally finished my first build ever and it booted up perfectly on the first try!!! Such a relief haha.

    Specs! CPU: Intel i7 10th gen Gpu: RTX 2060 super Motherboard: Msi Z490 Case: Mastercooler MB530P

    pics

    submitted by /u/-That_Shy_Guy-
    [link] [comments]

    first time build - sffpc/ITX ryzen build for productivity and lil gaming

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    Hi all - first time builder here need some help. I appreciate anyone's $0.02. I'm hoping to build in my newly purchased NCASE M1 an ITX Ryzen build.

    I'm a civil engineer currently changing careers and in school for CS - so I do a lot of multitasking and programming. No video editing or crazy rendering. Only since the shelter in place have I been using AutoCAD through remote set up and I typically have maybe 50-100 chrome tabs open. I also intend to use the setup for light gaming (LoL, Overwatch, Don't Starve Together heh). I hope this gaming setup will also allow me to pick up more games in the future as I haven't been able to game really on my old Macbook. I've done a lot of reading, but wanted some specific advice regarding my build since it's my first time and I didn't want to mess it up.

    I've watched almost all of OptimumTech's videos on sffpc/ITX builds so I decided to go the ROG Strix B450-I route (and was able to snag one), but since the new B550s came out, I'm not sure which mobo to lean towards. I also read that B550s probably wouldn't be compatible with the future gen sockets so I didn't see the need for upgrading to a B550 (any input on that is appreciated). I chose the 3700x route due to the multiple cores for lots of multitasking/programming, and I'm thinking several years down the line, the CPU will still do me good compared to the 3600. I don't believe I'll update anytime soon so the set up would hopefully last me at least 5 years. I also intend to eventually dual boot windows/linux in the future. I have an AW3418DW already, but am hoping eventually to get a CRG9 - so I put that in my list for FYI. There's so many GPUs out there and freesync vs gsync so I was really unsure what would be necessary vs overkill. Any input on GPU would be very appreciated!

    Please note that any of the drives I left as a placeholder in my list as well. I've noted purchased items but I don't mind changing anything in the list. Any advice would help! I'm not too concerned about cost and I've allotted moneys for the build as I hope this will last me a long time. But I also don't want to overspend and get anything too overkill.

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KNKhp8)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor]

    **CPU Cooler** | [Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler] | $39.95 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard]| Purchased For $134.99

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory] | Purchased For $124.99

    **Storage** | [Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive]| $149.99 @ Adorama

    **Storage** | [Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive] | $134.99 @ Newegg

    **Case** | [NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case]| Purchased For $240.00

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply | Purchased For $150.00

    **Monitor** | [Dell AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor] | Purchased For $0.00

    **Monitor** | [Samsung C49RG9 49.0" 5120x1440 120 Hz Monitor]| $0.00

    | **Total** | **$1249.40**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-06-17 18:30 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/rosemarryyy
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading cpu

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    I'm taking this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TsbyZ8 and putting a AMD 3300x into it. I need help figuring out the motherboard that would work the best, I'm trying to spend about $150 ish or less

    submitted by /u/shockdrop20
    [link] [comments]

    Helping a friend build a pc

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    I am helping a friend build a PC, and he has a $700 dollar price range. I think this build would be great for him, I just need to shave some dollars off.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/psQzK8/modest-amd-gaming-build

    submitted by /u/Reeper122
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding a reliable long term PSU for this build

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    I am putting together the best $700 - $750 pc I can think of to replace my laptop.

    Here is the build that I put together. This is my first build so I am still learning stuff. With this build, what amount of Watts do I need to run this system with wiggle room? 400 - 500?

    I was looking at the Corsair CX550M but it's out of stock. Although the CX450M is on their site. Maybe a different PSU all together?

    submitted by /u/SweatyCubes
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to have a 5700XT and an old GTX-770 in the same pc?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    Before you downvote me for sheer stupidity (I acknowledge my lack of knowledge!) please hear me out.

    Since this whole pandemic started both my wife and I have been working at home remotely with our 4 kids. We then ended up fighting over my pc which has a RTX 2060 Super on it. We've found RTX voice to be a godsend with our 4 kids making noise.

    In the interim, tired of fighting for the computer and working weird shifts into the night, I took the opportunity to get a new pc. This one is all amd though with a R9 3900x and Power Color Red Dragon 5700xt. Downside is my workstation is out in the open and no RTX Voice.

    I've read that RTX voice could be used on non-RTX cards and thought about using an old GTX-770 (MSI Twin Frozr) in a second slot just for RTX voice. Is this possible? Is it even worth it or should I just eat the cost for another RTX card?

    Thanks for any input!

    submitted by /u/AirForceSpouse
    [link] [comments]

    1600af vs 2600

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    First PC build parts questions and advice

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I'm planning on building my first PC which will be used for gaming, school, and work. I was wondering if I can get your suggestions for the parts I picked.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nxhjx6

    My main question is the compatibility notes. What does it mean? when picking the parts, the compatible motherboards are suggested but the comments give you a warning.

    Do you have any other motherboards that might resolve the compatibility issue or should I ignore?

    Lastly, I was wondering if there may be any other issues I might not be aware of? Other compatibility issues with different software etc.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Alex-lee-099
    [link] [comments]

    question about comet lake and ram

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    on this product page for the i9 10900k it says "Memory types: DDR4-2933". Does this have anything to do with what ram speeds the cpu is compatible with? If not, do you only need to look at the motherboard's memory capability? if the 2933 number means 2933 mhz that seems kinda low, is it the minimum or whats it mean

    ty

    submitted by /u/BluTF2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment