• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 31, 2020

    Hardware support: [Gamers Nexus] Out of Stock: Power Supplies, Motherboards, & Video Card Shortage Explained, Restock Dates

    Hardware support: [Gamers Nexus] Out of Stock: Power Supplies, Motherboards, & Video Card Shortage Explained, Restock Dates


    [Gamers Nexus] Out of Stock: Power Supplies, Motherboards, & Video Card Shortage Explained, Restock Dates

    Posted: 30 May 2020 11:28 PM PDT

    Intel (Xe) DG1 ‘still’ slower than Radeon RX 560 and GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    Intel Core i3-10100 + B460 Review vs. Ryzen 3 3300X & 3100

    Posted: 30 May 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    Intel plans to open Tofino CPUs

    Posted: 30 May 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    Thermaltake A500 TG. Anybody with this case? Here my impressions

    Posted: 31 May 2020 02:28 AM PDT

    Intel Kills Off Core i9-9900K Speciality Packaging

    Posted: 30 May 2020 06:48 AM PDT

    Review: Lenovo IdeaPad S540 13-API

    Posted: 30 May 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    Hey,

    Here's a short review of the Lenovo IdeaPad S540 13-API.

    • Price ~950€.
    • Specs: Ryzen 5, Vega 8, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD.

    A word of caution, this one is very subjective review and by no means professional as I lack respective equipment. Also I don't post benchmarks unless requested, but I do not want to invest money in the software I just use once. I report subjective user experience from real world scenario.I am referring to Notebookcheck's review, which convinced me to buy the device. And I have to report quite different results than they did. I did not change any settings nor did any undervolting etc.

    Case: good, sturdy, full aluminium build. There is very minimal flex on the keyboard and display lid. What I have to criticise is that quality of assembly. The display lid is not centrally integraded at the hinge, which displaces it a bit to the left creating a gap that is 1 mm wider on the right side. Consequently the display lid does not evenly align with the base. Other than that it is pretty good work.

    Display: rather dim and highly reflective. I compared it to my old Asus UL80VT which is about 10 years old. When comparing by review of Notebookcheck, my old notebook should have about 180 cd/m^2 while the Lenovo should measure above 300 cd/m^2. In real life honestly, there is not much difference. There is some but barely noticeable. Also even on the brightest level, you can still mirror yourself in the display, which I expect is not ideal when using in bright environments like train or café.

    Keyboard: decent. Very shallow travel, but at least quiet. Backlight is fine and even.

    Trackpad: decent. It's about what you would expect nowadays. Not more, not less.

    Performance: decent. It is not extraordinarily fast by any means. Internet (in Edge) is quite laggy, Youtube is really slow, I mean my 10 yrs old laptop is about as fast. I haven't done much gaming on it yet, because it wasn't my intended primary use case.

    Edit: Edge is the problem. It is just not as fast as. Tried Chrome and Opera, both were much faster (judging from loading home screen of YouTube) . Guess Microsoft just doesn't cut it yet.

    Battery: actually not good. I have been averaging about 6h of light real world use so far (including web browsing, downloading, uploading, word processing). Also keep in mind that you would need to work on a near maximum brightness, so you cannot really gain time by lowering brightness as it becomes unusable in any room with average daylight conditions.Considering that it is supposed to be a light and portable device you'd expect more like 8-9h. I would not be so confident bringing it to work without a charger.

    Fans: quite loud and a little annoying. Contrary to the mentioned review by Notebookcheck it is quite loud under load. I measure around 45 db at a distance of about 15-20 cm. Also it emits a high pitched whistling sound on higher loads, which is annoying and constantly on.

    Temperature: gets hot. It gets warm from simple internet browsing, while the palm area stays cool. But it gets like really hot when running a little gaming session (up to 51°C after 5 min of playing Trackmania). Also very conflicting with reviews.

    Charger: quite large for size of laptop and gets hot too!

    Misc: Constantly wakes from standby. I haven't figure it out yet but when I close the lid it goes to sleep, after 1 min it wakes up, the fans spinning wild and actually getting quite warm to the touch. Frustrating as hell.

    Summery: I still haven't decided if I keep it. I've had it for about a week now but some of the things mentioned are just a major disappointment, even in a lower price range.

    I'll keep you updated if I gain any new experience.

    submitted by /u/FFabs
    [link] [comments]

    Is the OpenPowerFoundation politically shielded from embargoes and sanctions against other countries?

    Posted: 30 May 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    In light of the trade war between the US and China, with Huawei being cut off from some supply lines and software.

    RISC-V chose to move to Switzerland so that any country can use the instruction set without fear that political embargoes would cut them off from this intellectual property.

    As far as I know the OpenPowerFoundation is located in the US? This present problems to some countries like China and North Korea.

    Any thoughts about this.

    submitted by /u/John238
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment