• Breaking News

    Friday, September 10, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 10, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 10, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 10, 2021

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I turned down a RTX 3090 for MSRP

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:12 AM PDT

    As much as I hyped myself up throughout the year, I lost it when I saw that I could finally hit that "buy" button from EVGAs cart. I initially signed up for the auto-notify for their whole RTX 3080 and 3090 line up and fast forward six month i finally got the email notification. Once I opened it I was compelled with joy as I saw an amazing RTX 3090 hybrid that I could soon call mine. I was thrilled to finally upgrade from a GTX 1060 3GB that was doing the bare minimum for me.

    After some time reflecting I decided to pass on it and let someone else enjoy it. Seeing how many more gamers are out there without a GPU just made the whole transaction feel gloomy for me. Yes I'm a gamer but I don't feel like it's justifiable in my circumstance to have a killer rig to play CSGO and War Thunder. I could of course sold the 1060 but I'm the ending the hype train left me. I'm sure I'll get downvoted but all well.

    submitted by /u/jorgerp86
    [link] [comments]

    I won the Newegg shuffle.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 04:08 PM PDT

    I won the new egg shuffle today. I won a asus rog strik 3060 12G ddr6. I currently have a 2070 in my build, we put together a welfare build for my wife recently. She has a 1050 ti. From what I read, the 2070 out performs the 3060. So I was thinking of giving her the card. What minimum requirements would I need to have a new graphic card since all the other parts are old.

    I don't know what the mobo is. DDR3 ram 2 x 8G sticks i7-4790s cpu mastercooler aio Corsair 500w psu And evga 1050 ti ssc is current gpu.

    Do I need to upgrade everything else to use this card in her build? The mobo is from a prebuilt from Best Buy about 6 years ago lol

    submitted by /u/danstvx
    [link] [comments]

    Do PSUs deliver power even if the power switch is flipped to off?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 09:25 AM PDT

    I've built myself a new machine and when I plugged in the PSU for the first time I noticed that some of the motherboard LEDs are on even though the PSU's mechanical power switch is flipped to off.

    I then returned the PSU and ordered another one only to experience the exact same thing: PSU off, LEDs are glowing. Is it normal for a PSU to deliver power even though it's ostensibly turned off?

    I've worked with electricity and electronics here and there and when a mechanical switch was flipped to its OFF state that always really meant OFF.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/agentsmurf6
    [link] [comments]

    Will UE5 change the way we look at gaming computers?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 10:17 AM PDT

    This could probably be posted in many other subreddits, but I felt it is just as relevant here. I just recently heard about the new unreal engine and have recently started seeing many demos on YouTube. It looks amazing. What really got me was the fact that one of the developers was explaining how you wouldn't even need a top of the line rig to play these games and that even a 4gb or 6gb GPU was enough, if I'm not mistaken.

    For anyone more familiar with UE5, if that's the case, will we be looking at gaming hardware differently than we do now or will it basically be the same? In other words, would we need to worry less about upgrading hardware as often as we do now in order to enjoy the games we play, at least graphically?

    Edit Lots of replies regarding demo graphics vs actual graphics. This thread wasn't necessarily regarding the graphics. More of the emphasis was on the commentary regarding being dependent on the latest and greatest hardware, which again, is what I got out of it.

    submitted by /u/Tell_a_phone
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe to use psu cables from 2 of the same power supply?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I have 2 of the same psu (Corsair rm750x) in two separate computers and I accidentally mixed the two cables. Now I know you can't use two cables from different companies (and different models), but if they're the exact same model, is that okay?

    submitted by /u/sapfel93
    [link] [comments]

    I built my first PC in 15 years!

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:16 PM PDT

    I built my first PC in 15 years! And it went really well!

    The front panel cables stumped me for a good 10 minutes until I found how to plug them in the motherboard manual, other than that, everything works flawlessly, the computer's a beast!

    I only have one issue with it, one of the fans at the bottom can't be installed because the USB3 cables are blocking it, https://imgur.com/a/NRTqqrz Does anyone know if there's a 90-degree cable, or a more flexible one I could buy to fix that?

    I also tried a different fan setup, https://imgur.com/a/JXzaECd the bottom 2 (soon 3 hopefully) fans are intake, the side radiator is intake, but for the top fans, the 2 on the left are exhausts, and the one on the right (the pink one) is also an intake. My reasoning for that, is that the radiator is bringing in cold air, only to have it leave the case immediately, I want that cold air to move over to the RAM and CPU, and then be exhausted, what do you guys think?

    For the record, the last PC I built had a 8800 GTX and an Intel Core 2 Quad.

    The new PC specs

    Ryzen 9 5950X

    Corsair H150i Elite Capellix radiator 360mm

    EVGA 3080 Ti XC3

    64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 16x4

    Corsair RMx 1000W

    Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard

    WD SN750 2Tb M.2 NVMe x2

    WD SN850 2Tb M2. NVMe

    Seagate Barracuda 4Tb

    Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

    And a bunch of Corsair QL120 fans

    Some may say this is overkill, we went over it in other threads, I actually need this for what I do, and during my tests, I'm actually able to push this computer close to it's limits, but it does everything I need! Super happy about it! Plus it looks great with all that Corsair RGB.

    submitted by /u/EverlastingApex
    [link] [comments]

    I am ready to replace my Intel i5-6500 and I can't decide if I should go with AMD Ryzen 5600X or Intel i5-11600K?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:44 PM PDT

    I have two CMK16GX4M1A2400C16 RAM sticks, and it would be great to use the same RAM. I know Ryzen does benefit from faster RAM. So I would have to purchase new 3600 RAM if I were to go with Ryzen.

    I looked up some gaming benchmarks and the i5-11600K does result in higher FPS in the games that I play.

    So should I go with Intel to reuse my RAM and save some money?

    ADM Intel
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Intel 5-11600K
    GIGABYTE B550 GAMING X V2 GIGABYTE AORUS B560M AORUS PRO
    CMK32GX4M2D3600C16 CMK16GX4M1A2400C16 (Owned)
    submitted by /u/LittleWhiteDragon
    [link] [comments]

    i7 4770K in 2021 - Do I Upgrade for better 1440p 144hz gaming?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:52 PM PDT

    Hey Folks, been digging around the net and not getting solid answers so first let me post my rig specs!

    i7 4770K - water cooled not overclocked currently

    2x8GB RAM 1867 speed.. Do not recall if DDR2 or DDR 3.

    RTX 2070 8GB Gigaybte Brand

    Samsung 1TB SSD and 500GB SSD

    4th gen ASUS motherboard Maximus VI Hero

    So I am curious, with GPU staying the same, could I signficantly increase my FPS at 144hz and 1440p gaming/multi tasking with newer CPU/MOBO/RAM from what I have today?

    submitted by /u/pixel8knuckle
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on parts list please!

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    I'm looking for advice on my parts list please. Specifically the RAM and motherboard: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/jenjs/saved/#view=KvBVWZ

    I've never built a computer before and am learning. I received help with the parts list and have help for the build, but I just want to make sure it's perfect before committing.

    I would like a computer that allows me to watch streams while playing games/multitasking (I like the sims 4 but want to be able to play on the highest graphics settings, with all expansion packs installed, Mods, Etc. Without worrying. Plus, if Sims 5 comes out in the future, I want my computer to run it flawlessly). I understand that Sims doesn't have extreme requirements, but I want to make the computer as good as I can in case I get into other games :) Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/jenniferjanes
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3070 FE fan clicking

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 08:27 AM PDT

    I recently build a pc while installing my graphics card (RTX 3070 founders edition) i made the mistake of bracing one of my hands on a fan and felt a little push and now when my pc is running there is a noticeable but still quiet clicking noise. Should I try and pull on it gently or take the card apart and try and fix the problem?

    submitted by /u/ModlyBox9
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know how to optimize a gpu.

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    Hi,

    So I installed my driver (which I am now not so sure off because I can't find it).

    I also did benchmarking tests. Here are the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Tpgv8LN

    How can I improve it. 60-90 fps is really low for a 3070ti I think.

    submitted by /u/FOXlegend007
    [link] [comments]

    Something up with my graphics card :/

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 04:41 AM PDT

    https://youtube.com/shorts/HvIwZXd7li0?feature=share

    Could somebody take a look at this video. My graphics card has started to make a noise but when I apply pressure with my finger on the casing of the GPU the noise stops. I've taken it out. Cleaned it with an air duster and still same problem. It started about a week ago and only happens when playing games

    submitted by /u/ashhelz
    [link] [comments]

    Computer occasionally overheats and shutsdown, new fans or separate issue?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:51 PM PDT

    hey y'all this issue has recently (past 6 months?) popped up where my pc gets really hot and shuts down when playing intensive games. CPU temps clock in at around 90 celcius which apparently isn't super high under full load but can be cause for concern. im running a ryzen 5 3600x with stock cooling fan. ive cleaned out any dust several times but the issue keeps popping up.

    this issue only happens when i run intense games happens pretty infrequently but wanted to see if anyone might have any ideas to troubleshoot before i buy a new fan

    submitted by /u/EvenJesusCantSaveYou
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with my AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    My mother board is a msi b450 gaming pro carbon and I have installed the latest BOIS and flashed it with my old processor a Ryzen 1600 it recognized the new processor but I can't get past the MSI click BIOS Everytime I boot it up it only takes it to there I tried to look around the menus but I couldn't find the problem please help me I would appreciate it

    submitted by /u/BrennanWhiting
    [link] [comments]

    MPG BB560i WiFi Edge wifi connection is slow/unstable

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:05 PM PDT

    Troubleshooting Help:

    Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

    In the beginning the PC wouldn't connect to any wifi network, it would always just say that it couldn't connect to the network. After I installed the wifi drivers for the motherboard, I was able to connect to my network.

    The problem I now have is that the connection is very slow/unstable. I went on the cmd prompt and did a ping on google.com, the ping times varied from 20ms to 400ms and it would time out often.

    List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

    I've tried turning off the power saving feature on the adapter but there wasn't any change to the problem. I'm honestly at a loss here. I've looked up solutions online but they all lead to changing something in the router, which I know isn't the problem. I have other computers on the network not having this particular problem.

    Please offer me some suggestions/ideas to fix this, thank you.

    Edit: The antennas are connected, its the first thing I did before connecting. It looks like I get a strong signal (full bars on the wifi icon). But it seems like the signal is somehow unstable.

    submitted by /u/SirLemonyWatermelon
    [link] [comments]

    Does the CPU fan NEED to be screwed in?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 01:00 PM PDT

    My motherboard doesn't align properly with the case's CPU fan holes. If I just rest the fan atop the CPU will that suffice?

    submitted by /u/KaazHun
    [link] [comments]

    PCI-E and NVME M.2 confusion?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I have a Z490 Aorus Elite Mobo, 2 Samsung Evo M.2 NVMe drive installed taking up both slots, and was looking to install a PCI-E WiFi/Bluetooth card so that I can hook up a controller wirelessly to my pc and use wifi.

    I read a few conflicting things about how having an NVMe drive uses a PCI-E lane or something like that and disables the slot. Could someone please explain this to me or tell me if this would work? I currently have a USB bluetooth dongle but the range kind of sucks so I was hoping to find a better alternative.

    I would hate to buy the PCI-E adapter just to find out it doesn't work though.

    submitted by /u/unrulytriangles
    [link] [comments]

    First Build, any advice on my Parts List is greatly appreciated

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 10:27 AM PDT

    Hey all, my laptop motherboard died last month and I'm thinking to build my first pc and reuse a couple parts (16gb ram and NVME SSD). Here's my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qmBdBc

    I'd mainly use this for work (AutoCAD) and light gaming (Dota 2). I think it should handle. I have a few questions though...

    1. Would I need a CPU cooler or any other additional fans? The CPU, GPU, and case all have stock fans.
    2. Is there anything else that might be salvageable or sellable from my dead laptop? It's an HP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R188RY1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    3. Since I'm using my old SSD, would Windows 10 already be on it or would I need to buy that on a flash drive separately?
    4. Would I need to do a BIOS update? When I was looking at MSI B550 mobos, pcpartpicker told me I'd need one so I switched to the ASUS. It doesn't seem like a big deal if I'd need one anyway though right?

    Thanks all. Let me know if anything looks off, I really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/Tolin
    [link] [comments]

    ''AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready'' sticker question.

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 10:26 AM PDT

    This means I don't have to update the bios prior to installing the CPU right? I want to be 100% sure so I don't mess anything up.

    submitted by /u/Drockie5
    [link] [comments]

    Lian Li O-11 case owners what is your fan configuration

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:30 PM PDT

    I've got three intake on bottom three up top on a 360 mm rad as exhaust and three on the side as exhaust as well. Temps seem alright but figured I'd hear how others prefer it.

    submitted by /u/exec_get_id
    [link] [comments]

    How To Water Cool a GPU

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    I won a Newegg Shuffle a while back, and of course, rather than my target card, I was presented with the opportunity to buy a 3080 + mobo combo that I had selected as a "why the hell not" choice, and after over a year of looking, I wasn't going to say no. Unfortunately, I missed the part where this thing (A Gigabyte Aorus Master Waterforce 3080) has to be Water-cooled (In my defence I was just too happy to have actually been able to get a card).

    I have absolutely zero experience with water cooling systems. I have never done even the slightest bit of research or even seen one in person, and I had never intended to use one. Now that I have to, I'm at a loss. From what I can tell I have to custom-build a system in order to include my gpu? Is anyone able to run me through (or point me to a guide - I haven't found one that doesn't just assume a base level of parts knowledge) how to go about this? I'd like to minimize cost, but since I'm already astronomically over my intended spend, top priority is just getting this thing online.

    TL;DR - I need to water-cool a 3080 and have no idea how to do it.

    submitted by /u/ALividPileOfDirt
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade advice please?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 12:25 PM PDT

    Hi so I'm looking to upgrade my pc but I don't really know a lot a PC upgrades. What I'm looking for is a PC that can stream to twitch and still handle VR, FPS and other high intensive gpu/cpu games.

    At the moment my gpu is 8GB AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT my cpu is AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six core and my motherboard is Asus Prime B550-Plus

    Are these ok specs? What could I upgrade to? If I get a new gpu should I keep my old gpu as a secondary gpu? And what other things should I consider to change?

    Also where could I look to buy/sell parts and do more research in order to make these decisions myself?

    Any advice would be appreciated. THANK YOU!!

    submitted by /u/ElliWasHere
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone please look over my future build

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 11:47 AM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Mostly going to be used for productivity and school, but will also use for light gaming (Warzone, Xbox exclusives). I currently have a PS4 and intend to get a PS5 for my main gaming use.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    1440p, 144hz, High/Ultra settings

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)? $2000-2500 CAD

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    Canada

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rnNYkX

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    I'm debating whether to run a dual 32" 1440p, 144hz setup, or a triple 27" monitor setup with the same resolution and refresh rate. Is a 3060Ti enough to handle these or should I be looking for a better gpu? Also I'm aware of the situation regarding gpus, so I will keep my eyes out for future drops. I'm hoping to gather the parts by the end of this year, but if I have to wait till next year, I can do so.

    Also, regarding the ssd, and psu I will most likely get whichever is cheaper at the time of purchase. So those will most likely change. As for the ram, I am open to different specs for them, but I prefer the look of the Trident Z.

    Thank you for any help in advance!

    edit: Forgot to add that I will also be using Photoshop quite a bit and I occasionally do video editing. As for why I want many monitors/larger monitors is for real estate space, since I usually have multiple windows open with multiple browser tabs for each window. For the monitors, I will be upgrading them at a later point in time, but I'd like to be prepared for that.

    submitted by /u/Beserker9
    [link] [comments]

    MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 11:44 AM PDT

    Does this motherboard support Ryzen 5 3600X? Does it also support Ryzen 7? Just bought it and am wanting to upgrade to a Ryzen 7, which Ryzen 7 should I get?

    submitted by /u/Green-Difference7141
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment