• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 9, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 09, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 09, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 09, 2021

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Never give up

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 09:59 PM PDT

    Recently I posted about wanting to give up building my first PC because of all the shortages and scalpers, but then a miracle fell onto me. My dad's friend came the other day to hang out and he has connections to someone working at Canada Computers and I got the chance to buy the parts for my first PC (including a GPU at MSRP). I know this is a big 'screw everyone else' thing but I'm just plain grateful I have this opportunity to finally be able to have my first build. I just want to say something to those that thought of giving up on PC building because of the current situation, to NEVER GIVE UP.

    I'm currently just waiting to pay for the parts because there is a delay that happened because of an apparent flood that happened yesterday.

    I want to thank those that gave me suggestions of different solutions that can suffice if things do not work out in the other post, I appreciate it greatly.

    *Edit: Jesus christ the phrasing was horrible in this post, It was like 5 am when I posted this and I didn't even proofread. I was meant to say that a miracle might just happen to you so you should never give up.

    submitted by /u/ChaosDragon123
    [link] [comments]

    I gave up

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:29 AM PDT

    1 year of patiently waiting for a good deal and I noticed yesterday that these months were probably getting even worse... so I bought a 3060ti for 650€, a complete robbery, but honestly I'd rather waste 150 more than another minimum 4 months of waiting... I'll consider I'm paying 40/month for the extra time.

    submitted by /u/xKv0ThE
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a dummy, bought msi mpg b550 got it for cheap being refurbished. Didn't realize 2nd gen wasn't supported. Possible to get r7 2700x to work on it or am I sol

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:07 AM PDT

    Which GPU will hold the most value after Etherium stops

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 05:34 AM PDT

    Not worrying about budget....... What GPU, 3060 and above, will be least affected if mining becomes unprofitable and the scalpers/miners all bugger off?

    I read 90% of all GPU mining is on Etherium, and it might not be viable for miners in 6 months. If they can't make their money on another crypto, and the market is flooded with cards, which currently overpriced card will retain its value the most by percentage?

    I'm tempted by a 3090 which seems overkill, but actually they are probably the closest card % wise to the msrp price right now.

    Other things that might make the prices come down; more people outdoors after lockdown. People transitioning back to office work vs homework. The release of the 40 series cards.

    I don't "need" an extremely powerful card...but there are some benefits from upgrading through work before November.

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/dreadlockno1
    [link] [comments]

    Help: RAM won’t click in. I’ve tried to put pressure evenly on both sides but it still won’t click in

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 08:21 AM PDT

    Planning on upgrading to a 5600X CPU - which motherboard should I get?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    Hi, I currently own a 3600x and as I was considering switching to a 5600x and with that opportunity also swap motherboard, as the one that I currently have (asus-rog x570 gaming-F) has been a real nightmare in terms of bios updates and issues.

    I would be curious to know what motherboards could potentially be out-of-the-box be ready for a 5600x or if not, that would at least be relatively easy and painless to update. I have also recently bought a new NVMe m2 drive that I would like to use in the new system (my current mainboard just derps and won't work at all when I tried installing it). As graphics card I have a 3070

    submitted by /u/Ro9
    [link] [comments]

    If I want my PC to connect to Wifi what do I buy?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 04:34 AM PDT

    I am also fussy about having a strong connection. I've heard that there is a difference between Wifi card and Wifi adapter, so I'm not entirely sure what I should be buying.

    Edit: I know that wired is best but I will be moving into a uni dorm (I already have a PC so I won't be changing the motherboard)

    submitted by /u/ky1e0
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions please

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:04 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nc4PPV

    So as we all know now is not the time to buy a GPU. I have an MSI RX580 4gb, my old rig was well below the capabilities of this card but I got a good deal when I bought it a while back. My old rig has since died, and I would like to throw together something cheap to get by on until the market gets reasonably back to normal, I intend to use the storage that I already have as well (2Tb between a SATA SSD and an M.2 NVME). This is what I have put together and wouldn't mind someone more well versed in building PC's than myself giving their opinions . The goal here is to be as cheap as possible while being on par with the GPU I have. I want to keep the 32gb of ram, I know I could get cheaper by stepping down to 16 but I frankly don't want to. I play mostly Escape from Tarkov which is well know to be quite ram hungry, then chrome of course also being quite ram hungry. Thanks for your time and opinions.

    submitted by /u/JeremyC7915
    [link] [comments]

    cpu performing way below expectations (1%)

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 10:06 AM PDT

    Hello, I need help please, my little sister recently just built her own new pc, there was no problem at first except cpu going up to 100 degree until I recently fixed it( cpu fan was not properly put on the cpu), now temp is fine and she could play mhw and league without any lags, but recently I got her to play warzone and she gets 30fps with lot of lags, stutter, so I did a benchmark and it was saying that the cpu was way below expectations(1%)

    she has my old gpu which was working good (gtx 1060 6gb) 12gb ram I5-10400f Ssd 1to

    Cpu temp is good I'd say at boot cpu temp was at like 35/40 degree(was not before until I could fix it)

    Btw I'm not at home so I can't post the benchmark but as soon as I get home I'll post it

    submitted by /u/netus26100
    [link] [comments]

    I'm building a pc for my dad.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 12:47 AM PDT

    So uh after 5 years of convincing my dad to respect himself and buy a new pc (replacing the 10-year-old pc with the intel core duo), he finally gave in. Huzzah!

    The specs are:

    - Motherboard: MSI MAG B460M MORTAR

    - CPU: Intel Core i5-10400

    - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8GB, 3000mhz)

    - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch

    - PSU: Corsair CV550 550W

    - Case: Cooler Master NR400 mATX (comes with two case fan installed)

    The total price is (from VND to USD): $537

    You might be asking: "Why don't you buy an SSD?". Well i already got a spare 512GB SSD lying around after I'd bought a new one to upgrade my laptop, so I will use that.

    Also, I'm planning to buy a GTX 1650 in the future for my dad to play Forza Horizon 5.

    So, what do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/SashimiLoveSnow
    [link] [comments]

    What should I upgrade next?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I've built my pc on January from this year, and, well, I'm not willing to upgrade RIGHT NOW. However, I do need to program myself for the next piece I need to buy in the next months (maybe next year). Here's my pc:

    Ryzen 7 5800x w/ water cooler RTX 3070 32 GB Ram 1 SSD 1tb nvme 1 HD 1 TB Psu 750w bronze plus

    I use it mainly for gaming, simple video editing and programming.

    Also, I live in Brazil so pieces are way expensive, that's why I'm asking beforehand.

    submitted by /u/m4rcck
    [link] [comments]

    Should I liquid cool my Ryzen 5 3600?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 12:29 PM PDT

    I am interested in an AIO cooler, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for my CPU. I'd like to learn about overclocking it, if it's even worth it; or instead of overclocking, should I just upgrade my CPU?

    Any advice is appreciated! :)

    submitted by /u/toastandbananas7
    [link] [comments]

    New PC build keeps locking up

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 10:16 AM PDT

    Specs:

    AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

    ASUS TUF Gaming x570 Pro plus WIFI on latest BIOS version 4201

    formerly G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16

    then replaced with G Skill Trident Z 2X16 DDR4-3600 CL16

    EVGA 850W psu

    MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB VENTUS 3X Video Card

    Issue:

    Since I built my pc I have an issue where if the computer sits for an extended period of time it will lock up. The monitor will wake up but it will just be a black screen. I have tried troubleshooting the issue with a few memory tests and later found out that one of my DIMMs were defective so I swapped those out for G skill TridentZ. After changing the RAM I am still having the issue. While trying to find any sort of deep sleep settings in the BIOS the PC froze in the BIOS so I swapped out the motherboard. The motherboard has been updated to the latest version as is the chipset. After a day and a half the pc locked up again. All sleep settings are turned off and the system never goes into a low power mode.

    I'm at my wits end. Could it be the GPU or CPU? Could it be due to windows not being activated? Please help.

    submitted by /u/riot92
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard only has 4 case fan ports. Which fans are the most important to have on?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 08:31 AM PDT

    I have an Antec 1200 tower, so I have 6 case fans to use. Picture of the tower Fan numbering starts at the back and goes up and around.

    Fan 1: Back of tower just below fan 2

    Fan 2: Back of tower at the top

    Fan 3: On top of tower (200mm)

    Fan 4: Front of tower just over halfway up

    Fan 5: Front of tower below fan 4

    Fan 6: Front of tower below fan 5

    Fans 1-3 are exhaust, fans 4-6 are intakes.

    I was wondering if it was important enough to use a different configuration or if I'm overthinking this. My thought process is that I need fan 2 for the CPU heat sink, fan 3 for the entire case, fan 4 for the CPU and cooler, and fan 5 for the GPU. I'm wondering if the power supply gets hot and if I should switch fan 5 for fan 6.

    Or tell me I'm crazy and just vastly overestimating the importance of case fans and where they should point. I'm also getting a fan splitter soon so I'll just have one useless fan.

    EDIT - Fan 3 is an exhaust fan, not an intake.

    submitted by /u/StormsOfMordor
    [link] [comments]

    Which Pcie slot for gpu

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 12:02 PM PDT

    Hey guys, i want to change my gpu's pcie slot because when i use the first one it block other two pcie slots.

    So here's the list in correct order.

    1. PCIEX16/X8_1
    2. PCIEX1_1
    3. PCIEX1_2
    4. PCIEX16/X8_2
    5. PCIEX4
    6. PCIEX8/X1_3

    I have rtx 3080 and it's installed to the first pcie slot. But when the problem is that it (almost)blocks other two pciex1 slots. Plus indon't want to block fans. I have few compenents that works better with x1.

    So my question is if i move my card to 4th slot (PCIEX16/X8_2) will i lose something? Or i will get the same performance?

    Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix x299 e gaming CPU: i7-7820x Thanks

    submitted by /u/TofigSH
    [link] [comments]

    how do you use dual monitors?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:15 AM PDT

    i just got a second monitor and i had some questions.

    do you use a tool like dual monitor tools or display fusion? or do you just move the cursor over to the second monitor?

    ty for any help

    submitted by /u/cookie_dough797
    [link] [comments]

    Looking For Monitor stand for 3 monitors: vertical and two stacked horizontal

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 10:23 AM PDT

    Hi Folks!

    I am looking for some guidance on purchasing a monitor stand for 3 27-inch monitors. I would ideally like it to be flexible enough to accommodate the configurations shown below.https://i.imgur.com/2yZUGBb.png However, the first configuration shown on the image is the more important to me at present.

    I will likely be adding more monitors down the line, so additional flexibility welcome!

    submitted by /u/theownist2
    [link] [comments]

    Office PC

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    So my friend has tasked me with building him an office PC, I've only ever built gaming rigs so am a little unsure on a few things. Obviously I need a CPU with an integrated GPU however what I'm struggling with is the fact he wants to connect 3x monitors to it and have separate images on each. Where do I start as motherboards only tend to have 1 or 2 hdmi / dvi outputs on them? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Prollion
    [link] [comments]

    Do any of you with 5900x see this large of a difference in temps between your two CCDs?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    I'm seeing a 12 or more degree difference between CCD 1 and CCD 2. This is under full 160ish watt load with an EK Basic 240 AIO but the large difference is consistent across coolers, and even occurs with the arctic offset mount. I have made sure mounting pressure evenness and thermal paste distribution are good. Of course having a difference between CCD's is normal, but is it typical to have a difference this large? Some of my cores are only hitting 70, while others are hitting 90. I've also never seen anyone with a CCD2 that runs hotter than CCD1.

    https://preview.redd.it/ktmgsjlyb4m71.jpg?width=1024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=39e62d49901f818c348e9c2ab0e9106125bb773c

    submitted by /u/leeproductions
    [link] [comments]

    Was curious if any of this is weird or bad. Although I doubt it is

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:21 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/jC3CVMf

    Edit: more than one pic. Mainly curious about the last one.

    submitted by /u/Uzidropped
    [link] [comments]

    Really in need of rig, but not sure if I should get a placeholder gpu or pay for new one.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:16 PM PDT

    I'm a software developer and indie game developer on the side and my 8 year old laptop just kicked the bucket. I'm devastated, I have no way to work now lol. However, I was in need of a major upgrade anyway. I've put together a pc build that fits me well, so I don't need help on that. The problem is the gpu. With the prices now, I don't know if I should get a placeholder gpu (I forgot the term for it but I saw it mentioned a few times on here) or just spend the absurd amount on a fresh 30 series. If I go down the route of a placeholder, which do you guys recommend? I do a fuck ton of coding and a decent bit of 3D modeling and rendering for my games. I also like to play games, but I have a couple consoles for that so it's not needed really. So, what's the best decision here? Alternatively I've been looking at just getting a new laptop but I don't know if there's a good one that'll fit my needs for under 2k. All help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Ameliagonemad
    [link] [comments]

    how do i choose the right gpu? without remorse

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    i'm thinking to buy 3060ti for cheap right now and then in the future to buy strongest newer cards...

    is that right thing to do?

    3060 ti for 750$

    3070 1014$ (i found one cheapest, other shops sell for 1500$, even 1900$....)

    3080 1622$

    i have 1440p 144hz without pc, i was thinking about buying 3080 but it doesn't feel fair or right because of price.

    so i stay with 3070 or 3060 ti... i don't plan on playing ultra settings, mid or high are enough for me, don't know which games yet.

    submitted by /u/Ability_Weird
    [link] [comments]

    High temps on 3080 ti

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 07:57 AM PDT

    Got a 3080ti recently, and it was really hot. Played cyberpunk and valhalla and it reached around 70-80c. I didn't wanna break this thing so I got some more fans (3-pack of LL120s) and an nzxt aio (kraken z63 (I know it's overpriced)) But cyberpunk still reaches 80c and I can't fathom why. According to the nzxt software it's only under like 30% load. Help me please, I don't wanna break the thing.

    Edit: Went back and played some more cyberpunk while having both nzxt and task manager open (they're the only ones I have) While running around and just playing the game went from 40-55% load. So that little mystery's solved I guess.

    submitted by /u/White_Wind137
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment