• Breaking News

    Monday, June 14, 2021

    Hardware support: Reminder: No memes, even in comments.

    Hardware support: Reminder: No memes, even in comments.


    Reminder: No memes, even in comments.

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 12:46 AM PDT

    This is a friendly reminder of Rule #3:

    Memes, direct image links, and low effort content will be removed.

    This includes both posts and comments.

    We've had an uptick in meme comments here, and while we mods do enjoy our memes - some of us actually co-moderate a subreddit for that, /r/hardwarememes - they're not appropriate for /r/hardware.

    While I might give you the courteousy of a warning, technically you can get a 1-3 day tempban for such things (depending on if it was a toxic comment or a just a jesting comment). So please... refrain from these sort of comments so we don't have to be Nazi mods, OK?

    submitted by /u/bizude
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA reportedly to boost GeForce RTX 30 production capacity by limiting RTX 2060 supply

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:31 PM PDT

    Yahoo! Finance: "Qualcomm ready to invest in Arm if $40bn Nvidia deal collapses"

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 03:23 PM PDT

    Best Pre-Built So Far: ABS Challenger ALI521 $1000 Gaming PC Review & Benchmarks

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 06:56 PM PDT

    Scythe Fuma 2 vs Noctua NH-U12S tested and compared

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I've just finished testing the Sycthe Fuma 2 against the Noctua NH-U12S for a website I write for (it was a review sample), and I thought I might share the results with /r/hardware. I'm going to skip over the filler material that's on the website article and get down to the parts y'all might care about.

    Testing Methodology

    I tested both the Noctua NH-U12S and the Scythe FUMA 2 in my home's computer room with central air set to 73F. Both coolers were tested using Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.

    I tested each cooler with unlimited power limits and an enforced 100w TDP with an i9-10900k (to simulate an overclocked low TDP CPU, such as AMD's Ryzen 5 5600x) using both the "standard" and "full speed" profiles available from my motherboard.

    Prior to testing at each TDP level, I would run AIDA64 CPU & FPU Stability test for one hour to soak the room with the heat generated from the CPU to ensure consistency in results.

    Acoustics

    The FUMA 2 is the quietest CPU cooler I have tested thus far. No matter the fan speed set, I was unable to discern the sound of the CPU cooler over the sound of the other fans in my case. In comparison, I was able to tell whenever the fan on the Noctua NH-U12S kicked in.

    100w TDP Testing

    The first tests were done with a TDP enforced at a 100w limit, because most consumers considering this cooler will likely be using a mid-range CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600x. Both coolers performed on par with each other - with the FUMA 2 winning some tests by a small margin, and the NH-U12S winning other tests by a small margin.

    When switching to the "Full Speed" fan profile, both coolers see improvements - but the Noctua saw better improvements, resulting in it outperforming the FUMA 2 by a small margin. However, it did so at the cost of a higher noise level - whereas I couldn't tell the difference in noise level using the FUMA 2.

    Graphs with performance numbers here ---> https://imgur.com/a/2iiDR0l

    No Power Limits Testing

    I also wanted to see how the FUMA 2 performed with a space heater under extreme conditions. In order to see how much it could really handle, I tested it with the i9-10900k - the hardest consumer CPU to cool on the market - with no power limits.

    In AIDA 64, both coolers thermal throttled with a CPU power consumption of just under 200w. The Noctua held slightly higher clock speeds, I would consider the differences to be "margin of error" as it only lead by 30mhz in "full speed" fan testing- or put another way it was 0.6% faster with 4801mhz vs 4771mhz.

    In Cinebench R23, both coolers caused the CPU to throttle due to thermals again. The NH-U12S lead here by a small margin (about 1% faster), maintaining an average of 4826mhz with the CPU consuming 221w of electricity in full speed fan testing. The FUMA 2 maintained an average of 4773mhz with the CPU pulling 207w of electricity.

    Graphs with performance numbers here -----> https://imgur.com/a/peOB8Ct

    Conclusion

    The fans included with the Scythe FUMA 2 have both pros and cons. Because the included fans are low RPM, no matter what setting I used for fan speeds I was unable to discern the sound of the CPU fans from the rest of the computer, which will be appreciated by those who want a quiet build.

    On the flip side, the low RPMs are also limiting the potential performance of this cooler - I imagine this cooler would perform better with higher RPM fans. I'll be exploring this further and testing the FUMA 2 (and other coolers) with upgraded fans in the future.

    I definitely recommend the Scythe FUMA 2 over the Noctua NH-U12 because it is a better value and cheaper at $60 USD, it is much quieter, and also has better upgrade options due to having 3 slots where one can attach a 120mm cooler.

    submitted by /u/bizude
    [link] [comments]

    Asus G513 Laptop With RX6800M, A Caution and some Hope for buyers

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 07:32 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I recently just brought this laptop, and I am sure that you guys all saw Jerrod's Tech review on it and the issue with the ram.

    Well, I can at least independently confirm that is the case. But it may not be purely ASUS' fault here.

    TL:DR if you want performance uplift, upgrade the ram and do it now or you may have a harder time getting the right components IE ram that is dual rank.

    First, a little background about me, I consider myself an advanced user that can do OCing and swapping out laptop stuff and deal with laptop drivers and ini edits to get them play nice with stock drivers.

    One big thing was that I was having stability issues with the laptop when it came to me in Apex, and well it actually got solved by ASUS right quick. By them nerfing the performance of the GPU... I did a post about this performance stuttering. https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/ny294j/rog_g513qy_with_amd_6800m_throttling_under_turbo/

    Note the attached 3dmark scores, 11041. But by the second day of me owning it, it had received some armory update that dropped performance in 3dmark https://i.imgur.com/VRCimOq.png . But to their credit, Apex legends under turbo mode / performance mode or my manual OC mode (30 watt to the CPU, 190 watt the system) no longer have that weird stuttering issue. Just that previously my stable FPS was 130 or so, and now it was 100 or so and can dip into the 90s.

    Now on to the ram, most of the leg work was done for me, as I saw the post on Jerrod's and when I received my unit I confirmed that mine indeed came with single rank ram: https://i.imgur.com/cIORJqX.png

    Given I was already planning for 32 GB upgrade, I went and looked for replacement and got some bad news. And it validated why ASUS had to go single rank.

    I wanted to use just some random kits, but people told me that these laptops don't have XMP (well AMP, but come on AMD...) profiles and that I needed to get better ram that can perform at stock 1.2V. Unlike the desktop board and the nicer BIOS of the saiger systems, there is no way to toggle that on. And that there is an industry wide push to use the cheaper chips that does single rank modules!

    I was directed at Hyperx CL20 DDR4 3200 ram, and well what do you know. In my research I found that even they are doing the single rank dealie now! https://www.reddit.com/r/HyperX/comments/mxwsyk/hx432s20ibk232_vs_hx432s20ib2k232/

    The key is that the B2 ram that is widely available and is cheaper on amazon (for example) is now using SINGLE RANK ram modules and will again be likely have less performance, I don't know exactly how much as I paid extra and verified that the ram I received is the original B version and is dual rank. https://i.imgur.com/p3UpfO2.png

    Finally, well and this is the result: https://i.imgur.com/NnZQbWu.png

    Post performance nerf, in my custom turbo setting of 30 Watt CPU and 190 Watt system with fans at 100% at 65deg C this now gets the performance of pre nerf on the GPU! The CPU isn't directly comparable since the pre nerf 3dmark was ran with turbo setting that I think lets the CPU do more. Rather than my own custom profile that I am now using.

    And here is the biggest thing, Apex is hitting 220+ FPS max (in firing range staring at a wall...) with it being stable ~150 FPS in actual game (130-160 fluctuation, but I see more 150). This is a HUGE improvement, never before had I dealt with a +50 FPS (50%) increase with JUST RAM UPGRADE.

    I would suggest that if you really are using this laptop, and other laptops like it (AMD R9 5900HX and 6800M) as a primary machine to look into upgrading the ram, and had I instead chosen to instead go with 16 GB kits (2x 8GB) I can likely get better timing as 32 GB kits are harder to make than those 16 GB kits with tighter timing.

    submitted by /u/theholylancer
    [link] [comments]

    (Anandtech) Seagate Signs HAMR Deal with Showa Denko: Secures Second Source for HAMR Platters

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 05:02 PM PDT

    Stabbing & Shooting a Custom Loop - for science! Aqua Computer LEAKSHIELD Review - Life Insurance for Liquid Cooling Systems | igor´sLAB

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 12:11 AM PDT

    New PC Gaming Hardware Reveals | PC Gaming Show E3 2021

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 03:35 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment