• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 26, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 26, 2021

    Posted: 26 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just bought a 6700xt for the price that I sold my used 5700xt from

    Posted: 26 May 2021 07:27 AM PDT

    A couple of reddit posts here alerted me to the madness, before that I just watched the GPU I biguth for 430€ a year ago climb up to 980€ when I looked for a friend this winter.

    For anyone not in the know: the new 6700xt has a slightly lower bus bandwidth than it's predecessor, the 5700xt. Otherwise it's absolutely superior.

    This however makes it hardly worth it for Miners, meaning that it's regularly available and "only" at double MSRP (around 930€ fir the default clocked editions). Still absolutely insane prices, but okay relative to the market as a whole.

    Since the 5700xt is pretty much perfect (for its original price point) for mining, that card is in high demand. So me and a friend made ebay Marketplace announcements (like Craigslist) for them and waited. He got lucky first and some Czech guy offered to come buy and exchange his mid tier 5700xt for a sealed founders edition 6700xt. Wow.

    He didn't have any of those for me so I was left without a deal until yesterday when an Austrian dude offered to come by and just pay cash if I can do a bit with the price. My annonce listed 1.1k negotiable. (a ridiculous price I know). I went down to 1050€ (was ready to haggle a bit) and he just said yeah.

    Wow. A decently stock overclocked 6700xt cost me 975€, a price I would have never paid if it hadn't been my "exchange".

    So yeah, try your luck maybe

    submitted by /u/Hobbamok
    [link] [comments]

    New pc, do i have to install windows if i allready have it on a ssd that im going to use?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 06:17 AM PDT

    So im building a new pc, and the only storage i have right now is an ssd wich is the only componnent from my old pc that im using in this new pc. Do i need to install windows on thsi new pc if i allready have it on my old ssd from my previous pc? Should i somehow maybe wipe the ssd? What do i do?

    submitted by /u/swag_monstah
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA GPU sucks for Linux

    Posted: 26 May 2021 08:33 AM PDT

    About me: I am student and programmer, newer play games on PC. Since I don't play games on my PC and only use my PC for Uni & for my work, there was no reason not to switch to Linux. Until now I used Linux on VPS or on company's server and became fan of it.

    Problem: As soon as I switched to Linux, I faced huge problems with Nvidia drivers. I tried alot of things and installed Fedora 34 multiple times with different Nvidia drivers (Open and Prope. Drivers). Since I am experienced Linux user and Linux community is so supportive, I tried to dive deep into the problems and tried to find the solution with the help of linux community but I gave up.

    I have AMD 5950x CPU and Nvidia 1030 2GB DDR5 Version. I switched from Wayland to X11 and installed the NVIDIA drivers and faced following problems:

    Boot time increased to 2 Minutes, Fedora 34 sleep problems, and.....

    I bought Power cooler Amd RX 550, built it into my PC, uninstalled Nvidia Drivers and ALL PROBLEMS GONE 😁

    I suggest you to not to go for Nvidia cards, if you are Linux user because you will only face problems like most of Linux users do.

    The problem is NVIDIA don't care about Linux users.

    submitted by /u/michealchoudhary
    [link] [comments]

    4x8 vs 2x16 Memory on a B550 + Ryzen 5 3600

    Posted: 26 May 2021 12:03 PM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade the momory on my PC. Currently running 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200Mhz. I want to know if adding another 2x8GB will be worse than getting 2x16GB and if so, by how much? Is it worth paying double for the 2x16? I will be adding the exact same ram sticks.

    I have looked around quite a bit, but the information is very vague and there is no straight answer to my question. I know daisy chain MBs (which my B550 is) generally prefer to run 2 ram sticks, but most answers on the topic refer to more powerful CPUs and people trying to reach higher RAM speeds. I have no intention of overclocking and plan to run at the factory 3200Mhz. Will I notice a difference having 4x8GB vs 2x16GB?

    I need the momory because I work with large Photoshop files with 50+ layers and my current setup goes to ~95% RAM usage with about 10GB being used by PS at about 30 layers, after which point anything I try to do gets slower and slower. Almost no gaming.

    submitted by /u/mystery63
    [link] [comments]

    Honest Question: Are CD/DVD-ROMS not a thing anymore?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    So I am thinking about upgrading my case and was looking at the options a bit ago. I noticed that most of the cases now days don't offer front access bays of any kind. I've had my current case for about 12 years and it's housed a few different builds, it's sturdy but quite large and very heavy. Since I recently started migrating my storage to SSDs I felt that I could benefit from something a lot less bulky and went looking for a smaller, lighter solution. But I noticed that most of them have no access bays for anything in the front. So has the tech world finally moved away from the disc format, in favor of portable media? I rarely use my BR-burner anymore so should I just not worry about finding something that could accommodate it? I'm an old-school geek but I've gotten really out of touch the last several years so I don't keep up much with the new trends unless I'm fixing or upgrading something. Then I notice the changes in the tech.

    After reading all the comments I think I am going to just invest in an enclosure for my BD-Burner and a USB card reader and call it a day. No point in limiting myself for the sake of two out of date pieces of hardware when there are far better solutions. Thank you everyone for your comments and perspectives. They are very much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/SweetPinkSocks
    [link] [comments]

    Won the Newegg shuffle, ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT and ASRock B550m STEEL LEGEND mobo for $1100

    Posted: 26 May 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    The msrp for the 6700xt is supposed to be 479 bucks, why is newegg charging 900 dollars for this thing?

    submitted by /u/matz107
    [link] [comments]

    Installed something on the motherboard while it was on a Anti-Static bag, am I ok?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 02:04 PM PDT

    So obviously i'm building a pc, and my case hasn't came yet but yesterday I decided to install the cpu and included cooler. Since I was just installing 2 things, I put the motherboard on top of the anti static bag, on top of the box. I have a MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max, and I wasn't on carpet while interacting with the mobo. I also but it back in the bag afterwards and the pins of the back of the mobo rubbed against the bag while I was putting it back in. I didn't connect any power source to the motherboard, and I just read that you shouldn't place a mobo on top of the bag, so am I ok or should I worry?

    submitted by /u/DemBuds0-0
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good PC for MINECRAFT

    Posted: 26 May 2021 06:38 AM PDT

    Hi guys, so I'm thinking of building my first PC, and I want to be honest, I'll probably use it mostly for minecraft!

    Now I think there's a big misconception about the game that it doesn't require a huge PC because of its graphics, but honestly as a person who has been playing for years I can tell it needs a pretty good PC with a lot of memory and a good graphics card if you're using shaders!

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Also before you make fun of me, no, I am not 12. I'm in college but I've been playing the game for years and the game is a big part of my life.

    submitted by /u/DependentAbrocoma6
    [link] [comments]

    Ssd need questions please

    Posted: 26 May 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    Hello i want to know if ssd with vram is worth it and if it is can you recommend some cheap one

    submitted by /u/zagrosplayzyt
    [link] [comments]

    IT'S ALIVE - MWUhauHAUhauHAaAa!

    Posted: 26 May 2021 11:12 AM PDT

    I've been making music on my laptop which is great, but I want a powerhouse as i'm aiming to get into video editing as well to make my own videos and stuff.

    It took me a little over a year to save up and get all the parts. The only part that isn't new is the GPU from my old PC.

    My first time ever building a PC, it took me about 4-5 hours, it turned on first time as well which i'm very happy with! A wee shame on my cat Dr Drake Ramoray though! He had to wait outside the entire time and was crying the entire time! I did go out to sit with him for a few minutes here and there though, he must have thought he was being punished for something, but I made it up to him with some dreamies and cuddles haha!

    Pre-build:

    https://i.imgur.com/4ohEEaK.jpg

    Pre-BIOS Flash:

    https://i.imgur.com/ADUl3s2.jpg

    IT'S ALIVE - Cardboard box was to stop the reflection on the tempered glass side panel:

    https://i.imgur.com/cNx4V74.jpg

    Diff colour:

    https://i.imgur.com/JA350cx.jpg

    Please excuse the cable mess coming out the back, haven't got around to ordering stuff to cable manage my desk yet.

    Specs:

    https://i.imgur.com/j9Zmtup.jpg

    I plan on upgrading to 64gb RAM, and adding another M.2 drive and a 4TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD over time to really get into visual design and creativity.

    Also need to put the hard drive cage back in, however plan to saw it first so that it hides the cables that have been tucked underneath.

    Sooooooooo now begins the endless process of installing everything!

    submitted by /u/KomitoDnB
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics card

    Posted: 26 May 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    i'm making changes to a pc because i'm gonna buy and idk if i want a 6GB or 4GB graphics card obviously 4GB is considerably cheaper but if the 6GB will be a lot better and good value for money do i get it for the extra like £140

    submitted by /u/gembick
    [link] [comments]

    Why I love my new 1050ti.

    Posted: 25 May 2021 08:34 PM PDT

    For a while my set up has been pretty average. An i3 9100, 8gb of ram, and a 1tb hard drive. But recently I was able to buy a 1050ti and I've never been happier. I was able to get the card overclocked for only 85 dollars.

    It runs games such as Apex and CSGO at just over 70 fps and only reaches temperatures around 70 degrees (I plan to upgrade cooling soon). Also adding dual channel RAM might impact performance . I guess the moral of the story is that older cards are still great options for light gaming and good deals can still be found!

    submitted by /u/iamthekirby
    [link] [comments]

    Worse performance after mobo replacement?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    A few days ago my mobo died and since I was happy with it I replaced it with a different one of the same model. Everything is working fine and I did not change any other hardware. On the initial run my pc posted and booted perfectly fine with no errors. However, upon trying to play games, the performance is much worse than it was before. I'm noticing that my fps is capping at about 74 on the games I tested when I used to get ~140 no problem. Is there something that I need to do after a mobo swap that I neglected that is resulting in worse performance than before?

    submitted by /u/davajimk
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS Nvidia RTX 2080i Turbo fan noise

    Posted: 26 May 2021 10:17 AM PDT

    I was having this issue where whenever I start a high-gpu-demanding games like Mordhau, Cyberpunk 2077 my fan would run really fast and the noise is too loud and works like that and gets noisy every 5 seconds or less which is annoying and I searched around people were recommending custom fan curves from the gpu tweak and I did that and It was finally fine, but I feel like I'm not putting the right spots/curves? can someone help a brother out and put the curves at the perfect spots ?

    PS: my PC runs idly with around 51 degrees Celsius, before the custom curve it was around 84 while running a high-end game after the custom curves it's around 78 is it fine where I put the curves then? if it's not getting higher temperature than this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Achluophilia
    [link] [comments]

    Would upgrading from a Ryzen 5 1600 AF to a 3600 be noticeable?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 02:02 PM PDT

    Assuming I keep everything else in my build the same. I build a budget-level PC last year and have been surprised at how much I like/use it.

    In retrospect I should have bought a 3600 then, but I was really trying to bring down the costs so I went with a 1600AF for $100. Looking at eBay, it seems like I can get anywhere from $120-$150 for my 1600AF with the box, which means the upgrade wouldn't cost me that much (assuming these eBay sold listings are real and not scams).

    My question is, is it worth the effort? I would ideally like to upgrade my GPU in the future, but would probably buy a used RTX 2060 rather than trying to be the latest and greatest. Obviously that won't be for a while, until things cool down.

    In terms of games, so far since I built this PC I've played MGSV, Death Stranding, Spyro Collection, Overcooked 2, Apex Legends, Yakuza 0 and some older emulated games. The only one of those I struggled to maintain 60fps was DS. I also have a 144hz monitor but I'm rarely able to take full advantage of it because of my build. Would upgrading allow me to play some games I can't currently play?

    Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TwGrK4

    submitted by /u/brandnewcardock
    [link] [comments]

    Is my budget build suitable for my needs?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 11:47 AM PDT

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better. Mainly for csgo and valorant, I don't mind having graphics set to low, I'm more concerned about having at least 60fps.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings) 1080, 60fps minimum, low to medium settings.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    Around £500

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    Scotland, UK. The parts I'm thinking of buying are an amd 3400g, motherboard Asus a320 or b450, corsair vengeance 16gb ram 2666mhz (2x8) I'm not experienced in pc building and I'm looking for a budget build that will give me decent performance for a cheap price previously I've played console at 30fps so 60fps will be life changing Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Time_Newspaper_9775
    [link] [comments]

    2080 Ti FE for $650AUD+Shipping??

    Posted: 26 May 2021 05:37 AM PDT

    So there's a Spanish guy who' selling their RTX 2080 TI FE for 650 AUD and he doesn't seem to know about the shortages, the reason for selling is because they're moved to laptop. Because they live 2hr 30mins away from me, he said he will get AUSPost to deliver it for 14 on top. He said that he will refund the money if it doesnt work for me when I asked

    Is this a scam??

    submitted by /u/Bettawatchowt
    [link] [comments]

    Refurbished monitors?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    The prices of refurbished monitors (like this one) seem really appealing. What are your thoughts on buying refurbished monitors?

    submitted by /u/Senses_VI
    [link] [comments]

    Is Ram Supposed To Look Like This?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 01:36 PM PDT

    Awhile ago my brother needed a ssd in his hp computer which had 16gb of ram. I put the ssd in and turned it on thinking that was the end but then no screen came up just beeping coming from computer. So a hour and a half later I had the entire thing ripped apart seeing what it could've been. Then I turned to Google for help because I was desperate found something about bad ram or something so I took out the hp stick of ram that came with the computer put it all together turned it on and found out it worked. A hour and a half wasted for ram.

    I asked around and my uncle said it might still work it might've just been the slot. Upon looking at and brushing my finger on the area it contacts with the slot I noticed it is not all flat. A certain area (left side) is all straight and flat but the uneven side (right side) goes down.

    Is this stick still alive? Here's a photo. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kHNSZ4CGehifEQvo9Ug9_as0r7m9jhr_/view?usp=drivesdk

    submitted by /u/sonnyboy678
    [link] [comments]

    Torn on monitor upgrade

    Posted: 26 May 2021 01:28 PM PDT

    I currently have the Dell S2417DG. Many of you might recognize the monitor, it was infamous for a color banding issue. I RMA'd my monitor twice before I settled on an acceptable one. In the end I learned a hard lesson, read more reviews and consider the negative reviews seriously. Thankfully I have learned to live with it and gaming is great for me with the 1440p 165hz and G-Sync I take advantage of.

    I've been eyeballing the new Dell monitor king, the S2721DGF. It is IPS, uses LG's nano-IPS panel and is also 1440p 165hz. It is G-Sync compatible certified which is a must since I have a 2080 Ti. I can pick it up right now for $300 with coupons. As far as I can tell this monitor is the best in the league including for color work. Once the settings are optimized it will be excellent.

    Should I jump on this? One of my hesitations is that I have been satisfied with the S2417DG once I learned to overlook the color banding. I notice it when watching shows and movies for sure, it's certainly unattractive. One of my regrets has always been that I went 24" and not 27". Also, at this point I don't know if there are any truly great ultrawides that won't cost twice this amount.

    Final question. I'm looking for advice on selling the S2417DG. It is truly in mint condition. It still has the protective wrapping on it which I never removed due to a little OCD possibly about scratches, original packaging and documentation. The monitor itself has zero problems with pixels, backlight, buttons etc. Could I hope to get $250 for my monitor? Maybe sell it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace? I don't think I need a secondary monitor unless you can give me ideas on how to use it.

    submitted by /u/Lichkaiser
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Hyper 212 RGB enough for a R5 2600/x with 4GHz OC?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 09:42 AM PDT

    I wanted to buy an AiO, but why spend so much when you will buy a budget CPU? So i will build a PC in 2-3 months but i don't know if the Hyper 212 RGB is really enough for an overclocked R5 2600 or x . I live in Berlin, so it doesn't get that hot here.

    Parts that i will buy: Case: DeepCool Macube 110 Mobo: B450 Mortar MAX CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x GPU: ??? (I have to find a random GPU) Ram: Adata XPG Spectrix D50 RGB 2x8 3200MHz CL16 Storage: Crucial P5 500GB NVMe Wifi and Bluetooth PSU: Corsair TX650M Cooler: ???

    submitted by /u/oPSho
    [link] [comments]

    Searching for good peripherals

    Posted: 26 May 2021 04:11 AM PDT

    So I am planning to buy me a PC but I want to buy the peripherals first. Is there someone who knows what he is talking about and who could help me in DM?

    I want a good monitor at first I am planning to play FPS games and Simulators/Arcades I want a 1440p 144Hz and more Monitor and 1ms reaction time

    Budget: 250/270€ max 300€ if it is really good. So around 300/350$

    submitted by /u/NOTTEAYT
    [link] [comments]

    Should i go for a 27 inch or a 32 inch monitor?

    Posted: 26 May 2021 09:13 AM PDT

    Hello so I recently wanted to upgrade my monitor and i started looking for better monitors than my monitor right now. I have 2 monitors both 24 inch and both are acer. My main one is Acer xf240h and the second one i am not sure, but its a 60 hz one. I am think of getting the Samsung Odyssey g5 in 32 inch, but i am not sure as i mainly game on it. I want to use it as a main monitor and i want to get a bigger monitor than what i have right now. From what i've seen most people say its too big for gaming, but i see a lot of people saying that it's ok. I mainly play rocket league, minecraft, league of legends, F1 2020 and i play valorant and cs go sometimes. My main question is do you think it will be that big of a difference have in mind i've never used any monitor bigger or smaller than 24 inch so i am really not sure if 32 will be too much. I 100% want to switch to a bigger monitor that being 27 or 32 so which one will you recommend me a 32 inch Samsung Odyssey G5 or a 27 inch monitor (still not sure which one if i pick the 27 inch). I also forgot to say i am content creator so that means i use a lot of premiere pro and photoshop, but still mainly games and watching videos on youtube.

    submitted by /u/ShadowBoxBG
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment