• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 28, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 28, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 28, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 28, 2021

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    After years of waiting. I finally built my own new PC

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 03:09 AM PDT

    After years of waiting for this moment, I finally built my own PC and it was an awesome (and a terrifying xd) experience. Thank you all for the help. I learned so much from you guys (r/buildapc and r/pcmasterrace) and by watching many YouTube videos lol. and was able to build it without messing up. I'll link photos of the build below.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/2iO8pc0

    The set up is complete now https://imgur.com/gallery/cBoBSpS

    Full specs and prices on the comments

    Edit: Thank you all for the kind words and awards, i really don't know what to say. such an awesome community.

    submitted by /u/SamBHR
    [link] [comments]

    If you happen to have a RX 5700XT, you can have a 6700XT for free a.k.a. how I just got my new 6700XT basically for free.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 08:31 AM PDT

    So once upon a time a friend of mine to whom I sold my old RX590 for 100$ in these trying times.. repaid the favour by telling me about the situation in the crypto-mining space.. People are legitimately trading better, newer cards for 5700XTs since the 5700XT mines faster and more efficiently.. I was skeptic at first but I hit one of the people up and he immediately told me the whole story about why he wants to trade and why's my card better for mining and stuff.. So we made a deal, I went across half of Czechia and my dude pulls up with a car, opens the trunk and it's goddamn full of 6700XTs and 3060Tis.. Like at least 20 boxes.. And he just goes "Well pick which one you want" so I grabbed a Sapphire Pulse 6700XT and handed him my 5700XT, he gave me the purchase contract with 2 years of warranty left and I went home with my free upgrade.. Which works like a charm btw.

    tl;dr: check online marketplaces in your areas if you have a 5700XT, they're wanted hard right now and can be traded for better cards with no add. payments.

    submitted by /u/Taboopulale
    [link] [comments]

    My brother is rockring with an 1050 ti and an i7 4790k

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 04:52 AM PDT

    I found a used 1070 ti yesterday on the market and just wondering if it was worth buying for 200$? Will I need to upgrade the cpu? I was planning on getting it to his birthday btw?

    submitted by /u/thisisnotapotato123
    [link] [comments]

    My new PC build is making me ill and can't figure out why :(

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 02:37 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    As a gamer and video editor I decided to take the plunge and build my own PC. I got a 3080, 3900x etc and the performance is unbelievable.

    But every time I use it for 2 or more hours I am ill the next day. I feel dizzy, a headache/migraine, difficulty concentrating, tiredness and fatigue. It seems to be much worse if I game intensively.

    The best way of describing it is like I've just eaten 20 dominos pizzas and 4 bottles of Dr Pepper.

    I thought it must be my new monitor, so I played around with the contrast and brightness but nothing improved it. So I bought a new monitor with anti-blue light features but that hasn't helped either.

    I would think it is screens in general but I'm fine if I just sit and work on my macbook all day.
    The PC sits on my desk next to the screen with the RGB, maybe that is causing me to feel sick in my peripheral vision?

    Maybe the fans are making an ultra high-pitched noise? (I don't know I'm getting crazy with suggestions now).

    Has anyone ever had this issue?

    The fact working on my macbook is fine doesn't make me think I just need my eyes tested.

    submitted by /u/SarahQGFB
    [link] [comments]

    I have an addiction to tinkering. I just finished my dream build and don't know what to do with myself

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 09:48 AM PDT

    I took me a year of getting these rare, expensive and amazing parts. I spent hours and hour researching, comparing and deciding. Now I finally put together my dream build and it runs amazing! It is everything i thought it would be and more. From the aesthetics to the performance "sweet spot", i was able to hit all my marks.

    I should be happy now and just play games/edit videos and do whatever I want with my new build. But for some reason I just feel empty now. I overclocked my GPU, CPU and Ram. I edited my fan curves to get the perfect cooling with the least acoustics. I wish there was still more to do im terms of building but there really isn't.

    Is there something wrong with me or am I too caught up in the process? Does anyone else enjoy the process so much that it eclipses playing actual games?

    My build: CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 FE Motherboard: Asus X570 Dark Hero Memory: 4 x 16GB Trident Z Royal Gold 3600Mhz CL16 Storage: 2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD PSU: 850W Seasonic Focus 80 Plus Gold Cooler: Kraken Z73 360mm AIO Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow Black Fans: 10x Coolermaster Master Fan MF 120 Prismatic

    submitted by /u/skymezy
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Ryzen 5 2600, the GTX 1660, and 16 gigabytes of RAM good enough for 1080p 60fps streaming?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 05:19 PM PDT

    Could these specs work for 1080p 30fps streaming? If not, what should I upgrade to? This will be my first build, and my budget is a bit tight.

    submitted by /u/CoIIino
    [link] [comments]

    RAM problem: 2 sticks or 4? And why?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 06:42 AM PDT

    Had an argument before and I'm kinda out of ideas. Should one install only 2 sticks of RAM or 4 at all times and why?

    Is there only half the bandwidth available when using 2 sticks? Does it even matter if the load is shared between 2 or 4 sticks?

    submitted by /u/rogermay78
    [link] [comments]

    What should I put under my PC?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:05 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I just built a new PC [except for a new graphics card >:( ]. And my new build includes an RGB power supply. This power supply aims down so that the fan blows air out of the computer, makes sense. I'm wondering what should I put my PC on so that it can possibly show the colors from the power supply. I usually keep my PC on the ground under my desk. But I like to put in ontop of something just in case of minor flooding or something.

    I apologize if what im asking isn't clear, not sure exactly how to word it. Hopefully I got my question across, feel free to ask for more explanation if you need.

    Thanks for your help / suggestions :)

    submitted by /u/SYK012
    [link] [comments]

    Screws for the motherboard

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    Me and my friend are building our first PC and we now have to screw in the motherboard. But when we looked for the screws it seemed that it did not come with the case. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/stinger-3866
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone won the Newegg shuffle without making a purchase from them in the past year?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 10:10 AM PDT

    I'm really curious to see how many people win. I've seen more and more comments talking about how their buddy has won multiple shuffles and they have bought things from Newegg in the past year. I know to take everything you hear with a grain of salt, but I didn't know if anyone has been tracking winners and their past purchases, as well as how many times they've won.

    submitted by /u/Cloudy-
    [link] [comments]

    What CPU and Motherboard upgrades to match my GTX 1070?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:51 AM PDT

    I think it's finally time to upgrade my CPU, and therefore my motherboard. As long as I've had this build, most games push my CPU to 100% usage while my GPU rarely hits 50%.

    I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a super high-end CPU because my GTX 1070 will likely bottleneck my new CPU and I'm not going to be upgrading my GPU for a long time.

    It seems like the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is probably my best bet for a processor but I'm open to suggestions. If the Ryzen 5 3600 is the right choice, what motherboard would you suggest? Are there any other incompatibilities that I should be aware of?

    Current Build

    CPU: i5-6600k @ 3.5GHz (usually overclocked to 3.7GHz-3.9GHz)

    GPU: GTX 1070

    MOBO: ASUS Z170-A Pro Gaming/Aura (LGA 1151)

    RAM: 16GB DD4 at various speeds idek

    PSU: 600W or something idk, I'm at work lol. I'll upgrade it if necessary.

    HDD: A bunch of them

    SSD: One of them

    Cooling: Some sort of liquid cooling system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Any advice would be appreciated. I figure I'm just gonna end up getting a Ryzen 5 3600 and a B450/B550 motherboard but I'm hoping someone will point out the flaws in my plan before I pull the trigger. Thanks for reading!

    TL;DR:

    Should I get a Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX to match my GTX 1070?

    submitted by /u/Whattup
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with Windows 10.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 05:02 AM PDT

    Recently I bought a pre built pc and it came with a sata ssd with windows 10 already on. But It only had 250gb, so I wanted to take my old hard drive from my old pc and wipe it and install it into my new computer. So I took out my new ssd and installed the hhd to wipe it. My question is if I already have Windows 10 on my ssd do I need to reinstall windows 10 on my hard drive?

    submitted by /u/InspectionCheap8172
    [link] [comments]

    Help with first time PC build

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 01:07 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I'm building my first PC!

    I want to spend around £1000 ($1,400)

    I mainly want to play MMOs (Elder Scrolls, Runescape, etc) but may occasionally want to play other games such as Warzone, AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk.

    I've put together a list on PC Part Picker: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hLspvf

    What do you guys think - and is the compatibility note on the list a concern?

    Also, will I be able to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with this setup?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/KeepItHealthy1
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade 2070 super with i7 5930 ,x99 deluxe , and 16 fb ram. Thoughts ?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    Title pretty much says it all, obviously not looking to upgrade gpu , but possibly cpu depending on what the x99 deluxe can socket. Already running a 1440p monitor but feel the i7 is lackluster.

    Will also def get 32 gb of ram as well. Just wanted some input on what Intel processor to grab, or I am interested in streaming part time , so possibly a Ryzen as they are better at multitasking? Also consider price I'm not looking to spend more than 500-600$ upgrading. Please don't hold back , if my ideas are bad , rip me a new one. That's why I am posting to Reddit right ?

    Thanks,

    Luke

    submitted by /u/Luk0re
    [link] [comments]

    Can a useless box mechanism be used in a PC?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    I am making a PC with a physical on/off switch. Can I use the mechanism from a useless box to turn the switch off when it receives the ACPI power-off signal?

    submitted by /u/Cheap_Document_392
    [link] [comments]

    My computer randomly goes from the desktop to BIOS on its own.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:46 PM PDT

    This has happened 3 times now, but has never happened while I'm sitting at it. The computer will be all booted up, idling at the desktop or even with browsers open and I'll come back to it being on the BIOS.

    I've tried googling it, but everything is just about booting straight to BIOS. Not going from desktop to BIOS on its own.

    Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? It gives me a mini heart attack every time.

    Build details just in case it's relevant to anyone's response:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j8rF9N

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/BackDoorBootyBandit
    [link] [comments]

    Still Learning

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 10:55 AM PDT

    After building my PC, I've stayed on this subreddit for upgrades and tips. Scrolling through all the comments on posts, I'm realizing that I didn't know a lot when I built my first computer. Yeah, choosing a graphics card (and getting one) is a big part of PC-building, but I had no idea about how to choose RAM size, speeds, and number of sticks. I completely missed the memo about AIO orientation to prevent air in the pump or how to choose a quality case with good airflow options. I got lucky choosing a motherboard with built-in Wifi 6 compatibility. These are things I just didn't think about when I put together my PCPartPicker list and started ordering parts. So to everyone giving back to this community: thank you because I'm still learning.

    submitted by /u/jobeid
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Died, can't find the problem. NO EZ-Debug LED's. MSI-Z390 A PRO

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    MSI-Z390 A PRO

    Have Tried:

    Running on barebones (CPU/CPUCOOLR/PWR/RAM/)

    Replugging all connections

    New Motherboard/New PSU

    Swapping RAM Slots / Testing one at a time

    PSU WORKS (Paper-Clip Test)

    CMOS-CLEARED

    POWER-SW Shorted

    No sign of power in the slightest. EZ-Debug not even lighting up.

    I recently tried installing a SSD into my friends PC. We didn't have a direct 6pin to sata female so we bought connectors to make our own. We ended up with a 6 pin to SATA MALE connected into SATA MALE into SATA FEMALE convertor. The PC would not boot, even after removing the SSD entirely. I potentially thought I killed the MOBO or PSU, but I've swapped them both out for brand new ones and still nothing. I'm running out of ideas before I end up just dropkicking the computer. Will have to wait a bit before I can end up buying another CPU if it is that.

    submitted by /u/ProlongedeyecontactI
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any benefit to overclocking your memory past your CPU's supported speeds?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:24 PM PDT

    I have a Ryzen 5 3600 which supports up to 3200mhz, but if I wanted to go up to 3600mhz, would that bring any extra performance?

    submitted by /u/BetardedRedditor
    [link] [comments]

    Easier to remove and install gpu or cpu?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    I have two prebuilt computers i was planning on moving some parts around. One of them has a 5900x cpu with a 3070 and the other has a i9-10900 and a 3080. My goal is to have the 5900 and 3080 together. The rest of the parts are pretty compareable so which part would be easiest to switch for a complete noob.

    submitted by /u/Dtownbooogie
    [link] [comments]

    I have a new prebuilt (custom setup) PC arriving tommorow. What can I run on it to check it's running at the level expected?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:20 PM PDT

    Got a new PC with a 3070 coming tommorow, got it prebuilt as it was the only way to get the parts.

    What software can I run on it to ensure it's performing all running as expected? Wouls like to test the CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD & HD including thermals. Would prefer to use freeware but will spend a few quid if needed.

    submitted by /u/TechnicalyAnIdiot
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on my first pc build?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:12 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm finally able to get myself a PC and I wanted to know if there is any room for improvement. I want to use this Pc mostly for gaming

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit MOBO: Asus X570-E Gaming CPU-Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150I ELITE CAPELLIX PSU: 850W Corsair RMx Modular 80+ Gold SSD: 1tb Corsair Force Series MP600 Core M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Case: Lian Li O11DX Dynamic

    For the graphics card I had an used 1080ti in mind, for as long as I can't get a 3000 series card...

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/SpeedyRogue_
    [link] [comments]

    Nvidia driver crashing on stable system.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:08 PM PDT

    I have a 1070ti Evga Hybrid running on an x58 platform. For 2 years I have had no issues whatsoever. 2 weeks ago my graphics driver started crashing, causes the monitor to start saying no input. This happens in a repeatable manner. Within 5 or 10 minutes of the card being under load.

    The first thing I did was boot to safemode and I uninstall graphics drivers with ddu and download Latest. I also disabled cpu overclock and video card overclock. It didn't help. Second I opened the card and replaced the thermal paste. Didn't help or change Temps.

    At first I suspected the card, so I swapped my wife's 1050ti for my 1070ti. AND REINSTALLED DRIVERS ON BOTH COMPUTERS. They have worked for 2 weeks. Gaming, videos, photoshop, rock solid.

    This made me believe it was the psu in my computer failing, as the 1070ti has a bigger power draw than the 1050ti, so I bought a new PSU and swapped back our gpus. My computer is still crashing out the graphics driver. At this point I don't really understand why it works so stable on my wife's computer but not at all on mine, where it's worked for years.

    submitted by /u/Cycosis101
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment