• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 13, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 13, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 13, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 13, 2021

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Howdy folks,

    As you may or may not be aware, the PC component market is reeling from a multitude of factors. Graphics Cards are extremely hard to come by, selling out instantly even at inflated prices and being resold on the second hand market for many times their original retail price. However the issues run deeper than this with a combination of Covid-19, cryptocurrency mining, tariffs, production limitations and other supply and demand factors coinciding to mean that finding graphics cards, CPUs and some other components has become incredibly frustrating.

    We all want to build great PCs, and right now it's hard and that sucks.

    We ask for your help during these shortages by requesting that you pay mind to the following:

    • We cannot predict when this situation will ease or end. No one has a crystal ball.

    • Don't ask us how to buy a GPU. You can read about others' experiences and see if you can emulate them with the time and skills you have available, but no-one has an easy answer. People are finding GPUs at retail and patience is one of the primary methods that yields rewards.

    • Some people might decide to use bots to assist them in making a purchase. On /r/buildapc, we do not condone the discussion, recommendation or advertisement of bots.

    • Please don't get scammed. This is a fraught market and fraudsters will exploit your desire to buy a GPU. If a product is being sold by a third party below market price in all probability it is bait for a scam. Never send money by bank transfer, Paypal Friends & Family, or strange cash apps you've not heard of until your seller suggests them. Engage in any non-retail transaction with extreme caution. Ensure any payments you make are covered by robust buyer protection. We will not permit topics such as 'Is this a scam?' or 'Did I get scammed?'

    • Do not offer to sell or ask to buy components in this subreddit or via direct message. Posts will be removed and posters banned.

    • Be kind to one another. Some people may choose to pay inflated prices. Other people may mine with their GPUs. Neither of those make abuse or harassment acceptable and we will take action against breaches of our rules concerning civility.

    In the meantime there are ways to build a PC now despite the GPU shortage:

    You could build a stop-gap system with graphics output integrated into the CPU or search for cheaper older used cards such as the AMD RX480/570/580 or Nvidia GTX 970/1060. Cards with less than 4GB VRAM are no longer optimal for mining and so may be more readily available. There are many possible solutions, and we're sure the buildapc community can help you if you need a PC right now and can't wait for supply to catch up to demand.

    To keep the rest of the subreddit on topic, please keep discussion of the GPU shortages, retail frustrations, etc. to this thread only. Other submissions will be removed.

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    My first "overkill" PC build

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 01:18 AM PDT

    I finished this build back in February but I didn't think about making a post about it until now... I went through one PC build and one PC upgrade before this but I've decided to build a whole new PC for this one because why not...

    I started planning my new build back in January and got everything except for the GPU in that same week then I luckily managed to secure myself the RTX 3090 at retail price on restock so I was able to finish my dream build that quick... but I love how it turned out <3

    Yes, I know the RAM is ridiculous but like I said in the title, it's an "overkill" PC build, if you have any questions just let me know.

    Pictures of build/setup: https://imgur.com/a/uf7kSx3

    PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C6vzwz

    Specs:

    • MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI)
    • CPU: Intel i9-10900K
    • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z Series Z73 360MM
    • RAM: G.SKILL 64GB (4 x 16GB) TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600MHz
    • Case: NZXT H710i
    • PSU: Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80+ Gold
    • GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090
    • System Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD
    • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 256GB M.2 SSD, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD & Seagate Barracuda 4TB Drive

    This build costed me around ~$5,000.

    This is my second time building a PC, I built my first one in 2019.

    edit - added my pcpartpicker link

    submitted by /u/jerryyy-y
    [link] [comments]

    Just found out that for about a little over a year now my 144 hertz monitor has been running at 60.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 11:06 AM PDT

    I'm gonna need a minute.

    submitted by /u/ChristianBlaketry
    [link] [comments]

    PC wont boot after cleaning. Please help.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 10:08 AM PDT

    I was cleaning my PC with this acoustic foam I cut a piece of. I unplugged the fans and took the ram sticks out. Dusted the case and the fans still some dust in there but better than before. Also unplugged my ssd and hard drive.

    Plugged everything back in and plugged it into the power bar and it flashed for less than a second then it turned off. I unplugged everything again and replugged but still wont turn on.

    I then started to unplug the psu cable and replugged it. Nothing. Took my gpu out and nothing but I see my steam controller light up and blinking so the pc has power from the power supply but wont turn on the pc.

    Please ask me questions and I will answer. This has been my distraction from my depression and it's been really hard to take because it's the only thing I have and it wont turn on anymore. Please help me.

    Edit: I took my pc to the repair shop and it cost alot. Had to give up couple of weeks of food for it but I hope it's worth. It. Thank you for the solution everyone and for the ideas. I appreciate your time for replying. Sorry none of then worked.

    submitted by /u/BlazedRain
    [link] [comments]

    I have a question.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 09:02 AM PDT

    Is it worth buying a Ryzen 7 3700x for 275€ and a gtx 1080 or 1080ti for 550€ and 600€ respectively?

    submitted by /u/Wizard_Pope
    [link] [comments]

    First Pc Build

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 12:04 PM PDT

    This was my first Pc build, it's has a i3 10100, rx 570 strix, 16gb oloy 3000mhz, and a h310 s2h mobo. Any ideas of what I should upgrade first, Ik my gpu needs an upgrade but besides that.

    submitted by /u/Oh_keyboard
    [link] [comments]

    Hey everyone

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 01:37 PM PDT

    I recently just built my brand new gaming PC.

    My motherboard is an ASUS PRIME B550m-a partnered with a RYZEN R5 3600 . Everything is installed correctly but for some reason it won't pick up my wireless internet . Please help !

    submitted by /u/Schlags
    [link] [comments]

    RAM choice for Ryzen 7 5800x

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:18 PM PDT

    I am at the point of choosing the suitable RAM option for my new PC. The options are as following:

    • 4 x 8 GB 3600Mhz C18 from Corsair or G-Skill
    • 4 x 8 GB 3200Mhz C16 from Corsair
    • 2 x 16GB 3600Mhz C16 from Crucial
    • 2 x 16GB 3200Mhz C14 from G-Skill (quite more expensive)

    I live in Germany and these are the options I find from Amazon. If anyone else who lives in Germany knows a better deal, I would appreciate if you could share it. Finally, I have done a lot of research and to be honest, I am a bit overwhelmed from information like the Micron Die from Crucial being not that good for OC, 4 sticks giving better performance and tighter latency being most important. As I am not an expert on this topic, I would like to ask for your advice and help. Thank you everyone.

    submitted by /u/joand001
    [link] [comments]

    Unusually Hot GPU

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 08:19 AM PDT

    I've been using this pc for about two months with no problems, until now of course. I'm using a Zotac Amp Holo Black 3070. At first, it would have no problem sitting at 35 C at idle. Within the last week it has been ramping up to 57-65 C at idle. I've been monitoring the usage while typing this. It's at 2% and ramps up to 100% every couple of seconds, and then drops back down. After about 20 minutes it stays at 30% and still ramps up to 100% every now and again. Just now, it goes back down and stays around 0% with the temps falling to 30-35C along with it. I am so confused why this is happening. Recently I installed Firestorm so I could change the fan curve to higher ratio. Do you have any idea what could be happening?

    submitted by /u/EverBread1
    [link] [comments]

    Building a high end computer

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:17 PM PDT

    Hello humans from the internet.

    I'm going to build a new PC targeting high CPU and RAM usage, and a few GPU usage for video editing and gaming. Below is what I have in mind so far:

    CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
    The only way to go.

    Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 (WiFi)
    I like having Bluetooth connection. Or there's a better option?

    RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3600mhz CL18
    I'll need 4x32gb sticks. This is my best choice so far, what you guys think? I saw that is good to have 1:1 ratio between memory frequency and infinity fabric. Having 3600mhz will work well for this? Never did any OC, but I guess I'll do with this build. Keep in mind that is hard to find 1x32gb sticks with high memory speed, and I'll need 128gb.

    GPU: Asus Rog Strix LC RX 6900 XT
    Maybe I could consider a 3090, but they're way harder to find where I live and way more expensive. The 6900 will do the job just fine. And since this GPU is also really expensive I might put her to mine. I'm completely new to mining, but if I understood correctly, this GPU would net some profit while crypto prices are this high. Speaking of mining I might give a shot at CPU mining too. Another think that I like about this GPU is the liquid cooling system.

    CPU Cooler: Asus Rog Strix LC 360 RGB
    To be honest, it's the best I could find available here. I'd go with Arctic Freezer II 360mm if I could find one, but that's not a big deal.

    Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB
    Like the way it looks, it's effective and clean. Also wanted to mount the GPU vertically... Would the riser cable cause any GPU throttle? Data transmission speed is 8gbps. I couldn't find the data transmission speed for the RX 6900 XT. Any help? And this case will be able to fit both CPU and GPU refrigerator, right? CPU refrigerator at the front and GPU at the top. Leaving room for 2 air intake coolers at the bottom and 1 exhaust cooler at the back.

    SSD NVMe: Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S2T0 2TB
    Probably going to have two of these and be done with this. Maybe adding SSD's in the future.

    PSU: EVGA ATX Supernova G3 80 Plus Gold 1000w
    Used this site to build my PC and it says that I'd need 626W. The way I always did, was to multiply by 1.5x to choose the correct PSU. This is the correct ballpark? I can buy a better one if needed (and if I find it to buy). I'm not going to run multiple GPUs, hard drivers, optical drivers. But like I said, will probably overclock a bit. Also, I'm going to need cable extensors?

    Where I can improve my build? My biggest doubts are about the GPU vertical mount, if it will throttle or not, and the PSU.

    Thanks for the help! Tried to answer all these questions using Google, but some I couldn't find the answer and others I couldn't understand the answer lol

    submitted by /u/kaoz1
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard recoomendations

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 05:43 PM PDT

    Hey all! I recently won the Linus tech tips / intel giveaway and got a golden sample 10900k and cryo cooler. I want to get a motherboard that can handle that chip for daily use. id more than likely overclock it a fair bit so I'm looking for a motherboard with decent to great VRM's. budget is 400 - 550/ 600 USD

    other parts being used:

    -rtx 2080 super

    -crucial 4400mhz ballistix rgb ram

    Thanks in advance, everyone!

    submitted by /u/ThingNasty
    [link] [comments]

    Why do SATA SSD and M.2 have almost the same actual speed?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    I know you might be confused by this title but here what I mean:

    I know that SATA SSD speed is limited by the speed of the SATA bus (600 mb/s) and M.2 (PCIe specifically) has almost 6 times higher speed (3500 mb/s). And it really does in tests like CrystalDiskMark.

    But when I watched real-life tests of these ssd types on youtube, such as Windows loading or game levels loading or launching software (Premiere Pro, for example) or even driver installing - in most of these tests M.2 and SATA SSD had almost the same speed - in 9 of 10 cases the difference is about 5-10% and only in some cases it was 50%. The funny thing is that in some tasks M.2 loses...

    I heard that NVMe disks have a buffer (7-10% of its capacity) and after overloading this buffer the speed decreases almost to SATA speed. But these tasks seem to be light and require no more than a few gigabytes, so M.2 SSD must handle it at maximum speed, am I right? Why is it not so?

    Videos that I link to:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mBHIHmnuQ4 (even with PCIe 4.0)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFocL98cCXw (in russian, because I speak russian, but it's the most detailed comparison)

    UPD. By the way, I want to buy an SSD for Windows (of course) and some software: who knows about VST plugins (I want them and their content to load faster) - what tasks can this be compared with?

    submitted by /u/Realchini
    [link] [comments]

    What cooler should I use for a i5 9600k that won’t be overclocked?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    Ok so I am building a pc for my mom out of spare parts from a previous build and I know this will be overkill for what my mom will use but I have a i5 9600k lying around that I figure I can put in her build. She won't be overclocking and if she even games it will be something really light, it'll be primarily used for internet browsing and email etc. I guess my question is will I need a beefy cpu cooler like a dark rock 4 for a system that won't even be overclocked? Or will something like a hyper 212 evo be fine?

    submitted by /u/noshizzy
    [link] [comments]

    Finally managed to get a RTX 3060 Ti, will those components go well with it?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 10:41 AM PDT

    Hello, I've recently managed to get an RTX 3060 Ti for a decent price, and I'm going to be building around it. I haven't really built anything before, so my knowledge on components isn't the best. I've managed to find all these components for a decent price in my country, but just want to make sure everything will go well before buying.
    CPU - Intel Core i5 10400F
    GPU - Gigabyte 3060 Ti 8GB Eagle OC
    MOBO - Gigabyte B460M DS3H
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 RGB
    SSD Storage - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
    PSU - Evga W2 600W
    Case: MS Titan II PRO
    Will there be any bottlenecks/incompatible components? Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Fastorrior
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth upgrading from R5 3400G to R5 3600?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 11:37 AM PDT

    My setup is ryzen 5 3400g rx 5500xt and 8 gigs of ddr4 2400 mhz (I'll upgrade the ram soon to 16 3000mhz.) But is it worth it to get the 3600 or nah? Also don't worry about mobo compatibility i've got that covered

    submitted by /u/ffexyo
    [link] [comments]

    Brand new PC worked fine for first hour but now boots to black screen with no USB power

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 01:07 PM PDT

    Played a game with no problems for a full hour, quit it and started to install multiple programs and then the screen went black but the computer remained on. When restarting, everything was fine for about 15 seconds but then it went black and the same happened. The third time I tried to uninstall Dropbox which was what was being installed at the time of the first black screen but then it happened again. After that, when booting the keyboard never gets power and while all fans and general operation sound normal, I can't get into the BIOS due to the lack of USB power. I can charge my wireless mouse from the usb though but that's about all that seems to work from USB (tried multiple keyboards and monitors). Any advice would be really helpful. Another detail is that the Ethernet is flashing orange which seems to indicate that data is being sent which makes me feel like it's some stealth windows update and the only other thing is when I press the power button in this state, the PC shuts off instantly (usually I would have to hold down the power button for about 5 seconds for this to happen)

    submitted by /u/awera
    [link] [comments]

    Can u ground and anti static mat and wrist strap to power supply?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 11:30 AM PDT

    So this is my first PC build and I was doing research on anti static mats and anti static wrist straps to prevent any of my parts becoming damaged. I was planning to build my PC on a wooden desk that is on concrete floor. As for grounding, I was looking to buy a anti static wrist strap and anti static mat, would doing all that lessen the chances of any possible damages?

    Also one more question about grounding, can I connect both my wrist strap and anti static mat to my power supply when it is plugged in but turned off? Many of the mats I was looking at had it connecting to ground wires, and all the wrist straps only have it connecting to the power supply.

    submitted by /u/alexis1286
    [link] [comments]

    Weird white spot on new gpu

    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 11:00 PM PDT

    I got a new gpu that I recently unboxed and noticed it had white spot on it. I just want know if it normal for gpu to have it and if it ok to clean it off?

    submitted by /u/Camozei
    [link] [comments]

    Do the timings for ram matter?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 03:03 PM PDT

    I was looking to buy Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB (2-KIT) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 DIMM Black (HX432C16FB4K2/32) but the timings of it are 16-20-20. I am pairing it with an i7 10700KF and Im unsure how much the timings matter. Is there a big difference between this ram which is 16-20-20 and ram that is 16-18-18 instead?

    submitted by /u/Aziel_tv
    [link] [comments]

    Worth upgrading ram speeds?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 03:03 PM PDT

    Going to be upgrading my girlfriend PC and I'm trying to figure out whats even worth changing.

    Currently she has 16GB 2133Mhz (4sticks of 4GB)

    She doesn't really need more than 16GB so if I buy new ram I plan to still get 16GB (2sticks of 8GB). But anywhere from 3000mhz-3600mhz. The benefit of this is ofc the faster ram speed and it makes room for future expansion if we want to upgrade ever to 32GB.

    But is the speed upgrade even noticeable? I have no idea how big of a deal it is. Should I just leave the ram alone and if the day ever comes where she needs more than 16GB then do a big switch?

    submitted by /u/TheNumberPurplee
    [link] [comments]

    Best wireless gaming headset for competitive gaming without boom mic?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 12:47 PM PDT

    Is anyone using a wireless headset and plays games such as CSGO, Valorant, Warzone, etc that requires good positional audio? What are some good options?

    Would prefer one that doesn't have a boom mic since it will be used with PC and I already have a mic.

    submitted by /u/sweatyom
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be a good idea to build my pc completely with an 100€ graphics card and replace it when the market is normal again? I am aiming for an Ryzen RX 6800 XT....

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 12:07 AM PDT

    If so which would be a good replacement?

    submitted by /u/MTtheDestroyer
    [link] [comments]

    Full upgrade after 4 years, any way I can make this better?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/94TbQD

    The case and CPU were gifted to me and I got lucky with the 3070 on BB a few weeks back. Any way I can make this build better? I feel like I can do better with the storage.

    Also, would the radiator of the kraken (240 mm) fit the top of the Corsair 4000x? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/happywaldo
    [link] [comments]

    Corsair fans beep after installing new motherboard.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:35 PM PDT

    Not sure exactly which ones they are as I ripped them from a case. Plugging the RGB into an x470-F board has the lights breathe in an out on a gray ish color and beep throughout the duration of the lights. Unplugging the RGB lets them work fine. I'll upload a video in a few minutes.

    submitted by /u/DanielTube7
    [link] [comments]

    Spots on acrylic GPU block

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 09:35 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, just got this Maingear Turbo delivered and noticed all these spots of what looks like build-up in my GPU block. Is this normal?? https://i.imgur.com/hJ5TS16.jpg

    submitted by /u/frankp0013
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment