• Breaking News

    Monday, February 22, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 22, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 22, 2021


    Simple Questions - February 22, 2021

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How to upgrade my pc under 100$

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 04:18 AM PST

    I have an 10 year old pc that just got ram but I feel like it could use a little more help, here are it's specs and tell me what you think.

    amd athlon 630
    ati radeon 3450
    8gb ram
    1tb space
    I have an ssd
    would like to run cod bo3 at barely playable settings(nothing over 60 fps on low) also open to just buy a new pc, but where
    Edit Thanks for all the support everyone! never thought I would 1.3 k upvotes

    submitted by /u/791290kr
    [link] [comments]

    1660 TI, is it good?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:54 AM PST

    I have a chance to get a 1660 TI and I was wanting to know if they are great cards from people who own or have owned one before.

    submitted by /u/Realistic_Cicada_156
    [link] [comments]

    First time upgrading a PC, should I upgrade my graphics card first or processor?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:42 AM PST

    I haven't even had a PC for a year, but I am looking to upgrade it. However, I don't know whether to upgrade my graphics card or processor.
    Graphics card = GT 710
    Processor = Intel quad core 2 Q8300.
    I am only looking to spend around £60 or less. Also, does anyone also know how I can decide to upgrade my GPU or CPU next time by myself?

    submitted by /u/dotdoteight
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to install a wifi card onto my motherboard in order to access internet?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 05:50 AM PST

    This may seem like a dumb question, but after last night, I genuinely don't know. I got everything booted up and plugged an ethernet cable into the board so I could start downloading drivers, but it said that there were no networks available.

    I know my internet was working fine based on other devices in my house connecting. But it got me wondering if I still need some sort of adaptor in my PC to access internet, even just via ethernet cable. I wasn't planning on installing a wireless card yet, but I'll buy whatever I have to to get it working.

    This is my first PC that I've built. If anyone has any answers, that would be great. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/mycatiswatchingyou
    [link] [comments]

    My first ever pc build, would appreciate some feedback before I start purchasing!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 10:53 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I've made my own parts list for my first gaming pc and i'm not really familiar with the specs that are required in combination with my GPU/CPU. I recently read that the next mid-tier AMD gpu (RX 6700 XT) will be released on the 18th of March and I wanted to try to get my hands on one (expectations aren't high :D). I was planning on pairing it with a Ryzen 5 3600X, but I don't know if this would fit well together.

    The full parts list can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wxx9p2

    The theme of my build will be Metal Gear, more specifically the one in MGS5. This is why I chose the Lian Li PC-O11WGC (https://www.anandtech.com/show/11378/lian-li-launches-pco11wgx-asus-high-end-case). It was not available on pcpartpicker so I couldn't include it in my parts list.

    Another question I have is regarding cable extentions; I couldn't find the full list of cables (pins) that are required for a pc build. The website I use doesn't provide a full kit so I'm forced to buy them seperately. I was hoping you guys could help with this.

    Feedback on the parts list is also appreciated. Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/tmbosweettooth
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a difference between overclocking through AMD software or changing XMP manually in BIOS?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:45 PM PST

    I've been looking to overclock my ram and I've seen a couple ways to do that but was wondering if there's any difference. First, I know you can overclock through AMD's actual software that comes installed once you boot up but I also know you can change the XMP in the BIOS. I'm just wondering if there's a difference because if there isn't obviously just having the AMD software automatically overclock my ram is way easier.

    I appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Majesticbeachbum
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X OR Intel i9-10900K CPU in 2021?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 05:45 AM PST

    Hi Friends

    Comparing these two CPU's the Ryzen 9 5900X is the more expensive CPU. Is it wise to got for the Intel i9-10900K CPU and save some money or should I go with the Ryzen 9 5900X CPU?

    My system will be having an RTX3080 GPU and will only be Gaming + Streaming (Simultaneously) and will be running video editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro and other software. Simultaneous tasks will only be in gaming and streaming and not other things. In Gaming, I prefer to use a minimum 2K resolution and 4K also.

    Are there any considerable differences between the two CPU's for me to consider the Ryzen 9 5900X over the Intel i9-10900K?
    Also on the userbenchmark.com website, i9-10900K CPU is Rank 1 and Ryzen 9 5900X is Rank 3.

    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/4071vs4087

    Please provide your inputs.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/sandy5599
    [link] [comments]

    My son wants to build a gaming PC, and I have no idea where to start

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 12:23 PM PST

    My son wants to build a gaming PC. I'm an IT Pro, and while I used to build PCs for myself and friends, 20 years in corporate America has left me with no idea what the hell to buy anymore. To give you an idea of the last PC I built, it was to run the commercial version of DOOM.
    Is $1500 a reasonable budget, excluding an SSD I already acquired? What component(s) should I not skimp on? What's the best video card that fits this budget? His two main games are something with tanks that isn't World of Tanks, and the newest Star Wars game.

    submitted by /u/WhiskyEchoTango
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I buy a new SSD mount/tray for NZXT S340?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 04:39 AM PST

    I wanna buy a second SSD but I dont have the second mount/tray thingy for it, where can I get one (in EU)? Also, do I have any alternatives? The hard drive cage only has 1 HDD, could I get an adapter or something and put the SSD there? If yes, is there any you can recommend?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/anathehedgie
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a pc and want to upgrade a few things for better fps and loading times but I'm pretty clueless and don't want to spend a fortune, any help would be appreciated

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:46 PM PST

    Is this a good pc for around 800$?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:44 PM PST

    AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB, 500W

    submitted by /u/Jbsmqp
    [link] [comments]

    Pc won't turn on after moving it 5 ft.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:42 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    Just need a little advice here. I built a PC at christmas and its been working fine, this Saturday I lifted it from the floor to the tabletop. I made sure to unplug everything correctly, touched the case to ground myself before moving etc. After I installed it on the table it just no longer turns on. The motherboard RGB lights light up, so does the POWER LED. The chassis power button and the on board pwr button does not work. What happened? I tried the PSU, paper clip test proved it worked. I took out my graphics card and tried to turn it on again nothing happened. I unplugged and replugged all of my power cables and nothing turns on, no fan spinning or anything except for the rgb lights and that POWER led. Anyone experience anything like this? Its driving me crazy. Here is my parts list:

    Mobo: Prime z390-A Ram: Corsair vengeance lpx DDR4 3600MHZ Processor: intel I9 I7-9700k Graphics card: Gigabyte rtx 3070 PSU: Corsair certified gold rm750x (750w) Fans: Noctua And an asus sound card and wireless card Case: lian li lancool II

    I called ASUS and they said it was my RAM saying it doesn't have great compatibility with the mobo, but I'm skeptical because it was working 100% fine before I moved it. Any thoughts? In going to buy new ram anyway because i only have two sticks, doesn't hurt to have two more.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Pretend-Thanks-1510
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi Motherboard Recommendations

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 12:05 PM PST

    Building my first pc and the motherboard I currently have on my build is sold out for around msrp. If anyone can recommend me a good micro-atx motherboard with wifi based on my build that would be greatly appreciated. (The one currently on my pc part picker is the original one I was planning on getting.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R2d7gt

    submitted by /u/Pangolin-Previous
    [link] [comments]

    What Upgrades should I get for 500USD

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 01:18 PM PST

    Hey Guys, I'm getting 500 for upgrades for my PC (no peripherals). So far I'm thinking about getting an NVME drive and a h150i AIO. What do you guys think?

    Case Corsair 220t
    CPU 3600
    RAM 24GB at 2300mhz
    Storage 1tb HDD 100mbs / 480gb SSD 400mbs
    GPU EVGA 1050 TI
    PSU EVGA Bronze 450
    Motherboard b550 TUF
    submitted by /u/Greshthecat
    [link] [comments]

    GPU thinks it's hitting temp limit.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 04:45 AM PST

    After a few seconds of mining, my GPU thinks it's hitting its temp limit while MSI afterburner, NVIDIA performance overlay, and HWiNFO are saying that it is ~50°c. Because it is think it hits its temp limit it starts to downclock.

    Is this bug or did I do something wrong?

    This started to happen when I realized my fans were at 100% speed while I was only hovering around 60°c. After seeing this I went into MSI afterburner and turned on the user determined fan curve.

    edit: after some researching, it seems like this is a common occurrence for some models of the RTX 3080. More specifically, the Gigabyte non-Aorus models. https://linustechtips.com/topic/1272756-rtx-3080-memory-overheats/

    edit2: after updating my HWiNFO64 to the latest version, it seems that the memory temps are indeed the problem. They hit around 112°c max which is just ridiculous.

    submitted by /u/anordinarynerd
    [link] [comments]

    Is packing paper esd safe to put inside a pc for shipping?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 05:00 AM PST

    I was looking into esd safe bubble wrap but that's a little expensive, I was thinking of using packing paper that I already have for this application. Technically I don't need to pack the pc inside since there won't be a gpu or cpu cooler installed, but it offers an extra bit of safety if something does happen to get undone it can't bounce everywhere.

    Only concern is esd since I don't know the properties of paper in this regard, but I assume it isn't an issue especially since modern hardware is so hard to kill with esd, but I rather just double check on here to get some other opinions.

    submitted by /u/WAZE_J
    [link] [comments]

    Will any b450 motherboard be able to handle overclocked ryzen 5 3500?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 08:41 AM PST

    I was thinking of buying i3 10100f but the 3500 really lured me towards it because though it is a little more priced than i3, but the motherboard for it would cost less.

    And I also want to overclock the ryzen 3500 and pair it with 1650 super. So since I am on a budget, I want to know that if I buy any b450 motherboard, would it be able to utilize the power 3500 has? I really don't know anything about overclocking so I really don't know what is needed in the motherboard to overclock the CPU. When I would buy them I would somehow learn to overclock from somewhere but I need to know what items to buy hence my question.

    submitted by /u/i_am_not_raiden
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for some feedback on my next build.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 12:18 PM PST

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    I am looking for one of the best computers that will last me about 7 or so years to play the most demanding games at maximum settings before having to upgrade again. However, I am looking for something that remains smooth rather than the highest performance, like, for example, my current PC isn't able to run raytracing, but if its for a smoother and playable framerate I would be willing to forgo Raytracing altogether. My current build, according to a recent benchmark that I did, is underperforming compared to 66 other computers of the exact same build. This is why I am looking to get a new build, and hope that this new one will be taken better care of. My current build was first put together in January 2018. I would also like to mention that my experience with building PC's is very limited, as I have never actually done it without the help of someone else who understood a lot more than I do.

    **If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for?

    1440p, 144FPS

    I am looking to spend no more than 3500$ USD on this PC

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    I'm purchasing in the United States

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    My current parts list

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    Some Notes: What I want to know when it comes to most of these parts is what brands are recommended and what brands should I avoid? (I've heard some pretty nasty things about MSI for example but I don't have any experience with them) I just would like what is best for this build, I don't want something that is going to explode or break easily or is a poor experience for whatever reason.

    More stuff I am looking for: For the CPU, from my own experience I determined my best CPU option to be the i9-10850k, but I'm open to other ideas too. A case that has two USB drives on the top of the case (my PC area is kind of small, so if the USB ports were on the front of the case, my legs could hit whatever USB drive is sticking out of the case, and I don't want to damage them accidently, but I still want easy access to them), I would also prefer to have a filter on the top of the case like in the following image

    The area of where my current PC is, so you can get a visual idea for the size

    Roughly 23 3/4th's inches tall

    Roughly 19 inches wide

    And roughly 26 inches in length (from the back wall to my computer chair)

    In comparison, my current case is:

    Roughly 18 inches tall

    Roughly 8 1/4th inches wide

    and 18 inches exactly in length

    I'm also willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

    submitted by /u/Shadowking78
    [link] [comments]

    What PSU size do I need?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 02:28 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    I am in the last phase in upgrading my computer and need help to descide if I also need to upgrade my PSU.

    Aiming for a 11900K and a Z590 to complete my upgrade in April.

    Running a RTX 3080, H150i, m.2 x 2 and some other basic stuff on a 750W PSU today

    Will that PSU be enough?

    I know we dont know all about the new CPU yet but some calculators online says 650W and others say like 1200W...

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks!

    Regards

    PSU-noob

    submitted by /u/Regreg81
    [link] [comments]

    9600K + 3080 = disappointing warzone FPS (80/90) at under 1440p

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 02:23 PM PST

    Hi all,

    As the title says 9600K standard clock, 3080 Gaming X trio and a Samsung M2 and for some reason I'm only getting 80/90fps in warzone rendering ~2000x1200 it was set to 80% of 1440p. Got most graphics on high, no RTX, shadows cached and a few things on low/off like bullet sprays and explosion effects.

    Considering I'm not even at full 1440p I was expecting more from a 3080.

    Here is a HWInfo chart from a bit of gameplay, I can't spot anything like CPU heat which makes me thing there is a problem, can anyone else? https://imgur.com/a/T9QWK3c

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/ironman12345
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Upgrade My CPU?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 06:13 AM PST

    Specs:

    GPU: NvIDIA 3080 (yep)

    CPU: Intel i5 8400

    Ram: 16gb Gskill

    PSU: Corsair CV650

    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1tb

    SSD: WD 256GB

    CPU Cooler: AIO single fan GameStorm Maelstrom

    1 case fan

    Mobo: ASUS TUF H310M Plus

    submitted by /u/GiftOfGod_SonOfFire
    [link] [comments]

    Never had a gaming PC before but my cousin gave me his old RTX 770 would this still games at above 30fps and not look completely bad?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 09:22 AM PST

    If it can work I'd like to use it until I can get a decent graphics card which seems to be hard right what motherboard and cpu should I pair it with without breaking the bank but still being decent and have room to upgrade in the future.

    submitted by /u/YaBoiRonin
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t get into bios

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 02:19 PM PST

    So a few days ago I finished my pc build. Everything got up and working great, and installed windows. Now today, I boot up my pc no issues and get into windows. I wanted to go to the bios but I am stuck on a screen telling me to hit F2 or delete. My keyboard is plugged in and lit up, but it doesn't work, and my motherboard is giving me an A9 error. I have an x570 Taichi and a 5900x. Yes, the bios is updated to support my cpu. And yes, I have tried getting into the bios through windows. Same screen. Any suggestions on what to do? Do I need to reset the bios? If I do, will I need to update it again to support my Cpu? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/robloxdabber69
    [link] [comments]

    PSU/GPU Upgrade.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 02:16 PM PST

    So I've had this computer for around about 6 months now and it's done well. At the time I didn't think I needed much more than just being able to run minecraft. I soon wanted to start youtube and do some editing for it. It can't really handle it as it doesn't have a dedicated gpu. The specs are:

    CPU - i5 8400

    RAM - 12 gb ram 2666mhz

    Case - Dell Case

    Storage - 256 gb SSD

    PSU - 290 watt dell psu

    GPU - Igpu.

    Mobo - Not even sure (just a dell mobo, but idk how to check what model it is)

    Now the first problem right off the bat is that it's proprietary motherboard. It doesn't have the standard 24 pin connector for a power supply (instead it has the 8 pin I think). I can fix this by buying an adapter. That problem is fixed. The second problem is that once I get a new power supply (since a 290 watt isn't going to work with ANY gpu) is that the case doesn't have an air vent on the bottom where the fan would go. That means the only other option is to point it up into the new gpu I am going to add (something like a 1060 6gb or a 1650S). I could void the warranty and make a hole, but would rather not. This is a problem I've been thinking about for months and don't really know what I should do. I've been through forums, articles, and youtube videos and have finally came to make my own post on reddit. I will be checking this post every few hours so I will most likely get to your message unless I'm asleep. Thanks

    - Future

    submitted by /u/oFuture90
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment