• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - January 26, 2021


    Simple Questions - January 26, 2021

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Did I just kill my CPU

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:53 AM PST

    Hi,

    I wanted to install a new CPU cooler. I took off the old cooler, took out the CPU to clean the old thermal paste of with 99% alcohol carful not to Touch the pins. I put the CPU back in applied new thermalpaste and put the new cooler on. Now the PC turns on but my screens stay Black. Ive checked every cable and changed nothing else. Should i take the CPU out and back in again? Can I do that without having to apply new paste?

    Edit: pulling one RAM stick out and putting it back in has fixed it somehow. Ty for all the help.

    submitted by /u/WeAlt138
    [link] [comments]

    2021 is the worst year to build a PC

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 10:58 PM PST

    I don't know for you guys, but for me, 2021 seems to be the worst year to build a PC. It is really frustrating to see how much over MSRP the Nvidia 3080 and the AMD Ryzen 5900X are sold in the online shops. If I want to buy this pair I have to pay 800 Euro extra, not to mention the atrocious shipping times. I am waiting now for almost half a year for prices to go down and no luck so far.

    submitted by /u/filisterr
    [link] [comments]

    After a week of troubleshooting, I can finally say I've built my first pc!

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:59 PM PST

    pc

    Complete setup

    Btw I know the cable management isn't the greatest, the setup is being upgraded to wireless in a few weeks and I'm bad at management in general so I couldnt do it in the pc well enough

    Also I got the ram brand new on sale for 25 usd, and ram prices aren't usually the greatest where I am, so I took the dealz that's why the build is black/red and the ram is white

    submitted by /u/56767656
    [link] [comments]

    Should I go with the 3900X or the 5800X? Have both in possession

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 06:01 AM PST

    Hello

    I am in a bit of a (happy) pickle. I have managed to get a 3900X and a 5800X. The 3900X was going for a ridiculous price so I quickly purchased without thinking too much (£235 brand new). The 5800X was also discounted but not as heavily. I am now in the position where I don't know which of these two CPUs to keep and which to get rid of.

    My main uses are gaming at 1440P UW 144Hz. I do work on my computer too (dev) and am considering some video editing (not 100% on this yet).

    I currently have a 3060Ti but may upgrade to a 3080 soon, 16GB 3200MHz RAM and an MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard.

    I have been offered a price which is roughly £50 less (EDIT: than the 5800X's return value) for the 3900X so how would the difference in savings factor into it?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/husthet
    [link] [comments]

    Water damage expert complimented my pc

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 08:21 AM PST

    Made my day after my kitchen and basement flooded. If your reading this by any chance thx bro.

    submitted by /u/instantur
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Gaming PC for a young kid

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:30 PM PST

    I'm in desperate need of help. Me and some of my friends are volunteering for an organization, and we have to make young kid's wish come true. His wish is to get a gaming pc and put the parts together himself. As the only person with any experience on the team (I've only replaced a few parts, so I'm by no means experienced), I had to choose the parts, however I have no idea if they're all compatible. I have added the link to a docs file with all the parts listed.

    Computer parts

    PS. We were planning on skipping No. 11

    Thank you guys!

    submitted by /u/ImFreshyy
    [link] [comments]

    How to Power my GPU?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:22 PM PST

    I was lucky enough to secure a 3070 from EVGA. There are 2 8-pin connectors on the card. I currently have a semi-modular power supply that has 1 cord with 2 8-pins on it. Can I use that cord or should I use 2 separate 8-pin cables to power the card? What are the downsides, if any, of using 1 cord with 2 connectors?

    submitted by /u/Yoosdude
    [link] [comments]

    3 DOA Motherboards; Bad luck or something else?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:15 PM PST

    I'd consider myself fairly experienced with pc building (I've built 6, 2 of which are my own). I've never had an issue with any of my builds except this one. I can't tell if it's just incredible bad luck or something else.

    I considered myself incredibly lucky to bag a 3070 for retail back in early December. This appears to be where my luck ran out however. I ordered the rest of my parts (5600x isn't too hard to get here in the UK) and looked forward to a new build.

    For my first build, I knew I'd probably have to flash the Motherboard to get it to work with the 5600x (MSI B550 VDH WIFI). However, the flash took literally hours, the LED never stopped flashing. I figured something was up so I decided to rma it. I got it from Amazon so I decided to return it and just order another one. Refund came through no problem.

    Second time I got a new motherboard (MSI B550M Mortar WIFI) from a site that allows you to pay £10 for them to flash the Motherboard for you. Paying £10 for about 2 minutes of work is probably not worth it but honestly I wanted the convenience. I figured that it would work out the box so I put together all the parts as normal expecting no issues. Build went fine, but when I went to turn it on? NADA, nothing, no fans no lights.

    I went through my checklist till I got to the point where I had all the parts as a test bench on the box. It still didn't power on when I shorted the pins. By this point I was ready to return everything and accept that the higher powers didn't want me to have a pc, but some of my parts were beyond return times so I decided to rma the motherboard again. Turns out the power delivery was fucked, so they sent me another board!

    Now for the 3rd time, I thought this has to go right. I managed to return the CPU so I could buy a motherboard where they install the CPU for you. They've tested the Motherboard (Same one), I've built this thing twice now this has to go right, right?? I do the same as before, and when I go to switch it on, it turns on! Lights, fans, GPU everything lights up like a Christmas tree.

    But then no display :(. I go through the same checklist, but then the computer posts when I only have one ram stick in. Therefore simple issue right? I try enabling the xmp profiles in bios, but it still doesn't boot with 2 sticks. I try the other stick on its own, it boots so it can't be the sticks. I tried the ram in A1 B1 and it boots, so now for the 3rd time I'm having to RMA the motherboard (and CPU since it's a bundle). They think the memory controller in the CPU is busted.

    Am I doing something wrong? Is there something like ESD? I don't have a wrist band but I make sure to touch the PSU before I touch the parts. Am I being too rough with the parts? Or am I just genuinely unlucky with these builds? If I could I'd return everything and give up, but as I said I can't return everything now. I'm considering seeing if I can pay someone to build it for me, I've genuinely lost all confidence in myself to build. Would any local computer store offer this service?

    submitted by /u/WaystarRoyco35
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 not hitting 4.2ghz

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:07 PM PST

    I recently got a Ryzen 5 3600 and generally it's been pretty great. Only problem is that it only boosts up to 4.1ghz.

    I have also noticed that the clock speed also varies instead of being constant, so it will hover around 4 - 4.1ghz instead of being locked. This happens when the CPU is under load.

    My temps are alright, when gaming the cpu temp usually sits around 65 degrees.

    Anyone able to help me out? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/vaylin945
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear XR300 or the best gaming router?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:07 PM PST

    I'm planning to buy a gaming router but I'm in a crossroads where I can't tell which is best for me because of all those marketing schemes.

    I'm using the router for gaming use only, I pay for a separate internet connection that has only one device on it so I won't have multiple devices connected only one and the connection is over Ethernet.

    Should I go ahead and get the XR300 or are there any benefits for going with XR1000 in my case or mention other if there are better alternatives.

    submitted by /u/xdico1
    [link] [comments]

    Which CPU is best?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 08:48 AM PST

    My current cpu I'm considering buying is a ryzen 9 3900XT but I've previously considered a ryzen 5 5600X. Which is the best CPU I can get that about £500 or under?

    submitted by /u/ShokKed
    [link] [comments]

    Help an idiot build a good gaming PC?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:08 PM PST

    Hey all, so I'm an idiot who wants to build a pc, but I got no idea how to, what to look for, etc. I went to pcpartpicker and I was just confused as to what I wanted. So I figured that I'd ask you guys for some help lol. So I want to play games such as Skyrim, and run a lot of mods. Games such as Overwatch and D2 as well as other big PC games. I would obviously want these games to run really smooth, minimal load times and great graphics. I was thinking that my budget would be 1500 CAD. Sorry if this isn't enough information, but any help would be great.

    submitted by /u/bubbes0801
    [link] [comments]

    What’s going on with my PC?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 02:04 PM PST

    I recently underwent and clean and rebuild of my PC, everything was in order and it posts.

    Now the problem is a powering one. Each night I shut down, and switch of the PSU by its switch. Upon flicking it on again, my mother board gets power (led lights on) turns off, gets power, turns off, then back on. Only Once the led lights are constantly am I able to press the power button the boot the computer.

    It's never down this before. The only thing different I did was an overclock of my CPU. What ever settings I changed would have my PC being to turn on then switch off, then turn on again after pressing the power button.

    Not sure what is happening.

    submitted by /u/kurtles_
    [link] [comments]

    HP and their power supplies

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:17 PM PST

    My uncle has been using an HP pre-build for his video editing for roughly 2 years. He's made the complaint that his program crashes when he attempts to play back stuff he just added in. Troubleshooting came to show that it was his graphics spiking then crashing it. Come to find out that it is an I7-8700, using integrated graphics.

    He scored a 1660 and we are looking to install it but clearly need more than the 180W power supply. I attempted finding a 400W off of HP's part replacement store. It has been ordered and not shipped for a few weeks. I also came to the abrupt realization the other day that the HP power supplies do not come with PCIe power connectors, where the 1660 requires it.

    My question of the day then is, would I be correct in attempting to cancel the HP power supply and looking at a standard power supply using a 24 pin to "HP" adapter cable? And if so are there any recommendations?

    Just wanting to get him rolling sooner rather than later (without errors) and was expecting graphics to be the real hurdle.

    submitted by /u/Biojack0
    [link] [comments]

    Planning my first build, open to any tips and suggestions!

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 01:49 PM PST

    Big time newbie here so be easy on me!

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/tL7Yht

    I understand that getting this video card without paying a crazy markup fee is pretty much impossible so I would like to know if there are any good alternatives while we wait for stock to come in (if ever...).

    Are there any parts that I could cut cost without lowering performance too much? I'd like to be running at a steady 100 FPS if possible.

    submitted by /u/cococryps
    [link] [comments]

    2020 4K Gaming Build - White, Black & Red

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 09:01 AM PST

    After not building a new computer for myself since 2012, the doldrum of suddenly working at home full-time with all the free time in the world inspired me to get back into PC gaming. Well that, and playing Doom Eternal on a whim for the first time (RIP my GTX 680) helped push me along too.

    Price was crazy obviously, but I wanted to go all in on 4K gaming. Spent about 7-8 months saving up for everything (being stuck inside for covid helped with that). Also at age 29 I figured this would be the last time for while I can justify a stupid expenditure on something so completely selfish and unnecessary.

    Knew I wanted to do a white build like my first PC but with a more elaborate, over the top aesthetic. Figured that was a perfect reason to co-opt my personal interests in heavy metal and occult-ish stuff.

    Regarding the 3090, I got it at Microcenter in October. To say I got lucky would be an understatement. It was only my 2nd try lining up and I got there an hour before opening. I was 2nd in line and they had 2 cards total. I haven't camped out a store opening since Halo 3 midnight release when I was 17, so that pretty much sums up the ridiculousness of all this stock nonsense. Best of luck to all in this brutal endeavor.

    Anyway, thanks for reading and looking. This community got me into PC building 8+ years ago, so I really looked forward to making this post.

    Images

    PC Parts Picker List

    submitted by /u/zen_7
    [link] [comments]

    Why does 90 fps on the Witcher 3 still feel very smooth, but 90 fps feels like absolute shit when playing games like Apex Legends or Escape from Tarkov?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:02 PM PST

    Is it just due to how well optimized the games are? I don't understand it. I'm running an RX 5700, R5 3600, 16G of DDR4-3200 CL14.

    submitted by /u/GheeButtetsnapps
    [link] [comments]

    My PC freezes when I have chrome running while I'm playing games.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:00 PM PST

    I like to have a twitch stream or youtube video playing on my second monitor while playing video games. Although running chrome on the second monitor freezes my whole computer and I have to restart my pc. If I dont have chrome running and I'm just playing video games it wont freeze. Any suggestions?

    PC Specs:

    CPU: Ryzen 9 3950x GPU: RX 5700xt MOBO: Asus x570 prime-p RAM: 2x16gb vengence PRO 3200mhz

    submitted by /u/_zxionix_
    [link] [comments]

    Can I plug this PSU directly into the wall or should I use a surge protector?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 06:21 AM PST

    PC underperforming

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 01:22 PM PST

    So i recently built my first PC and i have been having some trouble with FPS, for example on csgo i am barely hitting 200 fps sometimes and the frames feel choppy and stuttery. I also have pretty low CPU and GPU usage, both at around 40-50%. Feels like the graphics card is power limited. But i haven't always had this problem. It was good for a while when i had 500+ FPS. I used to have a rx 5700 xt but later switched it out for a 3060 ti but the problem still occours. Im starting to think its the CPU. Any ideas?

    The rest of my specs are: i5 10600K, 16GB 2666Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX B460-F and also Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 750W

    submitted by /u/Lyktes
    [link] [comments]

    Weird Residue/Mark On New GPU

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 01:21 PM PST

    Hey all I just received my RTX GPU in the mail and noticed some residue on the top of the card. Any idea what this is or if it will cause problems?

    https://imgur.com/YoW1m37

    submitted by /u/surreal6
    [link] [comments]

    Just installed a new GPU and now my HDD don’t show in BIOS???

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 10:13 AM PST

    I've just switched out my 2060 for a 3070, and now only my boot drive (M2) shows in windows and my BIOS!?

    I've not knocked any cables, my PSU is 850w so over the minimum, so I'm at a loss as to what's caused this!

    The board is an MSI X570 Tomahawk and the 3070 is a Gigabyte Gaming OC.

    Does anyone know what could be causing this?

    Help!

    submitted by /u/OakBee923
    [link] [comments]

    Is RAID on an AMD PC Possible (and Reliable)? Get a RAID controller? Or stick with Intel?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 10:11 AM PST

    Hello everyone I hope you're having a nice day!

    TL;DR: I am coming from Intel systems that have RAIDs with no hardware controllers, and have never had an issue having them set up or issues with them operating.

    Is it just as 'easy' to set up RAID with AMD CPUs and MBs? Is AMD RAID stable? Should I use a hardware controller?

    I am looking at an ASUS X570 MB. Not sure if that matters, as far as chipset features.

    I am planning a build right now, and I am definitely leaning towards an AMD build since I haven't had anything AMD in a long time. I want to see what all the hooopla around Ryzen is about :) The computer will be used daily as a video editor, as well as CAD (which doesn't have the huge requirements as editing the videos will)

    I'm thinking of having the Storage in 2 different "layers" so to speak. The first will be for the Operating System (Windows) and the programs, as well as video files (a scratch disk, if you will) for video projects I'm actively working on. These will be M.2 NVME type drives to get the absolute fastest performance, faster than normal SSDs.

    However, since it is a work computer, there are plenty of files that I will need occasional access to. I estimate right now needing about 3TB of storage for those files, and that will increase slowly over a few years. Some of these files are video archives, project documents such as drawings and specifications, and your typical spreadsheets, documents, .pdfs etc. etc.

    This 'secondary' storage is not as important to have access to with lightning speeds, so I am hoping to use SSDs in a RAID1 array (mirroring/redundancy).

    I have read (online, forums, etc. so who knows if it's true) that setting up RAID on an AMD system is not as 'smooth' as on an Intel system. I know it is smooth on an Intel system, because my current workstation is Intel and it uses HDDs for this long-term, secondary file storage, and the RAID HDDs are connected to the MB and there is no extra hardware controller.

    Is there any truth to AMD not being "as good" for setting up RAID? Would you recommend going ahead with it and giving it a shot? Should I also plan on getting a RAID hardware controller?

    And I guess finally, if it is "OK" to RAID with AMD, but use a hardware controller... any recommendations? I just want to have 2 copies of the data on drives inside my workstation (don't worry, we also have backups) and want it to be smooth, reliable and 'self-healing' in the event of 1 drive failing.. or as smooth as possible to rebuild the array.

    Thank you for your advice!

    submitted by /u/HurstCoupe
    [link] [comments]

    GPU Alternatives for my new build

    Posted: 26 Jan 2021 12:52 PM PST

    I have a 8-10 year old pc and I was recently wanting to replace everything minus the storage for a mid level average gaming pc.

    I was looking at:

    • CPU: Ryzen 3600
    • Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk Max
    • Ram: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 2x8GB
    • GPU: GTX 1660 Super or RX 5600 XT

    But now that Ive looked around and became aware of the GPU scarcity both these GPU's seem difficult to find for a good price.

    Are there any good alternatives in the same msrp range for the GPU?

    submitted by /u/Tianxiac
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment