• Breaking News

    Friday, December 18, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 18, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 18, 2020


    Simple Questions - December 18, 2020

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 04:07 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Regretting building a pc

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 01:10 AM PST

    WOW so I picked possibly the worst time in history to decide to build my first pc. I have had half the parts sitting on my desk for weeks now after having to pay a little more than normal price as black friday was just a complete scam, things only went up in price as I was constantly checking building up to it. As all of you know I cant get myself a new gpu. My monitor was destroyed in the post and got sent back too. Is anyone else having a complete nightmare or is it just me 😅

    EDIT: UK based for you guys trying to help me out with a new card. 3080 or 6800xt, thank you all.

    submitted by /u/Notta_Doggo
    [link] [comments]

    Fixed : WD SN550 was never detected on cold boot, would then be detected after sitting in BIOS for about 1 minute. Solution inside

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 01:02 PM PST

    Just built a new PC a few weeks back with a WD 1TB SN550 and I had this outstanding issue that just wouldn't go away no matter how many hours of troubleshooting I spent trying to fix it. Finally managed to get it fixed so thought I'd share the solution to spare someone else the headache of trying to figure out what's wrong.

    Whenever I would cold boot the PC, it would boot into the BIOS and the SSD was not detected. The way to get it to work was just to sit around the BIOS for about a minute and then restart it. All the drivers were up to date, SSD firmware latest version according to the WD Dashboard SSD application, BIOS version and all.

    Saw a few people with similar issues online but none of the ways they managed to fix their issue would work for me. After back and forth with WD support trying to diagnose the issue, the guy ended up sending me a firmware upgrade file to try and update directly through Dashboard and sure enough, as soon as I updated it with that file, the issue is gone.

    TL;DR : If your SN550 won't be detected on cold boot, contact WD support and ask for latest firmware file to update manually through WD Dashboard.

    submitted by /u/MrLefitty
    [link] [comments]

    AMD VS INTEL

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 10:39 AM PST

    So, I have a dilema. Should I go for a ryzen 3 3100 or a I3 9100F?

    submitted by /u/ItzzGishon1456
    [link] [comments]

    Steps after building PC?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 04:21 AM PST

    What are the steps after the PC is built? I've never had an actual PC before so I'm completely oblivious to how to download OS and anything extra that needs to be added!

    I've tried looking it up; but I can only find actual PC build info, rather than what to do once it's complete!

    Any help appreciated

    submitted by /u/katpeasx
    [link] [comments]

    My PC Smells Warm?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 07:51 AM PST

    Ok so I built a pc on November, I've been using it ever since. Recently like 5 days ago I started playing some Skyrim and I got a whiff of a weird smell. It was coming from my pc and it wasn't really like a burning smell, it was more of just warm ig. It's like smelling the warm air coming out the back of a ps4.

    This only started happening recently so I honestly have no idea what it is. I searched it up and a lot of people say that it could be the psu but the smell seems to come more from the motherboard area, I opened the pc and took a look around and saw no burnt cables or anything.

    The gpu was pretty warm though but when I'm playing it's temps don't go above 70 so I just don't know what it is, I'm still new to having a pc. I'm just worried that the smell is just a warning that something is getting damaged in the pc or damaged.

    submitted by /u/SurgeDoes
    [link] [comments]

    What would you upgrade?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 08:18 AM PST

    Hello! As the title says, I am looking to upgrade.. I am new to pc building and pc gaming in general. I am a mechanic by trade, so I love tinkering and upgrading things. I was curious where you guys would spend your money on an upgrade. I have ~$500 to spend and have been exploring all the options. I've looked at everything from GPU, CPU, monitor, to the case itself. I would love any suggestions on what you'd upgrade and why!

    I play WoW, RDR2, CP2077, Halo, Overwatch, Minecraft, Destiny 2, Astroneer, etc

    The build I have-

    GPU: RTX 2070 Super CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1x16 g 3000mhz Power: 750w gold Mobo: MSI B450 Pro Max SSD: Samsung 970 1tb HDD: Seagate 2tb Monitor: Sceptre 1080p 165hz

    Thanks in advance!

    -Harp

    submitted by /u/Harpua42
    [link] [comments]

    Woke up to a dead GTX 970

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 09:32 AM PST

    Hello! As the title states, my old school MSI GTX 970 is dead and no longer sending video via DisplayPort or HDMI. I'd like to replace it as it's approaching six years since purchasing it during my last gaming build. The problem is I haven't kept up much with the build scene. When I built it I gamed all night without a care in the world. I'm +3 kids since then and only have time for an hour or two here or there.

    Games I would love to continue playing without a hitch: CSGO, Rust, Rocket League.

    Other system specs:

    • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    • MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX Motherboard
    • Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150

    I'd love some ideas and options to replace the GPU to fit in with my current mobo and processor. Just a casual gamer wanting to keep on casually gaming...

    I should add that I'm assuming the replacement would cost me $200-$300 with the market the way it is currently.

    submitted by /u/MakeItWayne
    [link] [comments]

    Eliminate static charge...

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 08:58 AM PST

    Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a great day.

    I am in the process of planning my first PC build and I have already bought everything to build it on Christmas. One thing I am super worried about is shocking my parts with static electricity. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to prevent a static charge?

    I don't have an antistatic bracelet or anything, so I was planning on doing it and hardwood flooring.

    I would really appreciate the help, thanks.

    submitted by /u/LitUpSketcherss
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on Intel CPU's/mobo

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:39 PM PST

    I was originally planning to build a new pc 9 months ago so all the research I did was on the Ryzen platform as that was all the rage at the time and was cheaper. that turned out to be a complete failure as I kept getting bad mobos from MC and gave up, now I am going to potentially try again but now it seems in just the same year that Intel is significantly cheaper.

    right now the I-9600k is $150 , $70 cheaper than the $220 R5 3600 at Microcenter despite being a far faster CPU according to userbenchmark (21st vs 82nd fastest), plus can use cheaper ram I keep reading on here which could be another $20-40? in savings. are these rankings reliable and how do they relate to gaming output?

    The I-10400 is also $150 but ranked 38th in speed but is also gen 10 vs gen 9. I guess the 9th gen has less threads but does that effect gaming at all?

    Also, what motherboards should I be researching? I would like to get a 3000 RTX card in the future but will be using a RX 570 in the meantime.

    submitted by /u/DnWeava
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased the same exact Ram chips but the notches don't line up in my laptop. Can I flip one upside-down to make it fit?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 02:00 PM PST

    Pictures

    This is for my HP 14" laptop, and I'm adding in another 4GB Ram. The notch only fits if I flip the chip upside-down. Is that okay, or did I get the wrong chip?

    submitted by /u/lulzcakes
    [link] [comments]

    Delete everything from a pc

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 09:21 AM PST

    Hi, so I builded my pc 3 years ago but I think Is time to start over with it, I want to erase everything from it, like the first time I turn on. Start over, stall windows, drives, etc. But how can I erase everything? What do I need to do?

    submitted by /u/Cranzal
    [link] [comments]

    Snagged a 3070 and very happy with the results

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 04:23 AM PST

    submitted by /u/hatemyjob22
    [link] [comments]

    Might not be the right place, but I'm feeling.... festive and have a freebie.

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 01:40 PM PST

    So, i bought an Arctic 10 point fan hub on amazon, turns out I'm not actually going to need. Its currently in the post on route to destination my house. Anyone from the UK have use for it and want it?

    submitted by /u/Scotty8633
    [link] [comments]

    will this pc work? im confused

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 01:30 PM PST

    Hi guys! Ive been planning on getting a pc this Christmas. Problem is, im not a very techie person (trying to be but ya know) and have actually just recently started my journey exploring everything. I think I got a pretty good build put together, but Im not completely sure if it'll work and everything will fit :/

    I was hoping some of u guys could help me out! (any other comments are also welcome :))

    These are the parts I picked out:

    Intel core i9-9900k

    NZXT Kraken Z63

    Asus ROG Maximus XII hero (WiFI) ATX LGA1151

    Corsair vengeance RGB pro 32GB (2x16)

    samsung 860 evo 2 tb

    gigabyte geforce rtf 3070 8gb Aorus master

    Deepcool MATREXX 50 add-rgb ate mid tower case

    be quiet! system power 9 700 W Bronze certified power supply

    Windows home

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/poffieee
    [link] [comments]

    pc build

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 01:02 PM PST

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mRsZXb

    just wanna ask if this build enough for gaming, beatmaking and recording music, some vr and little bit of beatmaking stream. thankyou guyssss.

    im just bout to build it on sunday.

    submitted by /u/hhhaise
    [link] [comments]

    DRAM and CPU error ASRock motherboard

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:57 PM PST

    New build, all new parts, cannot figure out why I am getting DRAM and CPU error lights on

    ASRock B460 Pro4 LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard

    Intel Core i3 10100F Quad Core LGA 1200 3.60GHz CPU Processor

    PNY XLR8 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz Memory

    Everything else disconnected.

    I have done a Bios Reset. DRAM installed in A2 and B2 as per manual. Have removed and visually see no issue with CPU. Have tried single DRAM stick in all 4 slots.

    What's next?

    submitted by /u/Schtevo66
    [link] [comments]

    Should the BIOS be always be upgraded to the newest version?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 08:20 AM PST

    Read somewhere that new versions can cause problems.

    submitted by /u/Paradizee
    [link] [comments]

    Cant choose a case

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:53 PM PST

    I'm making my first build and I desperately need help choosing between the LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic White or the NZXT H510 Elite. I got the H510 but then realized I should probably cancel the order and change it for the Lian Li dynamic. They are both the same price and I'm not sure which to choose. I may add water cooling, but I'm not entirely sure. This is my build so far.

    submitted by /u/coreyrod
    [link] [comments]

    2nd M.2 SSD not showing in BIOS

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:48 PM PST

    Hi there,

    I've just finished my first proper build, and this is the last hurdle I am stuck on - any help greatly appreciated, I've scoured the web but cannot identify a fix.

    I have a Asus Rog Strix B550-E gaming motherboard - which according to the manual supports:

    'M.2_1 slot supports PCIe 4.0 x4 and SATA mode Key M design and type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices.

    M.2_2 slot supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode Key M design and type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices.

    When M.2_2 slot is populated, SATA6G_5/6 will be disabled.'

    In the M.2_1 slot, I have a Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVME SSD. This is working fine, and is currently carrying my OS.

    In the M.2_2 slot, I have a Sabrent Rocket M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 NVME SSD. This drive is not being found in my BIOS (or in Windows).

    I have put the Gen 3 drive into the M.2_1 slot, and it was found - so I know it is not the drive.

    I have updated my UEFI to the latest non beta version (which is also the latest version).

    I have entered the UEFI/BIOS in EZ and advanced modes, but don't seem to have any relevant settings to change to get the drive to show.

    I do not have any devices plugged into any of the SATA ports - so that should also not be an issue.

    Please give any advice you might have (even if it seems obvious and like something I would have tried already). Everything is perfect apart from this issue so really just trying to resolve it.

    submitted by /u/Battlespectre
    [link] [comments]

    The best monitor for gaming?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:43 PM PST

    Hello I'm currently trying to get a new monitor for between $200 and $350 and preferably 144hz thanks in advance since I'm replacing a 60hz monitor

    submitted by /u/Mystic-Dove
    [link] [comments]

    RAM for Asus X570 Tuf Mobo

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:37 PM PST

    Just recently received my PC and I wanted to change the RAM speed to 3200. When I tried it, my PC crashed and wouldn't post. Had to restart the motherboard and have kept the speed at stock settings.

    I've looked at Asus' Qualified Vendors List and my RAM isn't part of it. I search for those that do qualify but can't find any of them at Best Buy, Micro Center, etc.

    Anyone know what RAM would definitely work for this Mobo with a Ryzen 5 5600x?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/bhenriquez
    [link] [comments]

    Help plz.

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 09:31 AM PST

    Hey, i'm considering buying a gaming pc. I dont know much about building but i have learned a lot about pc parts the last week. I am considering buying a pre build pc, to which i have changed some parts to bring down the price. Would this make a good gaming pc?

    Phanteks Eclipse P300A Air Temp Glass Black ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti DUAL OC Intel Core i5-10400F Prosessor CM Hyper H411R ARGB Black Komplett Edition Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD ASUS ROG Strix B460-F GAMING Corsair TX650M, 650W PSU

    submitted by /u/Brunel69
    [link] [comments]

    New Build, what mobo for the ryzen 5 5600X?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 12:00 PM PST

    As far as I can summarise from looking at numerous posts, and more time watching buildzoid than I'd like to admit... I'm stuck between these few choices, I'm UK based and am building around the Ryzen 5 5600x which I plan to OC to it's limits. Preferably sub £200 and I need WIFI as I can't wire an ethernet slot to my point in the house. Only need the one Gen 4 M.2 support as I only have one gen4 drive so the whole x570 vs B550 is somewhat irrelevant.

    Board choices that seem the best:

    1. MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
    2. Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    3. Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX

    I'd have gone for the Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC originally but the lack of a front panel USB type c port has forced me out, as the case I have is the Lian Li o-11 dynamic.

    submitted by /u/Klarkeus
    [link] [comments]

    Case Alternatives

    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 02:07 PM PST

    I have been contemplating buying a Corsair 4000X as part of a new build but was disappointed to read that you can't mount a 360mm AIO radiator at the front with pipes at the bottom due to the cover at the bottom of the case.

    Does anyone have recommendations of similar cases that have the ability to mount a 360mm radiator correctly with pipes positioned at the bottom of the radiator.

    submitted by /u/skilledpigeon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment