• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 9, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 09, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 09, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 09, 2020

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Make sure your RAM absolutely clicks during the assembly.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    Inspired by yesterday's post about tips for building a PC. Wanted to share my story lol.

    TLDR; Make sure your RAM clicks during the assembly...

    So anyway... My new PC wouldn't boot, obviously. For days on end I was experimenting with different stuff, replacing CPU, PSU, motherboard, SSD, trying different combinations. My first PC build turned into a living hell for a month. And it was during the heat of COVID so no PC stores worked and I couldn't take my parts back for inspection. Then I mailed my RAM for maintenance (research and deduction led me to believe RAM's the culprit lol) to the PC store which is located next to my house (where I initially got my PC config) as they wouldn't accept it by hand due to COVID LMAO.

    I was on the end of my wits.

    The morning after, I made myself a coffee, steadied my breathing, determined to find the cure for my PC. That morning, I'd found out about this sub and I'd made a post, explaining my situation. One guy in the post suggested that the RAM is a "finicky devil" and that I should absolutely make sure the RAM clicks. Then it hit me. My RAM never actually clicked during insertion. It's not like I didn't push it hard, because I did, but obviously it wasn't hard enough. But unfortunately, by the time I'd realised that's it's probably the RAM that's behind this farce, thanks to the gentleman in my post, my RAM had already been shipped for testing. Can you bleeping believe that!?

    Then I waited for ANOTHER month for the the tests to complete, only to get my RAM mailed back to me with a note that it is functioning properly.

    Finally, I went back to assembling my PC once again. Holding my RAM plate in one hand, smiling at it, as you if you would to a respected adversary, I was finally ready to stick it in, and stick it hard.

    And surely enough the RAM finally clicked after I pinned it down. I proceeded to boot my PC, and for the first time, my PC finally got to POST phase and booted up!

    I died for this so you don't have to. Don't repeat my mistake :)

    submitted by /u/manusabyss95
    [link] [comments]

    SSD vs M2 vs M2.NVMe

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I'm a little bit confused between these. I want to pick the best option according to my usage. So wanted to ask here. As far as I know difference between M2 and SSD (or SATA SSD) is the type of connection to the motherboard. And NVMe is a way much faster M2 type SSD. Correct me if I'm wrong until now.

    I was considering to buy NVMe but a friend of mine recommended getting a regular SSD since it doesn't give so much of a difference to daily usage. Apparently high read/write speed of NVMe is only making difference for large sequential files (?), rendering stuff for example. I use my PC to play games and for programming. I mostly use game engines for programming so it takes ages to load my projects when I open editors since I store projects on HDD. I consider my projects and the games I play as little but many files so they don't fit to efficiently use the NVMe with it's glorious speed? Is this correct? Should I get regular SSD instead of NVMe? Or would NVMe make difference at least for opening the editors?

    submitted by /u/Layso
    [link] [comments]

    Check your M.2 Mode in your motherboard when you add a new NVMe card

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 03:56 AM PDT

    Just sharing my experience. I have a ROG STRIX Z370-E motherboard with 2 M.2 slots and the first slot already used. Today I decided to add in a new NVMe card, everything goes well until i decided to check its performance and it is showing way below its performance level. Check on the web showing that there is a option mode for the second M.2 slot, x2 and x4 mode and true it is, it was set to x2 mode. Changed to x4, ran the benchmark again, everything looks cool. Then I discovered 2 of my SATA HDD drive went missing. Another check online indication x4 mode will make SATA 5 and 6 not available. So I shut down everything, swap the SATA to 3 and 4, now everything runs good

    So if I had not perform a benchmarking after I add in my second NVMe card I won't had known it is running at half its speed as there are no warning or anything until I ran the benchmarking. There will be a huge posibility that I could run the drive with half its speed forever. Just sharing my experience.

    submitted by /u/CinematicFlight
    [link] [comments]

    Would you recommend buying a GTX 1080 Ti now?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 11:56 PM PDT

    At what price would you say it's a good deal? Would you say waiting for the rtx 3060 is worth it because of dlss ?

    submitted by /u/ilovemyindia_goa
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get into bios

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070

    MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus

    RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz

    So I've been using my PC for a few months now and tonight I went to access my bios to check some settings. When I tried to access it by spamming the delete key it loaded up a black screen on my monitor and wouldn't display anything. I tried changing the monitor input but that did nothing, eventually my monitor just went to sleep.

    I've tried clearing the CMOS, checking if I needed to update any drivers, but nothing has helped. My PC works fine every other time I try to use as long as I'm not trying to access the bios.

    submitted by /u/iAllosaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Built a gaming pc for the first time

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/tIEoiii

    Very excited to dive in! Ryzen 3600 Radeon Rx 5600 500gb M.2 SSD Gigabyte B550m dsh3 micro ATX DDR4 3600hz 16gb ram

    I have 3 intake coolers and used a cooler on the exhaust from the first case that didn't work out for me (shattered the glass..)

    submitted by /u/vanstabe
    [link] [comments]

    PSU makes a buzzing noise

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    I very recently (<1 month), built my first pc and I bought all parts brand new. Up until today, I haven't had any issues with my PSU (Corsair TX650M) making noise however due to some issues I ran into Ii had to reset my pc. After resetting I noticed my PSU made a quiet buzzing noise. This noise persists even when the pc is off and it still continues after the PSU is turned off from the switch. Is this bad? What can I do about it? I have a warranty if needed. I live in the UK and the plug for the wall is also a UK plug if it helps.

    submitted by /u/PineappleThaFruit
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 install + BIOS wont reconize NVME.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:19 AM PDT

    Using an Asus X99a 3.1usb motherboard. And a flash drive with windows 10. Screwed in the WD Black 750 and it isnt showing up anywhere even during the windows installation.

    submitted by /u/Damntakeiteasy
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble choosing a monitor.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    I have a tendency to overthink things and that is definitely what is happening right now as I am trying to choose a monitor. Quick precursor, I currently will only be using this monitor as a secondary for my laptop and to run my xbox through, but I am preparing to build a PC in the next few months. (Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and RTX 2060 GPU) I am looking for either a 1440p/1080p 144hz monitor, and while I have found many options in my budget (max $300), I just can't decide which one is the best for me. Everyone time I find one that looks appealing, I check the negative reviews and just get really discouraged. Additionally, I can't make up my mind on VA vs. IPS. I was just wondering if anybody here on r/buildapc had any advice/ recommendations. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Max26001
    [link] [comments]

    Some explain PCIe to me.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    I have very little tech knowledge(I'm only 14). Dan someone explain PCIe and how PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 etc work. And also the gaming benefits

    submitted by /u/thespitefulorange
    [link] [comments]

    Got a small GPU upgrade but it makes my build look so much nicer... Now I want a white cpu cooler too

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/srWBl6Z

    It's not much of an upgrade, 1060 3gb to a 1060 6gb, but it was free from a friend and I no longer need to play on mostly minimum due to lack of vram which is awesome considering that vram has been limiting me for the past 4 years.

    The best part about this upgrade is I also got one of the last expensive pieces to my gf's first non-crap PC, now all I need is a new case for my parts and she'll have pretty much my whole old build (which is enough for her games but not mine).

    Anyone have advice on some good white accents I could add? I'll be swapping to a Cooler Master Masterbox mb311l case with probably an rgb strip around the edges, eventually I'll get white RAM, but probably not until my gf needs an upgrade so I don't have a kit of useless ram laying around.

    submitted by /u/XiTzCriZx
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended CPU cooler for this build?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    So I sold my PC the other day and decided to build a new one with with plans to grab the RTX 3080. I just need help with deciding on what CPU cooler (AIR preferred) to grab for the build. Here's the link to my pcpartpicker list. Everything there was purchased already. I was originally looking at the Dark Rock Pro 4 but after some research I found that the GEIL RAM is about 63mm in height while the DRP 4 only has about 40mm clearance. Now I know the Meshify C can fit almsot any air cooler but the RAM clearance is messing me up.

    I'd appreciate help/recommendations on an ideal CPU cooler!

    submitted by /u/lvluffinz
    [link] [comments]

    An FYI for anyone who bought an EVGA card in the last 90 day!

    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    If you're like me and decided to buy a card ahead of the 30 series announcement and are strongly regretting your choice, consider this; EVGA has something called the Step Up program, where if you registered your card within 14 days of purchase, or buy an extended warranty within 90, you have the option to upgrade from your current card to a new one! It's not perfect, but if you wanna have a chance of getting a 30 series without selling your new card at a loss, this might help you out.

    Huge shoutout to u/dogeatdawg for bringing this to my attention. Hopefully this helps some of you who made a similar decision to me.

    Edit: This does only seem to be available in the USA and Europe, so it's a tad limited.

    submitted by /u/GraniteOverworld
    [link] [comments]

    Best Orientation for CPU and GPU AIO Coolers?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    I'm interested in a 3080 hybrid design with AIO and a CPU AIO cooler, both expected to be 240-280mm. I'm really liking the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Case. I'm working if there is consensus on the best radiator placement and fan orientation when you can't easily line both coolers up for intake at the front or bottom of the case. What would be the best orientation?

    Considerations:

    • This video has convinced me I cannot bottom mount an AIO Rad.
    • If it can be justified, any number of case fans is fine
    • I'm targeting a high airflow, low noise build ideally

    What do you think?

    Edit: Added Link to Gamers Nexus video

    submitted by /u/anynigma
    [link] [comments]

    1440p vs 1080p @ 120/144hz - what would you choose?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    My centre monitor is a 1440p @ 60hz and with my GTX 980m, I can't run many games at 1440p @ 60FPS and have to scale back to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (depending upon the game). This backwards scaling creates an annoying blur effect on the screen and loses all crispness which makes games less enjoyable.

    I'll be upgrading to the RTX 3080 series--but it seems like it will still be a stretch for me to try to hit 144hz @ 1440p in most games, no? Is 120 still going to be out of the questions or will I be a little safer there?

    I really dislike the scaling effect and am debating whether I should return to a 1080p display for my main screen. The downside is that I like having the 1440p display for work-related items.

    What would you do if you were gaming and planning on a 3080?

    submitted by /u/fiddlerpotato420
    [link] [comments]

    GPU comparison & analysis (3080,3090,A100,V100,1080,etc) for machine learning builds.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:30 PM PDT

    Tim Dettmers (a machine learning researchers from U of Washington with experience in ML from Microsoft) wrote an excellent analysis comparing the specs of the new Nvidia GPUs from the point of view of machine learning builds.

    https://timdettmers.com/2020/09/07/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

    For machine learning builds, the most important features of the cards may differ compared to gaming builds.

    In particular he emphasizes Tensor Cores and RAM more than gaming comparisons.

    submitted by /u/upgradhelpneeded
    [link] [comments]

    Help me fix my pc pleaseee :(

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    I am having trouble with my pc. It was working super fine. As it has been for months. Today I tried to turn it on and nothing happens (fans don't turn on, nothing). I have tried plugging it from multiple sockets and nothing still. All information I know is: power does go through. As the chargers and mouse I have plugged into the USB's turn on. When I unplug and plug it on, I can see a light on the motherboard turn on for less than a second. When plugged in, when I press the switch I can hear the power supply have a little click. Please help Edit: I also can't smell any burnt or anything.

    submitted by /u/LuciooOoF
    [link] [comments]

    GPU detected but not working

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    This happened when the HDD of my laptop stopped working and I went to a shop to replace the HDD, when the new windows was installed, everything went back to normal except the GPU, it gets detected in the device manager but it is not working. Only the integrated graphics was working. I tried updating drivers then sometimes it will say that the device is working properly until I restart and it will be back to this error problem. Anyone experienced this? What did you do to solve it? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tamiparkk
    [link] [comments]

    my rtx 2060 underperforming af?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    RTX 2060

    2X8GB 3200MHz

    R5 3600

    I've deleted all useless windows 10 apps, changed to maximum performance etc but still my fps is so low compared to some yt videos with same processor i have no idea...

    submitted by /u/retryui
    [link] [comments]

    Regarding the 3700x and Micro ATX motherboards.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:20 AM PDT

    I'm planning a build that i'll be buying the parts for over the next 2 years or so, i'm thinking a 3700x (in the event that the 4000 series Ryzens doesn't have anything for me), but I want to go Micro ATX, and am looking at an Asrock B450M motherboard to that effect. Will that work? Does it matter that i'm not going X570 or whatever if I don't really plan to use any of the fancypants features motherboards like that have? I'm just after some general advice in that regard, thanks to anyone who can help

    submitted by /u/drneroli
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to clone HDD to new SSD?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    Hi Everyone,

    I currently have a HDD in my setup for game storage, separate from my boot SSD.

    I just bought a new Nvme to replace my current HDD for game storage, what is the best / easiest way to go about cloning or moving the data over to the new drive?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/cup_cake_
    [link] [comments]

    Can not control aRGB fan via motherboard (Molex connector fan)

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    Hello!

    This is my first PC build.

    I bought 3 separate Gamdias aRGB fans (3 in 1 were out of stock). Each fan had a aRGB port and a Molex connector.

    I plugged in the 3 Molex connectors together into the PSU, and 2 of the fans to my mobo's aRGB headers.

    The fan runs, but there is no light! If I unplug the aRGB port from the header, the fan lights up.

    Can anyone please help me with this problem? I want to control the fans with my MSI Mistic software, but can't.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MGX625
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best website to buy prebuilts gaming pc?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    I want to buy a gaming prebuilt pc. I don't want to build it. I want a prebuilt. Budget: 1000$ full setup no desk no chair. Possibly 1200 but would prefer 1000$. Thank you and goodbye

    submitted by /u/BlacksmithPale9574
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment