• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 9, 2020

    Hardware support: My experience with the Keychron K8, a wireless mechanical keyboard

    Hardware support: My experience with the Keychron K8, a wireless mechanical keyboard


    My experience with the Keychron K8, a wireless mechanical keyboard

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Unit Specifications:

    • TKL Layout
    • Bluetooth and wired support
    • Bluetooth supports pairing between up to 3 devices
    • 4000 mAh battery
    • USB-C connection for wired and/or charging
    • Various Lighting Effects
    • The review model sent to us had Gateron Mechanical Switches, Reds - but other options include hot-swappable versions of both Gaterons and Keychron's Optical Switches as well as Blue or Browns.
    • This model had the RGB backlight, other versions include white backlight and RGB backlight with aluminum frame

    Keychron K8 Photo

    TLDR:

    • Good Bluetooth quality, no lag tested in my office at 20 feet away (YMMV)
    • As tested with Gatteron Reds the keys are comfortable, allow for fast typing, and are good for extended use in a working environment (I tested it in 10 hour shifts, 60%+ of which are spent typing)
    • It is RGB, but single-color options options are available - and if you don't like lighting at all, you can turn it off.
    • Sturdy Build Quality.

    What's in the box

    • Keychron K8 keyboard
    • Quick Start Guide
    • Manual (Not pictured)
    • USB-C Cord
    • Plastic Cover
    • Soft covering
    • Alternate Keys
    • Tool for removing keys

    Everything included in the box, sans manual

    Unit Setup

    Getting started with this keyboard was a breeze. The keyboard had a charge upon arrival, and so the only thing I had to do was to turn bluetooth on and use fn+1 to pair it to my NUC.

    Included keys

    The keyboard's default keys are for MacOS, so if you use Windows you may want to replace the command + option keys with Windows + ALT keys. It also includes grey and orange lighting and escape keys. Alphanumeric keys and arrow keys are light grey, other keys are dark grey.

    Comparison vs Nixeus Moda v2, Extended Usage Comparison

    I'm not anywhere near close to an expert on mechanical keyboards, but I spent extended time doing the same things using both the Nixeus Moda v2 (with Cherry MX Blues)- which I have been using for the past few months for both gaming and office work.

    60%+ of my job is spent typing things, and so I had plenty of time to test both keyboards out. For my comparison, I used the Nixeus and Keychron keyboards for multiple 10 hour shifts. I had originally switched to the Nixeus Moda v2 because I was able to type faster on it vs my previous keyboard, the ROCCAT 121 AIMO. However, it was less comfortable to type with during extended usage sessions.

    I used both the moda v2 and the k8 with a wrist wrest, and I found I was able to type just as fast - probably faster - on the k8 without any strain even throughout a 10 hour shift. The keys land fast and "hard" on the Moda v2 when typing, this results in some strain over extended usage in a work environment. The keys on the Keychron k8 have a slight resistance and a softer landing when typing. I was afraid I wouldn't like a keyboard with Reds, after testing /u/dylan522p's keyboard, but this is now my primary office keyboard. For gaming I find the moda v2 is preferable since I am not typing as much (strain isn't an issue) and the keys fall slightly faster.

    Typing on the keys of both keyboards is fairly audible. The Moda v2's MX Blues produced a slightly louder and sharper sounded, in contrast the Gatteron Reds on the Keychron k8 were softer and produced a more muffled sound.

    Bluetooth

    I didn't do a lot of testing, but I did test it as far away as 20 feet from my office NUC in the same room. At no time did I experience any lag, it worked perfectly without any issues.

    Lighting and RGB

    I suspect that most of this subreddit won't be interested in RGB, but I should note it has plenty of that. If you don't like RGB, you can turn off the lighting or turn on single-color lighting. Rather than trying to take a billion photos of the various options, I simply uploaded a video to YouTube: YouTube Video showing Lighting Options

    Conclusion

    I was originally worried I might not like this keyboard, as the only other keyboard I had used with "reds" I didn't like. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. In fact, I use it for all of my office work now. It's very comfortable to use even while working overtime. I will continue to use the Nixeus Moda v2 for gaming, as its keys are better for "latency" sensitive typing.

    My only "complaint" about the Keychron k8 keyboard is the lack of a 10-key, but if that's a deal breaker later this year Keychron will release a full size model, the k10.

    submitted by /u/bizude
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA might also launch GeForce RTX Ampere graphics card with 20GB of memory

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    AMD Files Patent for big.LITTLE-esque Hybrid Computing Technique

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    Same Laptop, Different CPU: Ryzen 4000 vs Intel 10th-gen Battle feat. XMG Core 15

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:14 AM PDT

    Huawei to stop making flagship chipsets as U.S. pressure bites, Chinese media say

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:01 PM PDT

    Mobile 64-Core AMD Threadripper 3990X workstation

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    IgorsLAB: Nvidia Ampere – alle Launchdaten, fetter Speicherausbau und AMDs Konter. Der Herbst wird echt heiß! [Nvidia Ampere – all launch dates, fat memory increase, and AMD's counter. Autumn will get really hot!]

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    ELI5-In enhancement N-type of MOSFET, why does pinch-off occurs when Vgd=Vt (i.e., Vds=Vgs-Vt)? Why not some voltage more than Vt?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    I know that, when we apply Vgs>Vth, the channel will be formed & it gives the path for the flow of electrons.

    When I keep Vgs>Vth and If I apply some voltage at Drain(Vds) with respect to source, then surely potential difference will exist between the source and drain & current will began to flow and as we increase Vds, the current flowing through will also increase. But when this Vds becomes equals to Vgs-Vth, pinch-off will occur. In that case, Vgd(pot diff between gate and drain) becomes Vt.

    Can somebody tell me, why this happens exactly at that voltage itself? Why can't it happen at When Vds=Vgs-Vt+1? or any other voltages? Why exactly Vgs-Vt?

    submitted by /u/BharataShreshta
    [link] [comments]

    Dell XPS 17 9700 review – a 17-inch laptop inside of a 15-inch chassis

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    Using a VegeHub for Plants and Soil Sensors

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    Discussion question: drawback to vendor power supply harnesses?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:47 AM PDT

    Large PC vendors such as IBM, Lenovo, HP use custom wiring harnesses to power workstations, usually reducing the number of wires. What is being lost when using for example a 14 wire harness as opposed to the standard 24 wire ATX harness?

    submitted by /u/ggfriess
    [link] [comments]

    Why does DRR RAM have higher CAS latencies (in clock cycles) as the RAM frequency increases?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    Is the bottleneck the giant mux/demux for the address select which keeps the absolute CAS latencies (in time) fairly constant?

    submitted by /u/JarJarAwakens
    [link] [comments]

    CPU centric legacy design is all wrong and needs to be replaced.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    Back in the day, the CPU and memory were separate. What we need is a new paradigm. That is cpu and memory are the same. That is the future. This would build up and create more robust designs lead to upgradability. No more bottle necks.

    submitted by /u/plucky26
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment