• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 07, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 07, 2020


    Simple Questions - July 07, 2020

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Never do what i did

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    I was a console player for about 20+ years and all of my friends have left over the years. After getting tired of constantly playing games solo, I finally made the jump to pc. Its been years since I played pc games (vanilla Wow at original launch) and didnt know my way around to build one. I went and bought a prebuilt system just bcuz i was too afraid to try and build my own pc from scratch. Its been about 4 months since I made the switch and I have completely gutted the prebuilt and put all of my own parts in it. Doing this has made me a lot more satisfied with the performance but I ended up spending double or even triple than what i would have spent had i just built in the first place. So if you're new to pc like me dont be intimidated. Theres plenty of guides and videos to walk you through everything. It'll be more worth it in the end in pretty much every way

    submitted by /u/Mr_Ch1ck3n-_-
    [link] [comments]

    My kid accidentally dumped a glass of water into my PC today.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    It happens. I'm not mad at him. He waited for hours to tell me because he felt terrible, and the look on his face when he finally said something pretty much squashed any anger I might have had about it. My main concern was how upset he was. I do wish he'd said something immediately so that I could have turned it off right away, but he didn't know any better, and I doubt that it would have made any difference anyway. He's probably apologized ten times today. He wants to help me fix it and offered to try and pay for it somehow even though at ten years old he obviously doesn't have the money for that. Whatever I end up doing, I'll try and find a way to let him contribute so he feels better.

    Anyway. I'm not sure how to go about testing the components to see what's fried and what's not. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dead (solid red LED, no POST). The good news is that this is a five-year-old build so it's not like it's my brand-new baby. I did spend a decent amount over the years upgrading things but nothing was ever super high-end; I tend to shoot for right in the middle of the price range on components.

    I'm basically going to have to start over with a new build, right? There's no hope of saving this, is there? I have no idea what might also be fried besides the motherboard, or how to test anything without a working motherboard.

    submitted by /u/wafflesareforever
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks to everyone in the subreddit I finally built my first PC!

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    After years of wanting to get one, I finally got around to building my first PC. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing going in and there's no way I could have done it without the help I got from everyone in this subreddit. Thanks especially to u/noiceturtle55 for giving me the build I ended up going with.

    My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/blakemadlad/saved/B39bhM

    I also ended up getting a set of RGB fans from Amazon for a better air flow.

    Here's the pictures of the finished product! http://imgur.com/gallery/MKVgdk2

    Edit: here's the link to the fans if anyone wants to see them or buy them for themselves https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0813V1M2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-m7aFb9TV5Y47

    submitted by /u/Blake_madlad
    [link] [comments]

    Note to GTX1070 owners, if your memory maker is micron update your VBIOS to stop crashes during games.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    If you're like me and have had the trusty GTX1070 for the past 3 years, but have been dealing with a intermittent crashing problem, do the following:

    == STEPS ==

    1) Check your card's memory manufacturer in GPU-z.

    1.5) If it reads Samsung. Stop. There's no benefit to doing this.

    2) If it reads Micron, go and download the VBIOS update from the Manufacturer of your card. NOTE: This is the OEM manufacturer such as ASUS, ZOTAC, PALIT, MSI, etc.

    3) Go to the software download page of your manufacturer, and find the exact model of the GTX1070 you have on there, and then download and install the VBIOS. It's usually a simple .exe that you run then restart. You can get the exact GTX1070 model from the GPU-Z page, among other locations.

    4.5) Don't worry, the update won't work if you already have the latest VBIOS. This is something you can check in GPU-Z and compare to the latest VBIOS available for download from the manufacturer of the card. (Troubleshooting note: Mine didn't want to update as I had some other install process going on in the background related to the graphics card. I needed to restart, run the .exe, and then it updated, then I needed to restart again.)

    4) Enjoy the improved performance and expanded overclocking headroom.

    5) Facepalm for not doing this in 2016/2017.

    == == ==

    Don't delay. This one stupid update changed my experience from constant intermittent crashing every 1-3 hours in all games (sometimes more often), to zero in the last week.

    Imagine if I had actually gotten to enjoy my nice graphics card when it was fresh. Oh well.

    submitted by /u/Rand_alThor_
    [link] [comments]

    My first PC build ever (Specs and image link in comments). Thanks to this community.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    Links to the image album: https://imgur.com/a/jhSb0kR

    Specs:

    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

    Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

    RAM: Aorus RGB Memory (8GB X 2) 3600MHz + 2 RGB infused dummy sticks

    GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8GB

    AIO Cooler: Deepcool Castle 360 RGB V2

    SSD: Adata XPG Spectrix 256 GB NVMe

    HDD: Toshiba P300 2TB 7200 RPM

    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W

    Cabinet: Thermaltake Core P3 Toughened Glass

    Peripherals:

    Monitor: Acer Nitro VG240YP IPS 144Hz 1080p Monitor

    Mouse: Redgear X13 Gaming Mouse

    Keyboard: Zebronics Max Pro Gaming Keyboard

    My father got me a laptop (with no dedicated graphics card) in my 1st year of engineering in 2010 and I used it till 2015. I used to play some light games with it and then the laptop gave up. Now I have job and I finally decided to build my gaming PC (since there is nothing else to do during the lockdown). I had some doubts in component selection as well as during the build process and this community helped me solve those doubts. Thanks to each and every member of this community.

    submitted by /u/ysahil92
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade from a RX580 8GB

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    I have a pretty decent pc built for gaming and im super happy with it all around. i dont stream or record really other than the 30 second xbox recordings but 32gb or ram a ryzen 5 3600 and the rx580 8gb are great for what i need. i was wondering though if i could upgrade the graphics card and squeeze some more out of it. its liquid cooled and ive never seen the processor above 50c in rdr2 on max settings allowed by the GPU. i was wondering if going RTX would be a waste or maybe something a little better the the 580. would the processor bottleneck anything better? im looking for recommendations as what to look for anything helps.

    submitted by /u/Totchahaki
    [link] [comments]

    My first build

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    Hi Everyone. I'm currently planning my first ever build. I am designing a gaming desktop that will also be used for working at home, which every now and again may require rendering 3D models of buildings. Can you provide feedback on the parts and pieces I have picked out? My friend who is helping me was concerned about the fit of the fan. Let me know if you have any comments / feedback! Thanks so much for any guidance.

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($139.00 @ Amazon)

    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ B&H)

    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)

    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($178.99 @ Newegg)

    Storage: Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)

    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB AORUS Video Card ($589.99 @ B&H)

    Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ B&H)

    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($141.99 @ Amazon)

    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.99 @ Amazon)

    Monitor: AOC CU34G2X/BK 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor

    EDIT:::

    THE RYZEN is actually listed at $429, but when i copied from the list this morning it had a scammed $ amount listed from amazon. I'm planning for the $429 purchase.

    submitted by /u/Maleman22
    [link] [comments]

    GTX 1080 still good in 2020?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    Found a really good deal on a GTX 1080, and I was wondering if it's still worth buying at this day and age.

    submitted by /u/ICG_Yazawa
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have any opinions on my parts list.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:24 AM PDT

    Hi, I am building my very first PC in less that a month and decided to post here because I am not entirely sure if this is good.

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9sTwsk

    The reason I have picked the Ryzen 5 3600 and an X570 board is because with all the new processors coming out i decided to buy this one and then maybe buy something better later on and decided to get an X570 board because if I do end up buying a 4th gen Ryzen processor then the motherboard will be ready to handle it. The graphics is also coming out of my current PC since I think that it is still capable of gaming. If anyone thinks there is anything wrong with my list or what I have said, please tell me!

    submitted by /u/lebruh0
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 1600 (or Ryzen 5 3600) + GeForce GTX 1660 Super: What kind of performance would I get? (sub $800/$700 budget)

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    Here's the PCPP links: Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 3600

    Is anything in that build sub-optimal? I don't really know what I'm doing tbh. I'm wanting to budget less than $800, or even less than $700 depending on the performance gap. Should I go with another GPU?

    I'd probably go with the Ryzen 5 3600 if the $70 difference is worth it.

    This is for 1080p gaming at 144fps, or 240fps if the build can get that high.

    I'd want max FPS on comp games like: CSGO, Valorant, Fortnite, Warzone, LoL

    I'd want good graphics and high-ish (~100) for games like: RDR2, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk(?), GTA5, and other single player and non-competitive games.

    • What kind of FPS could I get on those games at low, med, and high settings?
    • Should I go with any other parts?
    • How easy/cheap would it be to upgrade in the future? When i want a better GPU?
    submitted by /u/AragornSnow
    [link] [comments]

    Help Make This $1200+ Build Cheaper

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kPPmMc

    I'd appreciate some help making this build cheaper without sacrificing too much performance. The range I'm looking for is $1000-$1100

    submitted by /u/bob532550
    [link] [comments]

    Should I connect my computer monitor by using a VGA port or a HDMI ? Which gives better output ? Great quality

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Be honest, with the new generation of consoles on the near horizon, is this a bad time to build a pc from a power standpoint?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    Purely from a technical power standpoint, is this a bad time to get into building a PC?

    The alleged specs of the Series X and PS5 seem pretty good, and they are 5 months away, especially with that alleged crazy SSD on the ps5. It seems like for $500 right now, you couldn't build a PC on the same level or even close to the PS5.

    I know PC always surpasses consoles eventually, but would building one right at the start of a console generation's cycle be a bad idea, assuming that there will be a fairly big leap in PC tech just a year or so later?

    Just don't want to build one and then a year later regret my timing. I'd rather wait if that's the right choice.

    submitted by /u/enrutconk
    [link] [comments]

    Cpu cooler, is it worth upgrading

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    I currently have the stock cooler for my 3600x I have good temps but high noise is it worth it switching to an aio

    submitted by /u/markand4
    [link] [comments]

    Buying 2nd hand cpu

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    So i found a ryzen 3 1200 for 60 bucks, should i hop on that or? It is used but apparently for only a month and comes with the box and its stock cooler

    submitted by /u/dontattm3
    [link] [comments]

    When will PC components return to normal pricing?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    I know this can't actually be determined, just looking for some opinions....I have been looking at building a PC and some of the parts prices (peticularly motherboards and power supplies) are just criminal. Many things are just plain sold-out Looking at Amazon it seems they expect a lot of this stuff mid-July or August. Is this when the container ships from China are all expected to arrive?

    submitted by /u/Yprahs
    [link] [comments]

    Work PC - Looking for critiques

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    PC will be used for photo editing, graphic design, video editing, and 3d modeling. Priority in that order. Specifically Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop, Skylum Luminar 4, Affinity Designer/Photo, Davinci Resolve, Fusion 360.

    Current PC is pretty old and is a i5 3750k, 8GB of RAM, Radeon HD 7850, a 1TB HDD as a main drive, and a 4TB HDD as a storage drive (this is an excessive amount of space, but HDD's are cheap) for working files. My main storage for finished projects is a Synology NAS backed up to the cloud. Mainly looking to upgrade as I've seen benchmarks showing a significant improvement in CPU heavy tasks like exporting bulk photos from Lightroom.

    So here's what I'm looking to build...

    PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87fMWb

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($272.99 @ Amazon) Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ B&H) Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama) Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.97 @ Amazon) Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.97 @ Amazon) Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg) Case: RAIJINTEK STYX MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg) Power Supply: Silverstone 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ B&H) Total: $1342.89

    So for some context, I wasn't looking to go "top of the line" but wanted to maximize my "bang for the buck." Going with the mATX format and such a small case is due to wanting to have the PC sitting on the desktop, not underneath where I constantly seem to bang into it. The desk is rather large so I have space up here for a tower, but underneath has cabinets and drawers so there really isn't a ton of open space and my ATX mid tower takes up a decent amount of it. I also would like to find a reasonable slot loading slim optical drive that can burn discs, but I didn't see any. I chose 32GB of RAM as I often nearly max out the 8GB that I currently have do to my workflow requiring multiple programs/browser tabs to be open at once. I felt like 16GB would probably be alright but with 32GB I probably wouldn't ever have to worry. The 500GB NVME drive will be the main drive with the OS and all applications. My 1TB main drive in my current PC has proven to be excessively large so with SSD prices being what they are it didn't make sense to oversize it that much. The two 1TB 2.5" SSD's will probably be in a RAID 1 configuration and used for working file storage.

    submitted by /u/Maverickfftytwo
    [link] [comments]

    Divorced parents, what do I get?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    So I have been want to get a pc as there is more and better games. I currently have a Xbox but want to get either a sff pc or a gaming laptop . What is better for my situation?

    • I travel between homes every other weekend

    -budget - max £1000

    submitted by /u/EpstienDidNotCommit
    [link] [comments]

    Good combo?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Is a 2600 and a rx 580 good?

    submitted by /u/LobsterGum
    [link] [comments]

    5700XT Audio And PCI Issues

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Hello, I recently upgraded to a used XFX Thicc iii 5700xt. I followed all of the instructions I saw online (use DDU first, update chipset drivers, use latest GPU drivers), but I'm still having issues. Several people had success forcing the PCI version to 3.0 in the BIOS. I'm a bit confused because my Adrenaline specs show the "Bus Type" is set to PCI 4.0 but the "current bus settings" is PCI 3.0. Adrenaline and BIOS Settings

    I tried to locate the PCI settings in my motherboard bios, but the first setting only showed options for Gen1 and Gen2. I found another setting that can force the speed to Gen3, but changing that didn't make a difference. Please see pictures in link above.

    Can someone help me reconcile what is going on here? Are my PCI settings incorrect and if so how do I update them? My mobo is Asrock B450 and my CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600.

    Primary symptoms- GPU usage is low but not bottlenecked by CPU or RAM usage. Also, my headphone jack does not work and has static feedback. It is set to use the latest Realtek driver from the mobo website.

    Thanks for taking the time to review. If you have any questions, please let me know.

    submitted by /u/reno1100
    [link] [comments]

    B550 mb availability?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    More specifically looking at the b550 tomahawk, but haven't seen this board in stock anywhere since the launch. No restock dates seem to be in sight either? Just looking to see if anyone has any info

    submitted by /u/bruce1234567890
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for $1500-ish PC

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:30 PM PDT

    So I have for the recent year or so planned to build a PC myself for the first time, I have some knowledge on PCs but I can't say that I have much knowledge so I would like to hear your guys thoughts on the potential build and what improvments can be made.

    Right now I play games like WoW and Overwatch which I know is quite light games, but I have had plans on getting games such as the Witcher 3 and I plan to get the new Assassin's Creed Valhalla game to name a few.

    PS: I can be a little flexible with the cost of the parts so if you have any suggestions on parts which might cost a little more feel free to add. Motherboard costs around $240

    Anyway heres the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/shmggJ

    submitted by /u/Melle10
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding a good case with a "front door"

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    Im not really sure if this is the right subreddit or flair so please correct me if im wrong.

    I was planning to upgrade my pc soon and wanted to buy a new case because mine is around 13 years old. The only problem is I've really started to take a liking to the fact that my case has a front door to it but when searching online i had difficulties finding cases with this feature. Maybe its just outdated and companies arent using the design anymore? Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mackiwoo
    [link] [comments]

    What should I upgrade first?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    I'm quite new to building PCs, the only one I've built is the one in question. I built it about 2 years ago and here are the specs:

    - Core i5-7500 @ 3.4 GHz - Asus NVIDIA 1050Ti - Gygabyte H270-Gaming 3 - 8GB RAM @ 2400MHz(I'm pretty sure its DDR4 Taskmgr doesn't say) - 120GB SSD (System), 1TB HDD, 1TB SSD (Games/other software) 

    I have about a $200 budget for now until I save up some more money and my main game is csgo (which I know is more cpu intensive), so my question is what should I upgrade first?

    submitted by /u/AlekseyBlyatman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment