• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 3, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 03, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 03, 2020


    Simple Questions - June 03, 2020

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth to get a 1440p,144hz monitor or a 1080p, 144hz monitor for a 2060 Super with Ryzen 5 3600?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:35 AM PDT

    I've seen the benchmarks on YT and I noticed that at 1440p 144hz, the 2060S takes quite a hit on fps on some games as opposed to the smooth high fps gameplay on a 1080p setting... I'm wondering if it's worth to take a 1440p monitor for future proofing or just pick the safer, smoother route which is with the 1080p monitor..

    submitted by /u/Dotaspasm
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Looking for a computer chair that doesn't look I'm in NASCAR. $300 budget. Help?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a computer/gaming chair that will hopefully end some of the discussions I'm having with my boyfriend. I'd like a balance of aesthetic and comfort and he is aaaaalll about the comfort, regardless of looks. It's the difference between a task chair from wayfair for $50 vs his gaming chair prices for $600 +

    I have a budget of $300, I'll push it to $350 if its features warrant it. I don't want to look like I'm a character in Initial D or flying like I'm a space cowboy.

    I'm 115 lbs with chronic back pain (mid + lower) and sciatica so any reviews that complain about the chairs being petite will probably be great for me although I do like to sit cross legged when I'm gaming.

    Thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/sugarpopbomb
    [link] [comments]

    A Poem for Thermal Paste

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    Oh thermal paste

    Oh thermal paste

    If only I had knew

    You cool, you glue

    You turn my fingers blue.


    I try to stay clean

    I try to keep pristine

    I place my hands away from blue

    I keep them far from the goo.

    Yet somehow, some way

    No matter what I do.

    I always find myself

    Covered

    Because of you.

    submitted by /u/trashy10_00
    [link] [comments]

    I did it.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    After a month of planning, picking the right parts, reading and watching hundreds of reviews, I finally ordered the parts for my first build. Now I wait. In a month or so my build will be done (or i fuck up).

    There, I just kinda had to post this because it feels so scary yet amazing. This community has also been a huge help, so I owe thanks to you guys. I will update you as soon as i finish the build.

    submitted by /u/yeetybastard
    [link] [comments]

    1080p 60fps PC specs???

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    Hey, I want to get a new pc, and I want it to be able to run modern games at atleast 1080p 60fps, but i don't really know what kind of components i need to buy. Can you guys help ?

    submitted by /u/AwesomePazzoDoggo
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble getting my monitor to go to 144Hz.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    This is my first ever PC and for my monitor I bought an Acer GN246HL 24in Full HD 144Hz Gaming LCD LED w/ 3D Support and I cant get it to have to the 144hz refresh rate. For the graphics card i have the GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 2X 8G Rev 3.0 8G PCI-E w/ HDMI, TRIPLE DP. I've talked to a computer tech in person and he suggested I buy a HDMI 1.4 cable and said that it'll work no problem but its still at 60hz. But I've also been looking up what others who are having the same troubles trying to fix this same problem, and I've seen that people are saying that the HDMI is the problem and that it should be a DP cable instead. But the monitor only comes with a HDMI v1.4 port, DVI-D port, and a D-Sub VGA port. So if anyone can help with what would be the best solution on how to fix my situation it would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Albiinoo__
    [link] [comments]

    Big thank you to this community helping me build my first PC!

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 03:07 AM PDT

    I would like to thank all the people here, not only the ones replying to my questions but the whole community as one. I have been browsing the history here and found a handful of general tips for beginners which turned out to be precious.

    Im Mike and I have successfully build my first PC.

    Link to the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KwmkrV

    After connecting everything together came the moment to press the power button and MAN I WAS NERVOUS.

    I knew 100% that I messed up something and it wont boot up. Surprisingly It did!But it turned itself off (???) and again on! and off? on and on and on. The CPU fans were going bananas. I had no idea whats going on! I wanted to turn it off so that I would not damage anything! It felt like forever. I could see images from my childhood. Beautiful memories of my parents singing me happy birthday or catching my first fish with dad at the river. I was speechless and paralyzed and BOOM surprise! There are things on the screen saying

    "New CPU installed. Press enter setup to configure your system."https://imgur.com/a/VeqBEM5

    IT WORKS!!! At this point I went into bios and loaded a profile so that my ram works at 3200 speed.

    I have decided to go with this massive cooling system Noctua NH-D15 with two fans:

    https://imgur.com/a/L0amx7h

    and it was a great idea because of how silent my PC is but there is a small downside of it as you can see on this image:

    https://imgur.com/a/TOnwhQg

    Its covering the LED logo of my motherboard but that's ok I don't mind :-)

    There is an other inconsistency unfortunately. I could not connect my USB-C input from front panel to the motherboard as it does not have a place for it. Its already connected to the back panel.

    https://imgur.com/a/uWz596Y

    The solution is to bridge them both with a cable to connect the front intake. I just need the proper cable for it.

    And here's an other take of the inside:

    https://imgur.com/a/8HZUFHJ

    My complete and final gaming station looks as follows:

    https://imgur.com/a/f2szgQm

    For those who are interested the chair is Secretlab TITAN house Lannister

    The desk is from Ikea called ALEX with two drawers and a place to store cables behind (super useful)

    Theres Gollum sitting under the lamp the same as from Big Bang Theory Sheldon's desk

    And very important, for me, is the ssound. My PC is connected via a digital audio cable (optic fiber glass) with my Logitech Z906 Home Theater 5.1 Surround. The sound is omnipresent and delicious.

    Currently im playing heavily modded Witcher 3. I know its a 5yo game but I could not play it before because I lacked the GPU power. This is the modlist for Witcher 3:

    https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2662

    Besides that I cant wait for Cyberpunk and looking forward to getting some VR googles :D.

    Aaaaaaand that is it. Thank you guys again for your precious help.If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

    edit: formatting (reddit does not like shift+enter)

    submitted by /u/skipabeat123
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade 4 year old PC

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    I typically use my PC for playing games that include (but of course are not limited to): Dota, League, Smite, Valorant, Overwatch, just to name a few.

    With my current build I am getting some FPS stutter/drops in Valorant despite being on pretty low settings which is very frustrating.

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    I want to be able to play games on 1928x1080 on medium settings with a stable framerate. Nothing insane, I built my PC initially as a budget build and don't want to go insane with upgrades, just want a more stable PC.

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    I would like to spend no more than $1000 upgrading/rebuilding my PC. Ideally somewhere around $800. I'm thinking if I upgrade a few key components (i.e. processor and GPU) my performance will be much better.

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    United States of America

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CvmVRB - This is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cjh1055/saved/z3Vvf7 - This is a build I quickly came up with, with around the specs I'm shooting for. Ideally, I would like to just upgrade my current PC, but realize that this may be an unrealistic option due to the dated nature of my parts.

    I appreciate any and all feedback!

    submitted by /u/_i1
    [link] [comments]

    Used to be a build guide on this subreddit?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Trying to find something from a couple years ago. I think it was from this subreddit, but I could be wrong.

    It was like a list of suggested gaming builds from high budget to lowest budget and each build listed their capabilities such as "plays most games in VR" or "most games in lowest video settings" etc. Does that still exist here?

    Not finding in Google either but maybe I just don't know the right phrase to search for.

    submitted by /u/carrotsRgood4U
    [link] [comments]

    First time building pc, harder than spected

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    New to pc building trying to get a nice pc for around 1500 including a monitor to be used for 3d rendering (Blender) and games here is what I have right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w9wYK4

    Pretty happy with the CPU, GPU, RAM and memory. The mother board and everything else I know pretty much nothing about, help would be appriciated!

    submitted by /u/GsusCrust
    [link] [comments]

    Intel i5 9400f

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    I've got a brand new CPU, and i've done a few benchmarks and the results are that it's basically running at half what it should be... can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/naidu_
    [link] [comments]

    Best worthwhile upgrade for a 4690k?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    I've had this chip for a few years now, and it's starting to show it's age. Looking to switch to Ryzen, without dumping $400+

    Current setup is 4690k @ 4.8ghz underwater 16gb (4x4) 1600mhz vengeance Gtx 1060 6gb

    Everyone seems to go for 3600s but that doesn't seem like a substantial improvement over a stock 4690k

    4790ks are still selling for dumb prices too.

    Any input is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/skaterman665
    [link] [comments]

    Any build suggestions or direction? $1500 budget :)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    Mostly gaming on 1440p 144hz. Thank you guys in advance!

    submitted by /u/TheStrangerThing
    [link] [comments]

    GPU and CPU drop to 0% while gaming.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:15 AM PDT

    When playing any game, I get a few second of screen freeze before I can do anything again. These are pics I captured of the events. https://imgur.com/a/k2OzYMV Main games are CoD and Valorant. I know I was not freezing about 2 weeks ago but I dont really know what I changed or installed. Please help, thanks.

    submitted by /u/DisGuyx
    [link] [comments]

    First Build $700

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo MSI B450 Tomahawk Max G.Skill Aegis 2x8Gb Corsair MP510 240 GB M.2 SSD Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Evga 500W 80+ Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1060 What ya guys think.?

    submitted by /u/DroidTheFloop
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading to Ryzen- Blue screen on log in

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    I'm going from an Intel 4590 to a Ryzen 5 2600X. Already cloned the hard drive, verified the new boot drives functions, and all my new components are in my new PC.

    New PC boots to BIOS no problem, all components show in BIOS.

    But when I get to the log in, about 5 seconds go by and the computer blue screens and restarts. Every time.

    I know most of you are going to say to do a fresh install because of going from Intel to AMD, but I'm not sure how to without losing all my data on my drive. I've never been good the software side of computers so I'm in new territory. A fresh windows install is the last thing I want to do but I may have no choice.

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/bobbydinner
    [link] [comments]

    So I have a Fractal Design Meshify C, and I have the front 2 fans (one single fan one AIO) and one is the back exhausting air, and if I get two other fans to keep it cool during the summer to mount in the top, should they be bringing air in or out?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    The only AIO is the single 120mm in the front bringing air in, everything else is a regular fan

    submitted by /u/TheBigOster123
    [link] [comments]

    Help - New build wont boot / post

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Hey folks, I'm fairly good with technology but this is my first fresh build in over 10 years. Just got the last part in the mail today (PSU) and get everything together, but when I try to boot the fans just spin up for about 15 seconds, then I can hear the PSU click off/on and it repeats.

    Components:
    Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
    ASRock Z390M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
    be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler
    G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    Team GX1 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card
    Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

    Initial observations: video card fans not spinning up when powered on, but all other fans do. fans spin for 15 seconds and then I hear PSU click off/on and it repeats. USB devices appear to be getting power (specifcally keyboard backlights lighting up)

    Troubleshooting so far:
    Removed video card and connect to onboard video, same issue
    Removed SSD from PSU and mobo, same issue
    Removed both stick of RAM, same issue
    Clear CMOS via jump, same issue
    Reseated CPU, same issue
    Disconnected remaining case fans, front audio, leaving only 24pin and atx from PSU, cpu fan, and power button cables connected to mobo but still, fans only spin up for a bit, no video out from onboard, and PSU clicks off/on after about 15 seconds.

    Can anyone provide some guidance on next troubleshooting steps?

    submitted by /u/superafroboy
    [link] [comments]

    5700 XT vs 2060 SUPER Gaming Temperature/Noise?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    I am currently building a new PC, and i compared the 5700 XT with the 2060 SUPER Gaming. The performance difference seems very small, but what about the temperature / noise?

    I'm currently running an AMD card in my setup (r9 390), and the card gets really hot for no reason, and the fans are really loud. I read that this is a common thing with AMD cards, so my choice would be the 2060 SUPER.

    Anyone here owns the 5700 XT? Is the temperature higher than with nvidia cards? What about the fan noise?

    submitted by /u/tronxa
    [link] [comments]

    Is a ryzen 3600 a decent upgrade from a intel i5 6600

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    Is it a decent upgrade for gaming and work performance?

    submitted by /u/nerdboy8989
    [link] [comments]

    Posted a parts list asking for advice and got an updated parts list, how does this look to y’all?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QPdHTC

    Will it play basically anything I can throw at it / will it all fit together fine during the building process?

    submitted by /u/Glossyplane542
    [link] [comments]

    Is right now the worst time to buy parts/build a PC?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:30 AM PDT

    YouTubers and online articles recommend certain components for builds at varying price points. However, whenever I look them up they're almost always more expensive than described in the recommendation.

    I'm starting to feel that the economic recession and the increasing demand for components is causing prices to spike. For example: the Ryzen 5 1600 AF was $85 two months ago and now it's $105. WTH?! This processor is two generations old (soon to be three). Even though they put the 12nm tech in it that's still robbery! I'm finding GPUs that are spiking too. Maybe right now isn't the best time to buy PC components.

    submitted by /u/TrickTrot
    [link] [comments]

    Used PC parts

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 04:42 AM PDT

    Hey, I found a GTX 960 on a site called Carousell. It's basically Ebay in Singapore. It's trusted by everyone and they have a variety of used items there. So I wanted to ask, should I buy a GTX 960, a Ryzen 3 1200, and a B450M-DS3H(all used). Or should I buy everything new. With my budget, for new products these are my choices. I have to skip the graphics card, the CPU is AMD Athlon 200GE, and the motherboard is a B450M-DS3H. Would appreciate if you could tell me which to buy, new or used. Thanks!

    Used processor link: Cool find: Ryzen 3 1200 CPU for S$80 http://sg.carousell.com/p/1010652160

    Used GPU link: Cool find: Nvidia LeadTek GTX 960 4GB Graphics Card for S$85 http://sg.carousell.com/p/1010776596

    Ever since you guys in the sub have told me to try and get a used GPU instead of skipping it, I've been trying to find some and I've found one,, thank you guys for all your help!

    Edit: I found a replacement for the Ryzen 3 1200. It's actually the Ryzen 5 1600. Could you also help me check if this is a legit used part? Thanks!

    Updated processor link: Cool find: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU Processor for S$150 http://sg.carousell.com/p/1010794738

    submitted by /u/NeilTheNail
    [link] [comments]

    [Microphone Recommendation] Audio setup in manufacturing environment

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm looking for a USB microphone recommendation for use at work in a manufacturing environment. My office is located on the plant floor so there is a great deal of background noise (probably constant 40-80 dB), and we are a wire & cable manufacturer performing high voltage electrical tests so shielding may be important as well.

    Not super interested in an AntLion modmic, build quality seems sketchy, I could be convinced that I'm wrong however.

    I'm open to any style of mic except the large boom mics streamers tend to use, I think that's excessive for my application. My goal is to have the best audio quality of my colleagues so they can experience the full depth of my sexy radio voice.

    Don't really have a budget, it's for work mostly but I'm going to buy for myself.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ChaoticLlama
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment