• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 30, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 30, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 30, 2020


    Simple Questions - April 30, 2020

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: "Find people in buildapc who want to chat" and "Start Chatting" have nothing to do with /r/buildapc. We strongly recommend you do not use this chat function. To chat, join our discord instead! discord.gg/buildapc

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    EDIT: It looks like the admins have decided to remove this feature for the time being. We'll keep you updated with any relevant further developments.


    /r/buildapc has zero affiliation with the "Start Chatting" feature of reddit, nor any control over the content of these chat rooms. As such, you are likely to encounter inaccurate or malicious content that cannot be vetted by the community or the moderation team.

    We strongly recommend you do not use these chat rooms in any capacity.

    There is good news though! If you want to get help with your PC build or chat with likeminded PC builders, join our discord at https://discord.gg/buildapc!


    There's also no way for us to disable these rooms for our community. For now, we have this banner advising the risks of these rooms. We have no plans to implement a reddit chat channel. We have a very active and healthy Discord community that will continue to serve as chat for our community.

    submitted by /u/JaffaCakes6
    [link] [comments]

    Once you have built your PC, you should get off hardware subreddits.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 03:46 AM PDT

    This is my opinion.

    Once you built your PC, then you should get off this subreddit and other similar ones.

    You will never be satisfied with your PC if you get newer & better hardware shoved down your throat everyday. This also counts for youtube hardware channels, which are basically just advertisements.

    The whole PC building thing can easily turn into an obsesssion, which it already is for many people.

    What do you think about this?

    submitted by /u/OK175
    [link] [comments]

    Disk performance HDD vs SSD SATA vs M2 NVMe - a beginners guide

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    After stealing a hard disk from my wife's MacBook Pro, I did ask first, I found out why it was a terrible idea!

    I was curious (as a non hardware person) as to how disks have got better over the last 10 years.

    https://davemateer.com/2020/04/19/Disk-performance-CrystalDiskMark-HDD-vs-SSD

    Thought I'd post here if anyone is interested.

    submitted by /u/davemateer
    [link] [comments]

    Do fully modular PSUs have all the cables I could ever need in the box? Or do I need to buy them separately?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 03:56 AM PDT

    All I know about PSUs are in this link. I'm yet to actually purchase one myself.

    Do fully modular PSUs have all the cables I could ever need in the box? Or do I need to buy them separately?

    A non-modular PSU is attractive to me because I don't need to acquire additional cables. However, if fully modular PSUs come with the cables in the box but not attached that would sway my opinion.

    Bonus credit: Is there any downside to buying an excessive wattage PSU? Ie. purchasing a 1000W PSU when realistically a 750W would probably do. Just looking to future proof myself.

    submitted by /u/djaussiekid
    [link] [comments]

    2x16 or 4x8 Sticks of RAM ?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    Question is in the title, I not sure about choosing between those two options. Is there any performance differences between 2x16 or 4x8 ? If not i'll take 2x16 for future upgrades.

    submitted by /u/bigstupidumbass
    [link] [comments]

    FanControl: SpeedFan is dead, so I made a new modern one myself.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    Speedfan doesn't work on my MSI Z390 board, BIOS fan control is horrible, so I made this:

    https://imgur.com/a/Op7Fc6j

    Main thing you need to know: you can control your case fans from both your CPU AND/OR GPU temp.

    Tutorial(s) (playlist): https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLICmn1_a7bGBYnhnD76W5hR9e5CK2bkDi&v=LyIaxuppBAI

    LTT thread : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1099996-openfancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/

    Based on : https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor ( the raw DLL is used and exposed next to the exe. You can swap it. )

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Rem-Merc-Software
    [link] [comments]

    Unrealistic Budget for a Gaming PC?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:41 AM PDT

    Hey guys, so I'm 17 and I've basically been a console player since I was 6. I've had all of them, ps2, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u and Xbox 360. After recently selling my ps4 to get ready for the ps5, I've suddenly gained interest in switching over to the pc gaming community instead. My budget is $800 CAD Max. I was wondering if this is an unrealistic budget, I've seen many people saying that you won't get something great and it may not be worth it. I'm only 17 and I do have a job but I don't have that much to dish out for a pc. I'm not some hardcore gamer or a pro, just casual and like to play for fun in my free time. My question is, with a budget of $800 CAD would I be able to get a good gaming pc to play games such as GTA V, Valorant, COD? Or should I just stick to PlayStation with a budget like that? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this long essay :) i would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback from the best!

    submitted by /u/biggains2233
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to put my SSD next to my PSU or no? There really isn’t much of a barrier between them except for the SSD’s protective case

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:59 AM PDT

    First PC Build 1440p ultrawide

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Hey guys, have never built a PC before and have no idea what I'm doing

    My monitor is 1440p ultrawide at 100hz and I want to play games at moderate settings.

    Here is my rough draft for my parts. Feel free to rip it apart:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nav1998/saved/zV7Hzy

    Will I run into any issues with ultrawide?

    submitted by /u/TrippyKent
    [link] [comments]

    What is the point in having more than 16gb of ram??

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    Hi, so I was wondering as I'm getting a pc soon and will upgrade it in the future what the actual point of getting more than 16gb of ram is?

    • I'm very new to pc's and building them so any help is greatly appreciated :)

    Thanks in advance :)))

    submitted by /u/oscarfowes
    [link] [comments]

    assembled pc doesnt start

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:39 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    so i assembled my new computer with an asrock b450m motherboard and an amd ryzen 3 3200. i put in together everything nicely. when i start my computer i see the power on LED shining, i can see my rgb keyboard showing its colors, all 3 fans in my computer are working but my screen stays black.

    the problem cant be the monitor or the cabel, because i tested it on an old computer and it works perfectly fine.

    Im pretty upset and dont know what do. i basically checked everything.

    Would apprieacte any help

    submitted by /u/DeepInflation5
    [link] [comments]

    Best 144Hz Monitor under $200

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    Just as title says, what would be the best 144Hz monitor I could get for under $200 that is durable and won't stop working after 3 months of use. Using an Nvidia GPU, btw.

    submitted by /u/increasedreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Is upgrading to an i7 8700k from an i5 8600k that much of a difference? I have a Z370 gaming 5 MOBO.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:44 PM PDT

    Like the title says, I currently have an i5 8600k and am looking to upgrade. I've looked into the 9th gen CPU but am worried my motherboard can't handle it. So I've looked into the i7 8700k, but am wondering if spending the money is actually worth the upgrade. I use my computer for gaming, and alotnof games I play are CPU heavy. Such as Arma 3 and Bannerlord.

    submitted by /u/Gpopour
    [link] [comments]

    Im looking for a good RGB case under 100$, preferably with 2 or 3 fans in it.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    R5 3600 or R5 1600af to go with a 1660 super for 100 FPS+ 1080p gaming?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    Console gamer for 25+ years now saving up money from each paycheck to buy and build my first gaming pc! I’d like to spend around $2,000 for just the case and everything in it. I’ve already gotten a decent monitor but can always upgrade that later. I would love for your advice and opinions!

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    I've messed around with pc part picker but I really don't know what I'm looking at for the most part. I love puzzles and have watched some videos on YouTube on how to build and do's and dont's.

    submitted by /u/stimpacksforsale
    [link] [comments]

    What should I upgrade for my son’s PC?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    I've been out of the gaming world for years (my last big video card purchase was a 9700 pro, if that helps date me). My son is getting big into gaming lately and could use a little more performance. His current setup is:

    • I5-6400
    • 1x8gb DDR4 (has 3 open slots)
    • 500gb SSD
    • 1060 6gb
    • Oculus Rift S
    • A good looking case with plenty of space
    • Nice monitors and peripherals

    (I think that's all the relevant bits).

    He's not ready for a whole new setup, but I'm thinking there are some quick wins here. Namely, I think more memory seems like the obvious route.

    Not sure on the 1060 - he says it slows a bit at times, but most of what he plays is just fine.

    What would you upgrade here first?

    Edit: grabbed another 8gb stick to start - memory is really cheap right now!

    submitted by /u/AboutToSnap
    [link] [comments]

    Best Video editing Laptop Premiere/After effects 4k-8K footage for UNDER $2,500 !?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've been editing on the Acer helios 300 ($1,099 laptop) for the last 2.5 years. It just busted and I am in the market for a new video editing laptop. I've been looking at the Razer series laptops, advanced and base models. I'm honestly not sure what specs I need and don't want to spend more than I need to.

    Let me know your thoughts PC community! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jakekame
    [link] [comments]

    Building my first PC. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    I'm currently planning on building my first PC and just wanted to get some comments on the quality of the parts selection or if there may be any potential issues that you guys might notice. Currently I'm planning on using:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3WYLrH/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-38-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000022box

    CPU Cooler: Stock Wraith Cooler

    Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB at 3600Mhz

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZzK8/gskill-ripjaws-v-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc

    Storage: Silicon Power 512 GB NVMe SSD and Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200RPM HDD

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XML48d/silicon-power-a80-512-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sp512gbp34a80m28

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mwrYcf/seagate-barracuda-computer-2-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm008

    GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/C4Dkcf/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-super-8-gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n206swf2oc-8gd

    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHmxFT/fractal-design-focus-g-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bk-w

    PSU: EVGA BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Semi Modular

    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DmWrxr/evga-bq-600w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-110-bq-0600-k1

    Would this need any extra fans or anything else to function well without blowing up? I'm a pretty big newbie when it comes to this so if there's anything I'm missing or overlooking it'd be greatly appreciated. My budget is around $1000-$1200.

    submitted by /u/FrostySlushy
    [link] [comments]

    Cpu base and boost clock

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    So I recently built a pc and went to my bios to configure some stuff, only to find out that my Ryzen 7 3700x is running at a base clock of 3.9ghz and a boost clock of also 3.9ghz. Apparently, it's supposed to be 3.6ghz and 4.4ghz. I believe this is making my performance worse as I did a geekbench test and it's very low compared to any other Ryzen 7 3700x.

    Was wondering if there's an explanation behind this or a fix for it. Oh and my cpu isnt overclocked.

    submitted by /u/Flyseppe
    [link] [comments]

    Can i overclock? and what should i be looking for?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    So im using the I5 9600k with an Asus Prime z390-A motherboard air cooled with a be quiet dark rock pro 4. my power supplie is a cooler master v750. Can i overclock the cpu to 4.5? will it make a big difference? i forgot my gpu is a gtx 1080 also im looking for pure gaming performance.

    submitted by /u/MisCojones34
    [link] [comments]

    So I just got a new 165hz monitor everything is good except text turns green when scrolling

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    My old monitor never did this it was a 60hz va panel this new monitor is a 165hz va panel. Why is it doing this ?

    submitted by /u/Zarawte
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if my psu is too weak?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    So i recently bought a prebuilt (yeah i know, i was too lazy) from Omen HP and i have no clue of 500 watts is gonna hold up. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. Anyways, if 500 watts isnt enough, could you guys please give me some reccomendations? Thank you.

    My gpu and cpu are the Ryzen 5 3500 and the RX 5700 XT

    submitted by /u/jjkma12
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 Overclocking Advice

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I recently bought a 3600 and I've been a bit worried if my overclocks are safe. I was able to run my 3600 stable at 4.4 ghz at 1.32 volts, 4.3 ghz at 1.26 volts, and 4.2 at 1.21 volts. All passed cinebench r15 runs on a 30 min loop, and prime 95 on small ffts for 30 mins. All temps were under 80 degrees. But at 4.4 ghz one of the workers stopped if that means anything.

    I'm new to overclocking so are any of these voltages unsafe? If so what would be the best long-term overclock out of the 3? I also plan to keep this cpu for at least 3 years, but I want the best performance out of my chip (since I plan on pairing it with a 2080ti or something of that level in the future.) Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Diamond_rltrade
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical mount on Lian Li O11-XL? The intended vertical mount space, I mean.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    I have a Lian Li O11 XL case that's filled to the gills with PCIe devices (multiple GPUs, PCIe SSD RAID, TB3, etc). I have a 16x PCIe riser cable and would like to use the actual vertical mount space. Lian Li makes a vertical GPU mount, but it goes in the regular PCIe slot spaces, that are already occupied. If there isn't enough space, I can mount a smaller, lighter card instead of a big heavy GPU. The picture below indicates what I'm talking about.

    https://imgur.com/a/1Hesw4E

    submitted by /u/PoorGovtDoctor
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment