• Breaking News

    Friday, August 20, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 20, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 20, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 20, 2021

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth waiting for 40xx series and DDR5?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 04:17 AM PDT

    I'm planning on buying high end pc to last for years, but the prices are crazy now, should I wait untill late 2022 for a better performing pc rather than building now?

    I have heard that 40xx series would be waaay better than 30xx

    Edit: Obviously first batch of DDR5 thag will release late this year will be expensive and have bad performance, that's why I mentioned late 2022

    submitted by /u/kubistonek
    [link] [comments]

    Well it was way more work than anticipated, but I finally finished my old cheese grater Mac Pro to ATX conversion! Short album in the post.

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 06:38 AM PDT

    Album

    This took way more grinding and cutting and prying than I'd ever thought before I started it. But I really wanted a case with personality, something different, so I'm very pleased with the result and plan to really make it my only PC case from now on. I dual boot Windows and Pop_OS! on here, mostly using Linux except for Adobe Creative Cloud needs.

    CPU: Ryzen 5800X

    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Super

    Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570

    RAM: G Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200Mhz C14 (have 2 more sticks on order)

    Boot Drives: 2 for different OS's, dual Samsung 980 Pro 500GB

    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

    Case Fans: Single Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax

    Plans and Laser Cutting for ATX Conversion and Front Panel I/O: From The Laser Hive (UK)

    submitted by /u/thinkscotty
    [link] [comments]

    Should I worry about my new SSDs lifespan?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 06:39 PM PDT

    I built my PC in March and I've been super conservative with how much things I download, and if it isn't really something necessary, I usually refrain from downloading it which really bothers me because there is no point in using my computer if I'm not going to download things on it. With many big games releasing this year, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I want to ensure this SSD lasts me as long as possible but all of the games look really good. I also keep personal files that aren't necessarily important but I care about on it and I keep my OS on a separate SSD. Should I stop worrying or is it smart to micromanage things like that? I just want to make sure I'm not draining this SSD already.

    If you have any personal experience with gaming on SSDs long term please let me know because I've always used traditional hard drives.

    submitted by /u/fargalaxysmemes
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, is a 10850k a good pairing with a 3080? i also am finishing it out with a 850w psu. how’s that sound? wanting to avoid any bottlenecks.

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 07:53 AM PDT

    Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 5 5600x?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 06:46 AM PDT

    I currently have Ryzen 5 3600 + Crosshair VI Hero. I just want to ask if it's worth upgrading to Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 5 5600x? I plan on upgrading my GTX 1060 6GB to 3060 Ti once the market stabilizes.

    submitted by /u/Lizst_
    [link] [comments]

    Cancer and reproductive warnings on boxes

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    I just bought some RGB heatsinks which have a "Cancer and reproductive warning" from the Californian Government. Should I be worried about using it?

    I also noticed my Seasonic Gx750 has it and I did smell my PSU a bit (It's new, it's normal to smell).
    Is there a need for concern?

    submitted by /u/AdvexiaLoL
    [link] [comments]

    Would you consider going from 4K to 1440p ultrawide an upgrade?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 10:31 AM PDT

    Hey yall. Right now I'm using a refurbished Lenovo L28u-30, it's a 4K 60Hz IPS panel, nothing special, but games look super crisp on here. I bought it for about $180 and have been using it for 4 months or so. I'm using R5 3600 and 3070 so I'm playing 4K games at 60fps pretty fine. I do mostly play story-based games like RDR2, Tomb Raider, etc so I don't really need high refresh rate. However, I'm thinking of buying this ultrawide monitor.

    The pros of this is: - More field of view in fps games or story based games. Open world games are more immersive - Higher refresh rate (it's overclockable to 90-100Hz) - More space for productivity tasks, open many windows at once - 21:9 movies will look awesome - I can flex on console players because I can play much more games in ultrawide than console (I have a friend who swears on his mother's grave that PS5 is better than PC. I don't mind that he thinks that way, it's just he likes to shove it in my face so much lol)

    Cons: - Assuming I'll be able to sell my old monitor for about $150, I'll have to spend $100 more - Lower resolution - Black bars in 16:9 videos like YouTube and most tv shows - VA panel, although many reviewers have said it's not that bad

    What do yall think? If you were in my situation would you upgrade?

    submitted by /u/Capital_Tale1597
    [link] [comments]

    How much heat do cables let out?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 04:54 AM PDT

    I just wire managed my gaming set up better and installed some surge protectors, but now my cables are stuffed in a wire management duct under my desk. One of my friends said to be careful so that the wires won´t heat too much. Is this a real threat or is he just wrong? He could be totally wrong cause he´s a console gamer. But the duct is like, really stuffed with the cables. And there are two surge protector extinction cords and one ethernet surge protector there.

    So, is it dangerous or not?

    submitted by /u/Volvo_264
    [link] [comments]

    PCIe Wifi Adapter?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    I'm moving into a new place next week and don't think I'll have a way to use hardline right away. My current Wifi card is trash... any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/_villainous
    [link] [comments]

    Testing/booting PC with cheap ram?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    The memory I purchased came broken out of the box. The return process with Newegg is taking a lot longer than I expected. I'm worried that if there are any issues with any other parts I bought, I will have missed the return window and be stuck. Is it worth buying cheap ram to test and make sure I can boot and get into bios?

    Parts:

    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Mobo: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4
    • Memory (broken): OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
    • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO
    • PSU: Cooler Master V SFX Gold 650 W 80+ Gold
    submitted by /u/domind
    [link] [comments]

    Not all cpu cores showing

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    I installed my new cpu (xeon e5 2690) and at first it was showing 4 cores, and I checked the bios and enable hyper threading and now it's 2 cores in cpu z. And its an 8 core processor so idk what's up. Thanks

    submitted by /u/ripjoeexotic
    [link] [comments]

    Disable Windows "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows" slowed down my PC

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 10:05 AM PDT

    I got a new PC recently and I noticed that it was using 30% - 40% when my PC was idle.
    I looked it up, and it seemed that turning off "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows" would make my PC consume less RAM, but when I restarted my PC after doing this, it SUPER slow, so slow that it was almost unusable, and when I turned "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows" again it came back to normal.
    Can someone explain what the hell happened?

    submitted by /u/CeJota_
    [link] [comments]

    Can you play most modern games on GTX 1060-6gb?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 02:59 AM PDT

    Pc keeps crashing, why?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    Below is my benchmarks on my hardware, but my pc keeps crashing upon starting up games, I've checked my hardware to see if they're compatible and they are, however what would be the problem that my pc keeps crashing when I am playing games?? Graphics card fans spin when I play the games, but five minutes in it crashes, this happen with games like overwatch, fortnite, and valorant also,I have an AIO pump for my cpu! I just need some clarity as to what it could be!

    \[UserBenchmarks: Game 77%, Desk 90%, Work 78%\]([https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45588291]

    ||Model|Bench

    :----|:----|:----|

    \*\*CPU\*\*|\[Intel Core i7-10700K\]([https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core-i7-10700K/Rating/4070](https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core-i7-10700K/Rating/4070))|95.5%

    \*\*GPU\*\*|\[Nvidia GTX 1070\]([https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Nvidia-GTX-1070/Rating/3609](https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Nvidia-GTX-1070/Rating/3609))|78.3%

    \*\*HDD\*\*|\[Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018)\]([https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/466743/ST2000DM008-2FR102](https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/466743/ST2000DM008-2FR102))|91%

    \*\*RAM\*\*|\[Corsair CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 2x8GB\]([https://ram.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/845186/Corsair-CMW16GX4M2D3600C18-2x8GB](https://ram.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/845186/Corsair-CMW16GX4M2D3600C18-2x8GB))|97.7%

    \*\*MBD\*\*|\[Asus TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI\]([https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-TUF-GAMING-B560M-PLUS-WIFI/227538](https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-TUF-GAMING-B560M-PLUS-WIFI/227538))|

    submitted by /u/urbadfriend
    [link] [comments]

    Going to College

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 12:57 PM PDT

    Hey all, i'm heading to college tomorrow and need some quick advice. My school is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away, entirely straight on the interstate, and i'm quite worried about getting it there all in one piece. I can't take the gpu out (guess i threw the box foam out like an idiot) but the pc itself is in the box the case came in with the foam around it. Currently have little coffee bag (sealed and unopened of course!) working as a little airbag under the gpu. The gpu is very snug in the pc as well as the aio. With these measures and the box on it's side, think it'll be fine?

    submitted by /u/cooper-hettinger
    [link] [comments]

    I can Build but I don't Understand!

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 09:06 AM PDT

    So Im pretty knowledgeable as to what to look for when building a PC that fits my needs. But here's where my gap in knowledge is... I know what CPUs and GPUs are good. But I don't know why. Can someone either explain to me or direct me to a source to find the meaning of core count, thread count, what kind of cpus need bigger power supplies. What makes a GPU good, what makes a display better (not just resolution amd refresh rate). I like to know how the things work. I know the different components of PCs, but I want to know what's in each of those components and how they work. Any help?

    submitted by /u/Spunbot
    [link] [comments]

    New PC builder looking to build his second build seeking advice

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    Hello good friends. I hope all of you are doing well. I am waiting for an EVGA RTX 3060 GPU, which should be here Monday at the latest. I was wondering if I could get any suggestions for good parts that won't break the bank ( I already did for the GPU a little bit, shout out to r/hardwareswap!) I would like to have a "budget-but-not-so-budget" build, if that makes any sense. My current 3070 PC was the first I ever built, but I feel bad because I somewhat cheaped out on the CPU/RAM side of things. I would like to make this PC build proper for 1080p gaming , which is what the 3060 is supposed to do very well. I live in Canada and I have access to a Canada Computers store not too far from my residence. Any advice is welcomed, especially on the cooling side of things because this GPU only has 2 fans compared to 3 on my 3070, so optimal cooling is my top priority. Thanks for any help , I will do my best to reply to everyone who is nice enough to provide advice, have a great day everyone!

    submitted by /u/bobbynouchet420
    [link] [comments]

    3070 ti build

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 05:10 AM PDT

    Any major flaws in the parts i chose?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C48TGq

    Also i did pay scalper prices for the 3070, so I can't switch that part

    submitted by /u/Troostite
    [link] [comments]

    How much cooler is a 5900x compared to a 5800x?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 08:50 AM PDT

    So I came from a 3700x which runs very cool (around low 60s) max, to a 5800x which hits 80s while playing battlefield V, idle temps are around the 30s. I knew that the 5800x runs hot because its all 8 cores crammed inside a single CCX. But now I'm considering selling both for a 5900x because BH Photo has a deal which brings it to around $500 after a $75 coupon is applied. My question is, does the 5900x run much cooler than a 5800x? I'm just worried about longtime damage to the 5800x and shorter lifespan in general for the silicon and to my 240mm AIO by constantly having it run at pump speed. I could always go back to my 3700x. Motherboard is a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Snoo_11263
    [link] [comments]

    280 hz monitor on my cpu

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 10:42 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Im just wondering if my processor can handle a 280 hz, 1 ms respons time.

    I have a intel i5-7400

    Can you help me out please, would really appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/13Fronkol13
    [link] [comments]

    Monitors turning off but PC Still Running?

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    Hey Guys I've been gaming lately and every time I play I've been having the issue where both my monitors turn off but the PC is still lit up and running, however, it doesn't turn off from the power button and I have to turn it off from power switch at the back?

    This is so odd to me as this PC isn't even a year old yet with brand new high spec parts. Has anyone had this issue and know how to fix it?

    Has only happened on Apex Legends and Warzone and not while I've been casually browsing and working on the PC.

    Troubleshooting so far

    Stress Test on Cinebench and Heaven (Great Scores No Crashes)

    Multiple Usages of Adobe Software

    Bios Update

    Driver Update in Geforce Experience

    Temps are all normal and good.

    GPU - 3090 FE

    CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x

    PSU - Corsair RM750 750W Modular 80+ Gold

    Motherboard - MSI B550 Edge WIFI

    Ram - 4x 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro (32GB)

    submitted by /u/shxkil
    [link] [comments]

    Need help upgrading

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    I currently have a ryzen 5 2600 and a MSI gtx 1660. I use it mostly for gaming and multitasking and am looking to upgrade the cpu or gpu. Which one should I upgrade first? here is the rest of my build

    submitted by /u/EDOGGY147
    [link] [comments]

    Dedicated M2 NVMe boot drive vs larger M2 NVMe used for OS and general storage

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 10:19 AM PDT

    I've been looking into adding a M.2 drive into my new build. At first I was thinking of going with a 500GB M2 NVME drive as a OS and drivers drive, but thinking of getting a 1TB of the same drive and using it for both OS and files. Any advantage of having a dedicated drive just for the OS? I do have 620GB in 2.5" SSDs and a 1TB HDD so it's not a question of SSD or no SSD.

    submitted by /u/Iceman9161
    [link] [comments]

    1440p 165hz Monitor - 10 Bit HDR & DP vs HDMI Confusion

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! :)

    My monitor is the 27" IPS 1440p 165hz Lenovo G27q-20 with Freesync Premium. It's a great monitor but there is barely anything online about it so that's why I'm asking here. I have "Adaptive Sync Compatible" toggled on in the Radeon settings for my Radeon RX 6800 if that helps with your answers.

    When I first got the monitor, I used the DisplayPort cable that came with it, not giving it a second thought. It would allow me to have 10 bit HDR, but only up to 120hz. If I went past that, it would change to 8 bit + dithering. It does this with the built-in "sRGB mode" as well. I ended up concluding that this limitation is due to my monitor's DisplayPort version being only 1.2.

    However, when I later explored the OSD, it allowed me to select between DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.4 so I concluded that the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor was limiting it. I went out and purchased a VESA certified HBR3 DP cable. I tested it out today, but the same thing happened where it changed from 10 bit to 8 bit + dithering past 120hz. However, this time I also changed the pixel format in the Radeon settings from RGB 4:4:4 to YCbCr 4:2:2 and it actually stayed at 10 bit even at 165hz. What the heck is YCbCR 4:2:2 and should I keep it selected for the 10 bit HDR at 165hz? Also does this mean my monitor is actually DP 1.2 all along?

    Furthermore, I was reading the manual today to figure this out and I noticed that it said the monitor has something called "HDR Decoding" but that it only works over HDMI. What the heck is HDR Decoding and should I use HDMI instead of DP for this feature?

    Thank you so much! :)

    ----------------------------------------------------

    TLDR:

    • What is YCbCR 4:2:2? Should I keep it selected for 10 bit HDR at 165hz or go back to the default RGB 4:4:4 at 8 bit + dithering HDR at 120hz?
    • Does this mean my monitor was DP 1.2 all along despite being able to toggle DP 1.4 in the OSD and even trying an VESA certified HBR3 DP cable?
    • What is Lenovo's HDR Decoding? Should I use HDMI 2.0 instead of DP 1.2/1.4 for this feature?
    submitted by /u/gungur
    [link] [comments]

    how do I sync my argb fans with motherboard while using the adapter

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 02:02 PM PDT

    So my case has 4 argb fans built in and they use 1 3pin 5v female header. My mobo (b450 tomahawk) only has a 4pin 12v output. I bought a deepcool egb convertor which should have solved the problem but the thing is that it isn't syncing up with the msi mystic light and is just going through random colours like I didn't even put the adapter in.

    So my issue is how do I sync the fans and the mobo while using the adapter

    submitted by /u/mmm_NibbaNut
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment